IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

F having problems, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-16, 05:20 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default F having problems, need help

Hey CL, just took the F out for a drive and noticed it felt somewhat slow, just letting my foot off the brake did not let the car roll easily as it normally does, had to give it gas to get it to move, same when already moving it almost felt like it was rolling with the parking brake still lightly applied ( I frequently use it but it was off ). I did not try giving it full throttle while I was out and instead brought it straight back to the garage, initially suspected jammed parking brake but the rear wheels do not seem to be hot nor do they have a smell that would make me think they have an issue. Also noticed when stopped at a red that it was idling very low (<500) and barely making noise at idle as well, I have a bazooka exhaust so it makes lots of noise any time it is running, near silent idle is not normal. Took a vid when I got back and the ticking sound is very loud, which made me think that the hairline fracture in the original headers (not confirmed but I assume it is because of the ticking noise)could have given out more and is making a serious loss of power. Any input from you guys is much appreciated as I am 2 hours from the nearest trustworthy dealer/shop and absolutely need a car this week.

Here is video after ~20 minutes of driving.
https://*******/d8ko

Last edited by nks979; 08-27-16 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 05:43 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a slight tap/wrapping noise at the low idle. <500rpm. If you do a search you will find this is common. If you are not running a load on the alt (headlights, fans) or running the ac it is normal for the idle to drop low. My car does it on days I have the windows down and the climate control off. When the idle is low there will be less torque converter force on the final drive. It sounds as though all is normal. If you had all accessories off, try turning on your headlights and AC and see if things feel more normal.
Old 08-27-16, 05:47 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Well at least I feel better about that part of it as headlights and ac were off, still feels like its dragging during driving though along with the ticking noise you can hear very loudly even against the bazooka exhaust up against a wall in the garage.
Old 08-27-16, 05:53 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

It was hard to tell how loud the ticking is. Could possibly be the exhaust manifold, i believe there was a recent post regarding this. Good luck! Keep us posted.
Old 08-27-16, 05:56 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wmjeffreyw
It was hard to tell how loud the ticking is. Could possibly be the exhaust manifold, i believe there was a recent post regarding this. Good luck! Keep us posted.
Yeah I'm certain thats what it is, thats why I'm thinking that crack could have just gotten worse and is causing the car to lose lots of power/tq causing the sluggish feel. Thank you for the response.
Old 08-27-16, 09:01 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Time to buy some headers. Good 'ol aftermarket power-producing headers.
Old 08-27-16, 09:38 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Guess its a good thing I'm only a couple hours away from PPE in AZ right now, if it does turn out to be a crack in the manifold is this safe to drive on for a few weeks? as long as it isn't bad for the car in any way I can live with it till I have a free week to take it in. Any way to diagnose this as the problem for sure? I don't think the area that cracks is visible without at least some work to get to it.
Old 08-28-16, 12:17 AM
Brad3275
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a code reader I would plug it in and see if by some rare chance a code was thrown but not severe enough to set off the check engine light. It's a long shot but something I would check off the list just to make sure.
Old 08-28-16, 11:04 AM
DaOne54
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tapping noise could very well be the cracked manifold. Definitely time to upgrade! Just like me.. lol.

Like someone already mentioned, get a hold of a scan tool and see of there are any current/pending codes.
But it definitely sounds like you just got a cracked manifold.
Old 08-28-16, 11:38 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Took it out again on a grocery run, seems to run ok once you get moving. Not sure a cracked manifold could cause it to be an issue only at lower rpms/speeds, also doesn't have a serious exhaust smell like I would assume. Any chance this could be a drivetrain issue of some sort?
Old 08-28-16, 02:05 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you touched your air box recently? Members have reported that an improperly seated/ half open airbox would cause sluggish response. Just a thought!
Old 08-28-16, 02:13 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try this before doing anything bigger to the car. Take the intake tube off for cleaning throttle body and clean mass air flow sensor. Buy a can of BG44K to clean the fuel ejector to see how everything goes.
Old 08-28-16, 02:25 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Alright ill try both of those, did a quick cleaning of the engine bay last week and I guess I could have bumped the air box, although I did a 900 mile road trip on it with it acting fine, will report back after I check both of those. Still scared of it being a transmission/drivetrain issue though.
Old 08-28-16, 03:46 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Alright, air box was fine and throttle body was clean, they are not the culprits.
Old 08-29-16, 03:41 AM
hamooduae
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the always this exhuast manifold problem and yes i do have same sound specially early morning
i used to have the codes i guess p0420 n 430 , i installed sikky headers, =)
why not trying guttin the headers =P

Quick Reply: F having problems, need help