IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Isf steering wheel sport button

Old 09-02-16, 08:37 AM
eclipsegst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isf steering wheel sport button

I have a 08 IsF with the sport bottom on the lower dash. Is it possible to get a newer steering wheel with the sport button on it and it work? Worried about how the wiring will run to it. Im sure all i have to do is extend it from its current location the the steering wheel but i dont want it to tear off when i turn
Old 09-02-16, 08:49 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not possible to directly swap the steering wheel and have the sport button working. You would have to run some wires to make this work. There was a bigger topic of discussion on this if you do a search.
Old 09-02-16, 09:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

There is an old thread on this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ing-wheel.html

Lou
Old 09-04-16, 12:20 AM
kitsune
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not wire it near the shifter?
Old 10-09-16, 11:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I took a look at this because I recently drove a 2011 and it was pretty handy having the switch right there. I think moving it is doable electrically because all the necessary connectors have the same physical traits across all the years. Since I will have access to a 2011 for a bit, I will take a look at this and see just how practical it is. The steering wheel switch assembly is not exactly cheap and you would also want to buy a new Snow switch to replace the existing switch after the wire move. So it will likely be about three hundred bucks at a minimum...

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-09-16 at 11:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rickna (09-16-21)
Old 10-10-16, 09:30 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't mind running it near the center counsel. even though I can reach the switch no problem, sometimes I don't want to stretch out my arm LOL.
Old 10-10-16, 09:35 AM
Jerry_Supra
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I took a look at this because I recently drove a 2011 and it was pretty handy having the switch right there. I think moving it is doable electrically because all the necessary connectors have the same physical traits across all the years. Since I will have access to a 2011 for a bit, I will take a look at this and see just how practical it is. The steering wheel switch assembly is not exactly cheap and you would also want to buy a new Snow switch to replace the existing switch after the wire move. So it will likely be about three hundred bucks at a minimum...
Dude, it's a 2012.
Old 10-10-16, 11:43 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Why not just assign it to "Mode" switch in the steering wheel and ditch Snow altogether? I find that Mode switch - in any car - to be utterly useless.
Old 10-11-16, 06:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Jerry_Supra
Dude, it's a 2012.
Indeed it is. Texted you about it too.
Old 10-12-16, 03:47 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Why not just assign it to "Mode" switch in the steering wheel and ditch Snow altogether? I find that Mode switch - in any car - to be utterly useless.
i wouldn't say uterrly useless. I'm in Miami and I constantly use it when I get caught under the rain. I find it extremely handy. It makes the car feel like a tank under extreme rain. I been stupid enough to take it up to 100mph under snow mode. With extreme rain. It worked marvelous!
Old 10-12-16, 03:49 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Lance what's your opinion now driving the 2008 and 2012 ISF? In general not just performance? Do you find the 2012 slower?
Old 10-12-16, 06:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No, not slower at all. Significantly better ride, especially on bad pavement. Torsen is better than open diff, but not as good as OS Giken. Just wish it had something for a muffler on it. It's a straight pipe exhaust. Hard to hear yourself think.
Old 10-12-16, 06:57 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Are you serious? Did you drive it in the winter to find that mode useless? With that button and proper set of winter tires I can get off the line better then some awd cars.
That snow button does wonders for ppl living in the snow belt and using their cars on a daily basis. And like someone said it works great in the rain especially when your tires are well used up.
Old 10-13-16, 09:41 AM
Kyle4207
Driver School Candidate

If your older model doesn't have the radar cruise control you can do this easily. I have done it and it works great. If you know how to read schematics and can solder you are golden. I put the 2013 silver steering wheel button console in my 2010, the spiral harness through the steering column is the same for older and newer vehicles, found the correct harness in the dash that would plug into the radar cruise control ECU (not there if you don't have it) to tap into and spliced a wire to hook up to the stock installed sport mode button. Sorry, I don't have time to do a write up for everyone.
Old 10-13-16, 12:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I wouldn't solder a harness wire, but it's good to know there is an available wire instead of having to run one from the existing switch to the spiral cable harness. What color was the radar cruise control wire? The sport mode wire is green.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Isf steering wheel sport button