IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-16, 10:29 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Thank you for sharing your feedback on VLine unit! We truly appreciate it.
Your wish list is noted.

Originally Posted by jw669
I was blessed with the opportunity to be a beta version of the V-line. Honestly, I didn't even know GROM was local (Norcal) until I saw the beta test invite.

I have never had a "Smart" unit such as this before, but have had different aux unit/bluetooth units USASpec, DICE, GROM.
Of the three, GROM by far was superior above the rest in terms of reliability, ease of use, and ease of install.

The GROM V-line is no different, and the beta testing experience was spectacular.
The install is clean, unit was installed and tucked away inside the glove box.

The V-line is essentially an Android tablet on your Navi screen, which can be updated over Wifi, and supports any apps that is native and/or natively supported by Android (Google Play).
At home or at the office, the Wi-fi signal is strong and connects automatically.
On the road, internet to feed your favorite apps (Waze, Spotify, etc) is available via Hot Spot. The Hot Spot could use some improvements as it drops out if you do not keep it active, but I'm sure this is something that could be ironed out via software updates. I have been a beta tester for a few months now, and so I am not expecting the unit to be 100% problem free.

Alternatively, those with iPhones have the option to utilize Carplay, which streams seamlessly and the Lexus's screen seem to get an boost in resolution as well.

Personally, I find myself connecting and streaming my music directly to the android side (non-carplay) more often than utilizing carplay option. The bluetooth is almost-as effortless as my previous GROM bluetooth unit, with an occasional hiccup where I'll need to reconnect on the iPhone. No biggy though. A huge added bonus to streaming through this as opposed to just the regular (non v-line) bluetooth unit is the ability to see the song names (And album covers if connected to wifi or phone plugged in), and also the ability to change songs on the screen. (Steering wheel control works, too)

Overall, a very capable unit that is well worth the money. It reminds me of the Tesla giant iPad screen (Just slightly less responsive), and I'm sure any kinks will be worked out prior official release.

Bonus: There's a USB slot on the unit as well, where you can stream movies for your passengers on long trips. Haven't tried it yet, but have been told it works.

Wish List:
Ability to hook Valentine V1 to display alerts on the screen
Reset switch on unit incase unit crashes (to not have to turn car off/on)

If anyone is in the bay area and wants to check it out, I'm in the East Bay.
Old 09-26-16, 08:10 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

My current plan does not support mobile hotspots without an additional plan (which I do not intend to purchase just to use some features in my car), so is there a way to plug in the phone and utilize the data to work with the maps or other apps in this device? Or do you have to have a mobile hotspot setup to work with weather, maps, spotify, etc?

I have an iPhone if that makes any difference.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 09-26-16 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-26-16, 10:41 AM
robtown
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm tied into iOS with all of my content and would rather use CarPlay and not have a separate wireless charge or use my phone as a hotspot.

How does the CarPlay function and is it wireless? If so, I'll take one as well.

Would be be good to get more details about CarPlay specifically or a video ideally.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 09-26-16, 11:01 AM
Orboro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm definitely going to be getting one of these. The old audio system is the biggest gripe for me with this car. Pretty much just having Bluetooth streaming would be amazing haha.
Old 09-26-16, 01:10 PM
roheel
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will the VLine work with this unit in my 2009 ISF

Old 09-26-16, 02:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Post #4 on the first page says does.

Lou
Old 09-26-16, 02:35 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Carplay is not available yet, it is in the development mode and we do not have the ETA when we will pass the certification. There will be the possibility to connect the iPhone via USB to lightning cable, play the music and see the songs information on the display, it will be with the later firmware releases.

Originally Posted by robtown
I'm tied into iOS with all of my content and would rather use CarPlay and not have a separate wireless charge or use my phone as a hotspot.

How does the CarPlay function and is it wireless? If so, I'll take one as well.

Would be be good to get more details about CarPlay specifically or a video ideally.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 09-26-16, 02:36 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Yes it will work with your 2009 ISF. Thank you.

Originally Posted by roheel
Will the VLine work with this unit in my 2009 ISF

Old 09-30-16, 11:40 AM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
My current plan does not support mobile hotspots without an additional plan (which I do not intend to purchase just to use some features in my car), so is there a way to plug in the phone and utilize the data to work with the maps or other apps in this device? Or do you have to have a mobile hotspot setup to work with weather, maps, spotify, etc?
I believe this went unanswered. I too want to know, can you just use you regular phone data plan for this or only a mobile hot spot?
Old 09-30-16, 12:18 PM
tripp03
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Durrby
I believe this went unanswered. I too want to know, can you just use you regular phone data plan for this or only a mobile hot spot?
I asked the same question and you will need a hotspot as the regular phone data plan will not work if you're on ATT. (At least that's what GROM support told me) But lets see what they say as who knows...maybe something has changed.
Old 09-30-16, 12:20 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Sorry, looks like overlooked this question. You can use your phone's data plan, as long as the phone and mobile provider allow for the WiFi tethering. Most of the phones and providers allow that.
Here is how it is done on the OnePlus Android phone:

Thank you.
Old 09-30-16, 12:31 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I can't wait to get my unit! I think they are shipping out today right?
Old 09-30-16, 12:43 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I only ask because I do have an unlimited data plan through T-Mobile but the plan only comes with 7gb for a mobile hotspot. The way apps use data now a days that will only last a few days before overages.
Old 09-30-16, 12:47 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

You need to check if your phone and data plan supports wifi tethering. ATT have some restrictions on that, specially for their unlimited plan. The other providers have different rules.
You will need the internet connection for the Google maps, directions, traffic and online music - web radio, spotify, etc...
NOTE that we are working on the offline Spotify and Google Music integration, and target the update date in about a month - 6 weeks. Spotify requires Premium (paid) account.

Some offline maps applications are available on Google play, we will go through them and give the list of the ones that are recommended. Of course you will need to contact VLine to the internet to access the Google play market, but in such case you don't have to have it connected all the time.

You can also use Bluetooth A2DP streaming for music with VLine, the text and cover art will be displayed when applicable.

Originally Posted by tripp03
I asked the same question and you will need a hotspot as the regular phone data plan will not work if you're on ATT. (At least that's what GROM support told me) But lets see what they say as who knows...maybe something has changed.
Old 09-30-16, 12:54 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

It depends on what apps. The apps that VLine has pre-build do not "eat" much data, but some such as YouTube do.

Thanks for the reply. I only ask because I do have an unlimited data plan through T-Mobile but the plan only comes with 7gb for a mobile hotspot. The way apps use data now a days that will only last a few days before overages.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?