IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

KW V3 suspension experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 10:04 PM
flawless
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KW V3 suspension experience

Anybody running KW V3's? My car came with this setup, I don't know what the adjustments are set at, but I want to find out and make adjustments if necessary to support track days.
Old 09-04-16, 08:36 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

KWs suck for track use! The spring rates are waaaay too soft. They're good for a plush ride if that is what you're after.
Old 09-04-16, 11:16 AM
flawless
Driver

Originally Posted by kauaian
KWs suck for track use! The spring rates are waaaay too soft. They're good for a plush ride if that is what you're after.
I could understand that, if KW chose the rates for ride quality instead of track. However, the shocks have more adjustability so im wondering if someone has used them for track days and what they did to set them up correctly. I could change springs if necessary and still keep the rebound/compression adjustments on the KW's which are not on the factory shocks.

Or I could put the factory suspension back on, but I know I need to get some factory parts because the KW used them with some cutting for fitment, so they cant be re-used. But I don't know exactly what's needed and then I would also probably change springs on the factory shocks and would need to know which to choose.
Old 09-05-16, 01:46 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

I actually reached out to KW about swapping springs for a higher rate but they never responded.
Old 09-05-16, 01:49 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

If you want coils that are more track oriented and can be used for DD use as well look into Penskes.

The only modification required on the OEM parts for use with the KWs are widening holes on the top of the front top hats. If you want some cheap OEM dampers and springs shoot me a message as my 08 set has been collecting dust for some time. You have them for cheap!!
Old 09-05-16, 09:49 AM
flawless
Driver

If you want coils that are more track oriented and can be used for DD use as well look into Penskes.

The only modification required on the OEM parts for use with the KWs are widening holes on the top of the front top hats. If you want some cheap OEM dampers and springs shoot me a message as my 08 set has been collecting dust for some time. You have them for cheap!!
Do you know if they are the same for my 2011?
Old 09-05-16, 07:11 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

MY 08-09 had the stiffest suspension of all years. Coming from KWs it will feel very stiff but IMO handles better. I believe there were minimal suspension changes in MY 10-11 with the most significant change being in 2012 when Lexus went with a totally different damper.
Old 09-05-16, 07:30 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a comparison thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-premium.html
The following users liked this post:
Rkwo999 (01-14-24)
Old 09-05-16, 09:25 PM
STRAN
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have experience on KW V3 vs. OEM 2012 suspension with Swift springs? Softer? Harsh?
Old 09-06-16, 06:51 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by STRAN
Anyone have experience on KW V3 vs. OEM 2012 suspension with Swift springs? Softer? Harsh?
I have 12 with Swift Springs. It will definitely be harsher.
Old 09-06-16, 01:15 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Couldnt have said it better. Very soft ride. I have had them for over a year now. I dont track and baby my car so it works perfect. I love them.
Old 09-06-16, 02:30 PM
flawless
Driver

I actually reached out to KW about swapping springs for a higher rate but they never responded.
That's disappointing to hear, but I was also wondering if they would recommend different rebound/compression settings. The KW's offer the adjustability you would want from a performance shock, so Id be surprised that they couldn't be made to work better than the factory suspension.
Old 09-06-16, 08:45 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I remember reading that they were under sprung from KW and there was no real rhyme or reason as to why KW didn't offer a better set-up for our cars? But a lot of guys on here have them and they seem to like them if you aren't tracking the car.
Old 09-07-16, 06:22 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

I have them on my FRS love them but then again I track the F not the FRS.
Old 09-07-16, 10:46 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

It has been discussed before and the primary reason KW has not reinvested into the platform is that there are few Lexus vehicles in Germany and this was done as a touring upgrade not a performance upgrade on early model cars. The V3 is twintube and undersprung. We have retrofitted several V3 application with higher rates and increased rebound damping to compensate with good results. Bottom line is damping (high speed damping) in not a substitute for spring rate. It slows response which reduces grip. But just consider what type fo track driving you will do, what tires, what speeds, what brakes and for what lapping duration.There is no miracle for every situation, only careful compromises to address various uses.

Our Ohlins setup handles both situations great and is the quietest, widest ride height range track rated setup available. Plus they are road rated for salt spray, longevity etc without maintenance.
http://shopfigs.com/v3/index.php?rou...&search=ohlins

For Track dedicated configurations we offer Penskes with the larger lower body cap, which is a larger bearing and offer a maintenance program as part of the price. These shocks will need nitrogen pressure service and rebuild service to keep them working at peak condition.

http://shopfigs.com/v3/index.php?rou...product_id=175
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
The following users liked this post:
RJMacReady (07-18-23)

Quick Reply: KW V3 suspension experience