IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sport mode

Old 08-25-16, 06:40 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Sport mode

Can someone tell me all the things that change when your in sports mode eg throttle response, gears steering etc the whole list would be good please ps did a quick search only found a little bit. cheers. and when i use the manual paddles (in manual mode)it holds that gear until i rev it to almost red line before it changes is this normal cheers

Last edited by isfvss; 08-26-16 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-25-16, 07:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

You may want to read the attached.

Lou
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VDIM_Story.pdf (122.0 KB, 356 views)
Old 08-25-16, 08:40 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
You may want to read the attached.

Lou
Damn, Lou. You are a rockstar.
Old 08-26-16, 01:08 AM
isfvss
Racer

Thanks Lou is that all it does, yes it hold gears longer but i don't find any difference in the steering cheers ......
Old 08-26-16, 02:59 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
Can someone tell me all the things that change when your in sports mode eg throttle response, gears steering etc the whole list would be good please ps did a quick search only found a little bit. cheers. and when i use the manual paddles (in manual mode)it holds that gear until i rev it to almost red line before it changes is this normal cheers
Im trying to understand when you rev it to almost red line before it changes? In manual mode. The gears lock after 1st, allowing the driver to manually change gears, otherwise it won't change on its own.
Old 08-26-16, 04:18 AM
isfvss
Racer

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Im trying to understand when you rev it to almost red line before it changes? In manual mode. The gears lock after 1st, allowing the driver to manually change gears, otherwise it won't change on its own.
What i mean is in auto mode if i use the paddles to shift up or down it holds that gear all the time unless i go to redline sport off??? is this normal cheers.
Old 08-26-16, 06:04 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, in auto mode the car chooses the best gear to be in. It's normal for it to change on its own. I thought you meant it changed on its own in manual mode. That would have been concerning.
Old 08-26-16, 07:01 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

What i mean is in auto mode if i use the paddles to shift up or down it holds that gear all the time unless i go to redline sport off??? is this normal cheers.
if you have the car in just regular "auto mode" and use the paddles to shift, the car goes into what's called "modified manual mode". so when you slow down to a stop, it goes back to regular "auto mode". its in the owners manual(that's where I read it)
Old 08-26-16, 08:06 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you pull a paddle while in auto mode, the paddles become gear limiters. This means that you get to choose what's the highest gear the transmission will shift to. So if you choose 3 Rd, the transmission will shift 1, 2, 3rd gear and hold it there. The only thing I'm unsure in this mode is if it will shift up to the next gear if you take it to red line.
Old 08-26-16, 01:16 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
If you pull a paddle while in auto mode, the paddles become gear limiters. This means that you get to choose what's the highest gear the transmission will shift to. So if you choose 3 Rd, the transmission will shift 1, 2, 3rd gear and hold it there. The only thing I'm unsure in this mode is if it will shift up to the next gear if you take it to red line.
Yes, it will shift up in modified/enhanced manual mode if you take it all the way out to redline.

Slowly roll away from a stop in 'D' and downshift to '1' without engaging manual mode through the gear shift lever. Floor it and the transmission will shift into second gear once you reach the end of first.
Old 08-27-16, 01:01 AM
isfvss
Racer

Thanks guys yes i thought it was right, is there any way to have sports mode on all the time, eg even when you turn the car off:
Old 08-27-16, 06:30 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks guys yes i thought it was right, is there any way to have sports mode on all the time, eg even when you turn the car off:
Nope, there is no way to do that, also it is not a recommended as you should be turning on your sports mode when your oil temperature is about two bars or more. You will notice, when the car is cold and the sports mode is on, the transmission is holding the gears much longer than it should.
Old 08-27-16, 10:00 AM
jv12
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom2769
Damn, Lou. You are a rockstar.
He really is!
Old 08-27-16, 11:03 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Nope, there is no way to do that, also it is not a recommended as you should be turning on your sports mode when your oil temperature is about two bars or more. You will notice, when the car is cold and the sports mode is on, the transmission is holding the gears much longer than it should.
As long as you keep the rpms low, I try for <2k until 2nd bar then <3k till 3 bars - Is turning sports mode on early bad for ATF temp while it warms up or just because it holds gears longer?
Old 08-27-16, 12:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

There is no mechanical reason to wait to turn on Sport mode. There are lots of mechanical reasons not to beat on your engine with rpm over 3k when the oil is cold. The gearbox will self limit, and I have experienced this with both my F and my IS350. Lexus has done a lot to make it hard to hurt the drivetrain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport mode