IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 07:57 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrsltr
I'm buying a 2008 GX470 soon, and I started reading up about Grom's Vline last night, and have a couple questions:

1.) Why does Vline come with a GPS antenna and a Microphone? Does installing a Vline deactivate factory GPS and Bluetooth handsfree calling?
Or are those included for vehicles without those options from the factory?

2.) Does installation interfere at all with the backup camera switching on when vehicle is put in reverse? I want my backup camera to continue its default nav screen override whenever the vehicle is shifted in reverse. I don't want to have to push any buttons or anything to bring it up.

Looks like a very promising product, and once Carplay is certified and the bugs are worked out, I'm most likely gonna get one.
In my ES350, the backup camera doesn't come on all the time. Sometimes, it'll be stuck at the loading screen and just display "ANDROID" other times, it will remain in whatever app is running instead of showing the backup camera. I've been in touch with GROM support since OCTOBER, but they haven't been able to provide a solution yet.
Old 12-07-16, 12:27 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
In my ES350, the backup camera doesn't come on all the time. Sometimes, it'll be stuck at the loading screen and just display "ANDROID" other times, it will remain in whatever app is running instead of showing the backup camera. I've been in touch with GROM support since OCTOBER, but they haven't been able to provide a solution yet.
The firmware update is coming this week via newsletter that will fix those issues. Or make sure to check this page later this week:
http://gromaudio.com/software.html
The following users liked this post:
hypervish (12-07-16)
Old 12-07-16, 12:32 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Whoop whoop!
Old 12-12-16, 01:34 AM
VDODSON
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still trying to wrap my head around this. What device is powering the usage of these apps? Is it being powered from your phone? Does this allow video playback while driving? Is this device capable of powering a phone?
Old 12-12-16, 05:36 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VDODSON
Still trying to wrap my head around this. What device is powering the usage of these apps? Is it being powered from your phone? Does this allow video playback while driving? Is this device capable of powering a phone?
it's a standalone android device. It runs the apps. You need to provide it with an. Internet connection and you can do so using your smartphone hot spot or get some other mobile hotspot device for your car.

the device charges anything you plug in via its USB ports.

many apps allow you to watch video - Netflix, Hulu, etc.

it has CarPlay as well and in the case of CarPlay, your phone is doing the work.
Old 12-12-16, 07:44 AM
VDODSON
Driver

Originally Posted by rehr0001
it's a standalone android device. It runs the apps. You need to provide it with an. Internet connection and you can do so using your smartphone hot spot or get some other mobile hotspot device for your car.

the device charges anything you plug in via its USB ports.

many apps allow you to watch video - Netflix, Hulu, etc.

it has CarPlay as well and in the case of CarPlay, your phone is doing the work.
Cheers mate, I finally get it....
Old 12-13-16, 07:12 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gromaudio
The firmware update is coming this week via newsletter that will fix those issues. Or make sure to check this page later this week:
http://gromaudio.com/software.html
just checking in on this update.
Old 12-15-16, 02:53 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by GarageB
just checking in on this update.
Should be up tomorrow. Fixing last minute issues.
Old 12-15-16, 06:14 PM
deanfun
Driver School Candidate

Received mine today. The power cable supplied was correct for my 2007 LX.

I installed it temporarily to check out functionality and... it's got some issues.

I was able to pair the device with my iPhone 6, however my iPhone would never actually connect via bluetooth. Trying to connect via my phone would tell me that vline is not in range. I did this with unit on the bluetooth settings page (ie. discoverable). I tried multiple times with no success. Fail.

I was able to join one of the wifi networks in my house with reported decent speed (72Mbps), however actually using that connection resulted in failure. I was able to log on to spotify, but not actually stream music. I did get music via the web radio app... for about 30 seconds. Attempting to check for an over-the-air update did not work... except for the one time it did discover an update, only to sit there for 5 minutes without the status bar moving at all. Fail.

I have another wifi network in the house that I am able to connect to on my phone and MacBook while inside the truck that the unit could not see at all. Fail.

I attempted to join my phones wifi hotspot. The hotspot showed up on the unit and would occasionally join it, but would not do anything once connected. Fail.

The unit was able to figure out my location and the temperature (-24C!), so at some point it used wifi and the GPS antenna. Success?

So... all in all not a great start. Not really sure what my path forward is right now.
Old 12-15-16, 09:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

It's -24C and you expect all to be good? That's colder than a witch's teat in a brass brassiere!

Seriously, your issues do nothing to make me confident this device will make me as happy as the current generation of Lexus connectivity I experience in the wife's GSF. It really works well.
Old 12-15-16, 10:23 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by deanfun
Received mine today. The power cable supplied was correct for my 2007 LX.

I installed it temporarily to check out functionality and... it's got some issues.

I was able to pair the device with my iPhone 6, however my iPhone would never actually connect via bluetooth. Trying to connect via my phone would tell me that vline is not in range. I did this with unit on the bluetooth settings page (ie. discoverable). I tried multiple times with no success. Fail.

I was able to join one of the wifi networks in my house with reported decent speed (72Mbps), however actually using that connection resulted in failure. I was able to log on to spotify, but not actually stream music. I did get music via the web radio app... for about 30 seconds. Attempting to check for an over-the-air update did not work... except for the one time it did discover an update, only to sit there for 5 minutes without the status bar moving at all. Fail.

I have another wifi network in the house that I am able to connect to on my phone and MacBook while inside the truck that the unit could not see at all. Fail.

I attempted to join my phones wifi hotspot. The hotspot showed up on the unit and would occasionally join it, but would not do anything once connected. Fail.

The unit was able to figure out my location and the temperature (-24C!), so at some point it used wifi and the GPS antenna. Success?

So... all in all not a great start. Not really sure what my path forward is right now.
Seems like antenna issue to me. I suggest taking off the top cover and checking antenna connections.
Old 12-16-16, 05:27 AM
deanfun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's -24C and you expect all to be good? That's colder than a witch's teat in a brass brassiere!.
It's -34C outside this morning, before windchill. In the garage it's a balmy +7C.
Old 12-16-16, 05:30 AM
deanfun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Seems like antenna issue to me. I suggest taking off the top cover and checking antenna connections.
I will take a look at it tonight. Any warranty or return issues from opening it up?

I'm somewhat concerned because the antenna is working well enough to see my phone and pair with it, but not fully connect. It's also able to see (some) wifi networks and connect, but not transfer data in any meaningful or consistent way.

Thanks for the reply, by the way. Like many in this post, I want to see the product meet expectations so I'm hoping I can make some progress.
Old 12-16-16, 02:59 PM
Orboro
Driver School Candidate

Do you accept returns of unopened products? I'm about to sell my car and haven't even opened it yet.
Old 12-18-16, 07:10 AM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

just installed mine, loving it so far

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?