IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mid-West ISF owners - Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 05:27 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Mid-West ISF owners - Looking for suggestions

I am relocating for work from the SF Bay Area (California) to Lake County, Il (ChicagoLand). In regards to living in an area that really has 4 seasons and snowy winters with salted roads, what do you recommend.

1. Keep the ISF, get a set of 18" wheels with snow/ice tires
2. Keep the ISF and pick up an inexpensive AWD vehicle (used Subaru, Land Cruiser, etc.) for winters
3. Trade in the ISF for a dedicated AWD for year round, a newer Land Cruiser or Lexus LX 570

I'm curious to hear peoples thoughts.
Thanks!~
Andy
Old 09-15-16, 05:48 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd suggest option #2. Imho the winter beater is the way to go, the season can be brutal where you're headed.

The older Forester (1998 - 2004) is a ringer, but they ask a lot for low mileage ones on the used vehicle market.
Old 09-15-16, 05:55 PM
redstar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do buy a Subaru avoid that 2.5L engine....there's a reason it is black circled in Consumer Reports pretty every year 1990-2006...head gasket fails
Old 09-15-16, 06:03 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another vote for #2, a beater makes you appreciate your car so much more while keeping it in good shape.
Old 09-15-16, 06:27 PM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in Ontario Canada and we get lots of snow. I vote #1, ISF is a very capable in winter with good winter tires. I was pushing thru 12 inches of snow like a boat with 2 bags of sand in my trunk and front pointing to the sky, nice and easy, 90% of my neighbours where stuck in snow on my street that day, all had fwd cars, cuv's.
Back in the day I had s2000 that was parked 6 mth over winter in my garage, when I sold it I was actually pissed what a waste of money on depritiation that was and I had to drive a beater for 6mths, I said never again, use your Isf, wash the salt off often and of course prep it for winter with few coats of wax, you'll be fine
Old 09-15-16, 06:57 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I vote for #2.........................I don't daily my F I drive a minivan around during the week for the most part, so the F always feels like a beast when I do jump in
Old 09-15-16, 07:30 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

There are 3 of us in Peoria, IL who daily our F's and all have wheels with snow tires on them. The car is fine with snow tires, but if you have the means to get a beater SUV then I would absolutely go that route!
Old 09-16-16, 05:43 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Just moved to Lake Zurich (which is in Lake County), I can help you with this. I've been hanging out in this town for awhile.

#4 - STAY IN SF. =)

Else, #2. Get yourself a beater. However, I have never had an AWD car and I don't believe it to be necessary. Get yourself a used Accord or something front wheel drive and you'll be fine. You'll open up your options more & save some cash! Plus, absence makes the heart grow fonder, as does any work you do to the F in the garage over the winter.

Edit: and welcome to the neighborhood. I'm certain you'll see me as I'm the only F around here. You won't miss me - Mercury metallic with a black roof, blackouts, & blue calipers.
There's a ton of hot rods up here so get ready for some fun.
Old 09-16-16, 08:17 AM
Lextasy4
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#2 for sure! Keep the ISF away from that Chicago salt.
Old 09-16-16, 08:18 AM
Lextasy4
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
There are 3 of us in Peoria, IL who daily our F's and all have wheels with snow tires on them. The car is fine with snow tires, but if you have the means to get a beater SUV then I would absolutely go that route!
I am from Peoria and will be there this weekend. Do you guys ever do any cruises?
Old 09-16-16, 08:28 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextasy4
I am from Peoria and will be there this weekend. Do you guys ever do any cruises?
Not really... all married with kids and limited free time... we get together for monthly cars & coffee events though (the next one is on 10/1, you should come then!)
Old 09-16-16, 08:47 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep the F and you find a winter beater like a gx470 (07-09). It's a solid truck and you can check it at gx forum. Another is Acura RDX (10-12) .It's a fun small SUV.
Old 09-16-16, 09:35 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I live in Lake County, IL and drive my IS-F year round with winter wheels and tires and summer wheels and tires.

I also really don't care too much about it as its a 2008 daily driver with 60k on it....as long as you keep the car paint waxed and wash it in your garage with Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax you will be fine.

If the weather gets really bad, I personally just work from home.

I am not aware of how SF highways are, but in Illinois in the winter there are lots of small rocks, etc....you might want your car to have a clear bra on the front of it.

Last edited by MisterSkiz; 09-16-16 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-16-16, 10:56 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Lots of great information here. Thanks everyone! We are likely to be living in Barrington and I will be commuting to Lake Forest for work. My F is a 2008 with 72k miles and I'm looking to keep it for a long time so I think I'll go route #2 and pick up a "winter car". I'll find one here in California as there are plenty of older, higher milage cars that are well preserved from the dry weather, no snow, no salt to deal with.

It's great to see other members with F's in the area! I'll be looking to make new friends and other petrolheads are a great place to start!

It looks like there are a lot of Subaru's with new head gaskets on the used market. I've always wanted a burly built Land Cruiser or LX 450/470/570 put pricing is outrageous for many of them I haven't considered a GX but I probably should, they don't value like the LC/LX.
Old 09-16-16, 11:02 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Lots of great information here. Thanks everyone! We are likely to be living in Barrington and I will be commuting to Lake Forest for work. My F is a 2008 with 72k miles and I'm looking to keep it for a long time so I think I'll go route #2 and pick up a "winter car". I'll find one here in California as there are plenty of older, higher milage cars that are well preserved from the dry weather, no snow, no salt to deal with.

It's great to see other members with F's in the area! I'll be looking to make new friends and other petrolheads are a great place to start!

It looks like there are a lot of Subaru's with new head gaskets on the used market. I've always wanted a burly built Land Cruiser or LX 450/470/570 put pricing is outrageous for many of them I haven't considered a GX but I probably should, they don't value like the LC/LX.

I shot you a PM.....Barrington to Lake Forest might take you a while in the mornings.....have you looked at houses in Vernon Hills, Libertyville?

Quick Reply: Mid-West ISF owners - Looking for suggestions