geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

android auto
Old 09-23-16, 01:12 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

For maps, navigation and online apps the VLine needs internet. You can either use your phone's hot spot, or you can get the mobile internet from your provider and the hop spot device. For off line functions such as music stored on VLine or USB stick, or streamed via Bluetooth from the phone, wifi is not needed.
Originally Posted by isfdave86
So you have to turn your phone's wifi hotspot on to use this? Is that correct?
Old 09-23-16, 01:57 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how is the device "triggered" or used? Say I am switching from SAT radio to the VLINE device, how is the display and functionality switched?
Old 09-23-16, 02:09 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by Helo58
Just out of curiosity, how is the device "triggered" or used? Say I am switching from SAT radio to the VLINE device, how is the display and functionality switched?
You press CD button to activate external CD changer option on your car stereo. If you were in SAT radio, you press "CD", VLine is being activated and shown on the screen.
Old 09-23-16, 02:21 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like some more info.

1. Bluetooth A2DP music steaming is available, but there is no integrated control to the steering wheel, is that correct?
2. Are the UI buttons locked out when the car is in drive?
3. When I'm playing music from VLine and I receive a call, how will VLine handle the phone call? Will the music auto resume when the phone call is over?
4. How is the install? Is it plug and play? Any documentation/manual online?
5. The specs indicate 16gb of memory. Can I load music into VLine and play directly? Is the memory expandable by any chance?
6. If unit is defective within 30 days, who will cover the return shipping? Same question for 18 months. FYI - I'm in Canada
7. Can you show more demos, such as live GPS navigation and how well other google play store apps handle with VLine?

Thanks,
Zel
Old 09-23-16, 03:11 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Sure, happy to provide:
1. Steering wheel controls will work with Bluetooth A2DP streaming. You can control the music using steering wheel controls or Lexus touch screen.
2. No they are not, we designed the big UI buttons that are big and easy to use. VLine also has voice activation for Navigation start. Note that driver should always look after the road conditions and do not operate VLine when it is unsafe.
3. You will use the factory hands free to make or receive the phone call. You can use steering wheel controls to accept or reject the phone call. VLine will behave as any other external source (FM, DVD etc), and will stop/resume the playback upon the phone call.
4. To install VLine you will need to take the stereo out, connect the cables, and route the microphone. In general you should have some level of technical ability to install the VLine. No any wire splicing will be required. We are finalizing the documentation, as well as some install videos, and will have all materials available on the website next week.
5. Yes the memory is expandable, you can add via MicroSD (up to 64GB) or USB stick (up to 500GB). And store your music there, you can also add it directly to the VLine.
6. According to our policy for the manufacturer replacements we cover the shipping to the customer. The customer sends the product back to us for the warranty service on his own. Note that 30 days money back guarantee starts on the date when you receive the VLine, and you can return for any reason, if in the original condition, without any restocking fee.
7. Sure, we will do real time GPS navigation video. As for the other apps, can you please specify what apps you are interested to see the demo of?
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
I would like some more info.

1. Bluetooth A2DP music steaming is available, but there is no integrated control to the steering wheel, is that correct?
2. Are the UI buttons locked out when the car is in drive?
3. When I'm playing music from VLine and I receive a call, how will VLine handle the phone call? Will the music auto resume when the phone call is over?
4. How is the install? Is it plug and play? Any documentation/manual online?
5. The specs indicate 16gb of memory. Can I load music into VLine and play directly? Is the memory expandable by any chance?
6. If unit is defective within 30 days, who will cover the return shipping? Same question for 18 months. FYI - I'm in Canada
7. Can you show more demos, such as live GPS navigation and how well other google play store apps handle with VLine?

Thanks,
Zel
Old 09-23-16, 04:02 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Just bought one. Was really, really hoping someone would come through with an upgrade. This looks great.

Can you tell us more about the HDMI ports

Also any chance of integrating Android Auto?

Also how does audio resume? If im playing Spotify, turn my car off, and then get back in later, will it auto resume?

If I had an app open, turn the car off, turn it back on, is my app still up? is my app still running?

thanks!
Old 09-23-16, 04:36 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by tripp03
Well, specONE did post a quick clip while sitting in traffic although it was removed moments ago but don't know why... (hence my questions above)
Here is a video of me driving with it on a early Beta version of it a couple of months back.
Old 09-23-16, 04:48 PM
tripp03
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
Here is a video of me driving with it on a early Beta version of it a couple of months back.
Google maps Lexus - YouTube
Hey SpecOne, so how did you like it? Do still have it installed?
Old 09-23-16, 06:25 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Very cool!!!! Can't wait till the Gen 6 Nav (2010+) version comes out
Old 09-23-16, 07:52 PM
Antolope
10th Gear

@Grom, hey guys, would love to get in on this but I've read elsewhere a Beta Tester having issues and frustrated. Listen, I need to preface that I'm not here to crap on you guys cause I love love love the concept. But before I shell out the money, I need to know it works. He posted info and pics here:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/grom....935971/page-4

below is one of his pics:

[img]webkit-fake-url://8021d020-0d77-4c45-b632-727c4540310c/imagejpeg[/img]

And he says this:

"Part 2- the
VLine VLine
review. So while the guy is showing me how to use it (replaces the CD function) it's already buggy and not working. Have to shut off the car and back on twice before it works. Ok it's beta- I get it. But I just auth $399 on my card and if I keep this thing then they keep $199. It's working as I take off. Has CarPlay (which is what I wanted to use) and Google Auto and of course the Grom interface. The CarPlay worked for about 15 min and then while playing with the options suddenly no audio at all. Pulled over, restarted the car and after a few attempts it's working. For about 20 min. I decide to run the "updates" from the menu to see if that works. Google Auto installs and works for about 10 min. Then I get an error that "Unfortunately System UI has stopped". I've unplugged everything, restarted the car several times and nothing helps. It takes multiple attempts even for the unit to take over the Nav screen. It's a total piece of crap and all I can get is audio when plugged in. Useless. So after 4 days I'm ready for them to remove it. What a waste of time."

what at can you tell me about this issue?

Old 09-23-16, 07:55 PM
Antolope
10th Gear

@Grom, hey guys, would love to get in on this but I've read elsewhere a Beta Tester having issues and frustrated. Listen, I need to preface that I'm not here to crap on you guys cause I love love love the concept. But before I shell out the money, I need to know it works. Granted this was back in April but I need to know that these bugs have been squashed. He posted info and pics here:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/grom....935971/page-4

He shows this pic:

And then he says this:

"Part 2- the VLine review. So while the guy is showing me how to use it (replaces the CD function) it's already buggy and not working. Have to shut off the car and back on twice before it works. Ok it's beta- I get it. But I just auth $399 on my card and if I keep this thing then they keep $199. It's working as I take off. Has CarPlay (which is what I wanted to use) and Google Auto and of course the Grom interface. The CarPlay worked for about 15 min and then while playing with the options suddenly no audio at all. Pulled over, restarted the car and after a few attempts it's working. For about 20 min. I decide to run the "updates" from the menu to see if that works. Google Auto installs and works for about 10 min. Then I get an error that "Unfortunately System UI has stopped". I've unplugged everything, restarted the car several times and nothing helps. It takes multiple attempts even for the unit to take over the Nav screen. It's a total piece of crap and all I can get is audio when plugged in. Useless. So after 4 days I'm ready for them to remove it. What a waste of time."

what at can you tell me about this issue? Have the bugs been removed/addressed?

Last edited by Antolope; 09-23-16 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-23-16, 08:15 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

<<<<<windows phone user...compatibility? I like it when I received a text message through Bluetooth my voice navigation reads it for me and I can reply as well...will this change?
Old 09-23-16, 09:16 PM
LexusinBoi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Certification is pending, no ETA yet. Good thing that VLine is stand alone unit, you don't really have to use the phone except for the wifi hot spot or Bluetooth streaming if needed. The maps are all available via VLine. Factory Bluetooth for hands free phone calls also keeps working.
when it does get approved, would there be a new unit or can this one be updated to include CarPlay?

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?