IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Extended Warranty issues with I/H/E and throttle controller??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 10:24 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Extended Warranty issues with I/H/E and throttle controller??

Yesterday I dropped off my ISF to get a few things fixed due to my extended warranty expiring in a few weeks (leaky water pump, LED lights out in gauge cluster, a sunroof that won't close after opening without holding down the button, and finicky transmission that sometimes doesn't upshift from 1-2 gear under WOT). I just got a call back from the dealership saying that they called in the warranty work, and apparently they are sending out a claims adjuster to look at the vehicle before approving any repairs due to the "extensive modifications" done to the vehicle. All I have are PPE headers, Borla exhaust, HPS intake tube, and an Apexi throttle controller, none of which have any affect on any of the things that were submitted for repair. He said the things I have done to the vehicle "affect the way the computer controls the entire car, and the Apexi device modifies the transmission shift points (WTF??), and therefore the adjuster may require the vehicle to be put back to 100% stock before approving any repairs". I pointed out that the intake, headers and exhaust simply help the engine breathe better, and the Apexi is actually a throttle controller which modifies the responsiveness of the throttle - it doesn't change anything in the transmission. And even if they don't approve any transmission repair, none of my modification have any affect whatsoever on the water pump or gauge cluster - but he said they still may not even approve those repairs unless I put it back to stock, which is total BS. Has anyone with similar modifications had any problem getting unrelated items fixed under warranty?

Last edited by jleonard71; 09-07-16 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-07-16, 11:23 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to another dealer, they're not all like that. Mine never cared.

I see you're in AZ so if you went to Lexus of Chandler GET YOUR CAR OUT OF THERE NOW.

I've gone a huge rant on their Yelp / Google+ so I'll spare you the essay but here's their handy work after the fuel line recall. The General Manager himself all but refused to make it right it right and I had to turn to Yelp / Google + and convince my dealer to cover 2/3 of the cost before they'd help.

Yes, that's a duct tape.

Name:  1559F0AF-2523-4597-946E-820D1DCD67E2_zpszrm3hieq.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  265.8 KB
Old 09-07-16, 11:54 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Fantastic. That's exactly one of the things I'm having done while it's in there. When I dropped it off I mentioned to my service advisor that I had seen countless comments online about people having issues with their wire harness getting cracked and being put back together with duct tape or electrical tape. He scoffed when I said that, and his reply was- verbatim - "if it breaks we'll fix it right, we would never just tape it up".
Old 09-07-16, 12:17 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't specify so I still hope it isn't Lexus of Chandler...
Old 09-07-16, 12:24 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Im curious about that 1-2 upshift thing, has your tranny been having any other odd behaviors? Also strange to see how many issues you're having, is your car very high mileage?

Last edited by nks979; 09-07-16 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 01:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

This is what I was afraid of. Messing with these cars under warranty could end in disaster. I track my car HARD. I am afraid of adding more mods than my exhaust and wheels in case I damage something or blow something up. Even the AOS makes me nervous. These frikn dealers act like they will not get paid for doing the work.
Old 09-07-16, 02:00 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Sadly, you shouldn't be surprised by the response of the dealer. In theory, they have to "prove" that the modification caused the failure to deny a warranty claim, however, you can see how easy it is for them to stonewall you. Good luck getting things taken care of. It's always a crapshoot with the mods.
Old 09-07-16, 07:28 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
You didn't specify so I still hope it isn't Lexus of Chandler...
Unfortunately, yes it is Lexus of Chandler.
Old 09-07-16, 10:16 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Staying tuned in for the result. I just got an aftermarket warranty and this is my biggest fear. Granted I'm only cats/muffler delete, apexi, and hps, I still worry.
Old 09-08-16, 09:50 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
Staying tuned in for the result. I just got an aftermarket warranty and this is my biggest fear. Granted I'm only cats/muffler delete, apexi, and hps, I still worry.
That's about all I have, plus headers - which he didn't even mention. I can maybe understand how they could say my mods have added more power to the vehicle, which they have, and therefore any transmission issues aren't covered because it wasn't designed to handle the extra power (even though it's only maybe a 15% boost in HP). But to say that any of my modifications have anything to do with a leaky water pump or faulty LED's in the gauge cluster is just ridiculous. The adjuster is supposed to be looking at the car today so I should know by the end of the day if they're going to cover it or not. After reading a few other threads on here about transmissions it seems that it may just need a fluid change, so I suppose I'll have them go ahead and do that if they won't do anything for the tranny under warranty.
Old 09-08-16, 10:24 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If your "lifetime" ATF is low like Lobux thinks then it should be included in warranty as well, an actual transmission fault though may not be
Old 09-08-16, 02:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

These extended warranties are ****!! They will not replace anything unless it totally set toyed. They take the $2400 and make you dance to have **** fixed . It's a scam because they know we will always buy the warranty
Old 09-08-16, 05:17 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

same issue with my lexus dealer, they would not touch the car because i have a joe z exhaust. they told me to put the stock one on so they can get an adjuster from the warranty to get it approve for the repairs. i am gonna put it back to stock just so they can fix all the issues i have and make my warranty i paid for worth it lol
Old 09-08-16, 06:47 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
same issue with my lexus dealer, they would not touch the car because i have a joe z exhaust. they told me to put the stock one on so they can get an adjuster from the warranty to get it approve for the repairs. i am gonna put it back to stock just so they can fix all the issues i have and make my warranty i paid for worth it lol
Guess I have to appreciate my dealer, I'm about to buy a warranty with an exhaust already. And I know they have no problems with doing warranty work with full ihe setup
Old 09-08-16, 07:08 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I just had my radiator replaced under warranty. My dealer/service dept. didn't say a word about my Borla exhaust. The radiator was replaced, fully covered by warranty. It's sad that some dealers are cool about mods, and some are so ridiculous about them.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty issues with I/H/E and throttle controller??