IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

08 electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 03:32 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 08 electrical problem

On the way home from a short drive from my parents house my gauges went a little crazy. I will be pulling the codes from my OBD2 soon and let you know what they are. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
https://youtu.be/txc74pO89D4
Old 09-17-16, 04:32 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my gauges go crazy right before I lost a cell on my battery. After I replaced the battery the issue went away.
Old 09-17-16, 05:07 PM
socal3
Intermediate

I'll look into that because I just pulled out my OBD2 reader and there were no codes stored or pending.
Old 09-17-16, 05:48 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Same problem here . My wife was driving the F and those same lights went off. I disconnected the negative terminal and the code went away. When I went to put gas the cap was loose.
Old 09-17-16, 09:41 PM
socal3
Intermediate

I'm going to put the car on a trickle charge tonight. I just find it odd
all the lights on but no check engine or codes you guys are probably right with battery/altanator.
Old 09-18-16, 04:28 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by socal3
I'm going to put the car on a trickle charge tonight. I just find it odd
all the lights on but no check engine or codes you guys are probably right with battery/altanator.
Before you do that, get the battery tested. If the car is a 2008 and has the original battery, I am willing to bet it's time to change the battery.

Old 09-18-16, 05:37 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wmjeffreyw
I had my gauges go crazy right before I lost a cell on my battery. After I replaced the battery the issue went away.
About 3 weeks ago the same thing happened to me. Flat battery, got it jump started and the gauges will fluctuate, disappear and the sat nav would also disappear. Steering was jerky etc.

Failed cell, bad smell overnight in the garage (sulfur) and it caused a fan relay to stay on so the fan kept going etc.

New 720CCA battery fitted and all the problems went away.
Old 09-18-16, 07:32 AM
socal3
Intermediate

The battery is only a little over a year old it's an optima red top but like I mentioned the car hasn't got on the road much since I broke my leg. Would driving the car a long distance help at all? I was supposed to go to a family function about 40 miles away but I'm scared to put my 5 year old in the car just in case the steering hardens up again.
Old 09-18-16, 12:07 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The battery is only a little over a year old it's an optima red top but like I mentioned the car hasn't got on the road much since I broke my leg. Would driving the car a long distance help at all? I was supposed to go to a family function about 40 miles away but I'm scared to put my 5 year old in the car just in case the steering hardens up again.
Whilst batteries generally last about the 3 to 4 yr mark, not driving often doesn't help and batteries can fail. Get it tested, they can tell you if it's holding charge, failed cell, gone into open circuit, needs to be bench charged etc
Old 09-18-16, 02:03 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ISF5L
Whilst batteries generally last about the 3 to 4 yr mark, not driving often doesn't help and batteries can fail. Get it tested, they can tell you if it's holding charge, failed cell, gone into open circuit, needs to be bench charged etc
let me watch a YouTube video I really have never tested a battery before lol
Old 09-21-16, 10:04 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ISF5L
About 3 weeks ago the same thing happened to me. Flat battery, got it jump started and the gauges will fluctuate, disappear and the sat nav would also disappear. Steering was jerky etc.

Failed cell, bad smell overnight in the garage (sulfur) and it caused a fan relay to stay on so the fan kept going etc.

New 720CCA battery fitted and all the problems went away.
well I should have know cars just don't fix themselves lol. I've driven the car twice around 45 miles and no problem. Then this morning right when I started the car I knew it would happen cause the rpms never went below 12-1300 on warmup. Sure enough 200 yards from the house the lights all came back on.
I have an Xforce exhaust and it never did get that real secure fit on the passenger side connection from the header to the exhaust so I'm going to start there and get the battery bench tested. Of course this has to happen when I have a broken leg FML! Thanks members for listening to my rant👍
Old 09-21-16, 10:54 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

My friend is a retired Toyota Master mechanic and mentioned Optima had some issues with their batteries to the point Sears stopped selling them or something in that nature.

Get it tested and let us know.

Old 09-21-16, 11:06 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
My friend is a retired Toyota Master mechanic and mentioned Optima had some issues with their batteries to the point Sears stopped selling them or something in that nature.

Get it tested and let us know.
is autozone a good place to test a battery?
Old 09-21-16, 01:50 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

is autozone a good place to test a battery?
They'll test it for you. You can also test it yourself if you know how to use a multimeter and have one.
Old 09-21-16, 01:54 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
They'll test it for you. You can also test it yourself if you know how to use a multimeter and have one.
i have 1 but I heard from a car mechanic friend of mine that it needs to be done on the load tester. I'm an aircraft mechanic don't know much about cars LOL

Quick Reply: 08 electrical problem