IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Cracked DCTMS steering wheel

Old 08-22-16, 01:59 PM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cracked DCTMS steering wheel

I bought this steering wheel from a member couple months ago, everything looked good when it arrived and during installation but after couple months of use my airbag was not lining up with the steering wheel . Decide to have my mechanic check it out and to our surprise the steering wheel is cracked!! DCTMS won't do much since I'm not the original purchaser witch I understand but I want to know what happened
NOTE: DCTMS OFFERED ME A NEW STEERING WHEEL AT A DISCOUNTED PRICE

and if it could be fixed

thanks. Andy

Last edited by JDM-V8FL; 09-21-16 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-22-16, 02:09 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Wow - I can only imagine that the damage happened (or it was weakened) while it was being removed by original owner. I remember pulling the hell out of my stock wheel when I removed it..
Old 08-22-16, 02:21 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I'll weld it for you.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-22-16, 02:26 PM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Originally Posted by FIGS
I'll weld it for you.
Once welded would It be safe to put it back on? if it is I'm really interested to get it fixed
Old 08-22-16, 03:17 PM
FIGS
The Maker

That area of the wheel is to support the flat bottom with stress applied at the hand area. The complications are around the heat effected zone, and leather shrinkage, but it also depends on why it cracked in the first place. Any other pics of the backside primary support structure?
Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 08-22-16, 05:19 PM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Old 08-22-16, 07:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

I'm quite puzzled by the 2 cracks in the aluminum frame of your steering wheel. I've put on a couple of wheels, one in my and one in a friend's ISF. AFAIK, DCTMS uses Lexus sourced carcasses from used steering wheels. The only real load bearing is the center spindle. The frame just has the accessories attached to it. It's really a puzzlement to me

This is the first I've heard of this happening.

Lou
Old 08-22-16, 07:23 PM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

It suprised my mechnic and my and my self as well, I did some digging from the previous owner and it seems like he was in an accident that totaled his car, hence the reason for selling the wheel, what has me interested is that the steering wheel did not have any visual defect when we first installed it, maybe it had a hair line crack and with more use it broke... What I would like to know is if I weld it would it be ok and safe to put it back on my car?

Originally Posted by flowrider
I'm quite puzzled by the 2 cracks in the aluminum frame of your steering wheel. I've put on a couple of wheels, one in my and one in a friend's ISF. AFAIK, DCTMS uses Lexus sourced carcasses from used steering wheels. The only real load bearing is the center spindle. The frame just has the accessories attached to it. It's really a puzzlement to me

This is the first I've heard of this happening.

Lou
Old 08-22-16, 07:46 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Yeah the accident explains it, but looks like that is a forged piece. A hairline crack can work its way into a fracture for sure. how often are you gripping outside the primary grip zones?
Old 08-22-16, 07:52 PM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Originally Posted by FIGS
Yeah the accident explains it, but looks like that is a forged piece. A hairline crack can work its way into a fracture for sure. how often are you gripping outside the primary grip zones?
Usually i drive with my hands at 9 and 3 position and some times one handed at 7 position
Old 08-22-16, 10:21 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM-V8FL
I did some digging from the previous owner and it seems like he was in an accident that totaled his car,
BINGO!

Lou
Old 08-22-16, 11:03 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM-V8FL
What I would like to know is if I weld it would it be ok and safe to put it back on my car?
I used to work in a steel shop and it's my understanding that welds are stronger than the base material... but this is aluminum which I know nothing about.
Old 08-23-16, 06:45 AM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Decide to cut my loses and sell the steering wheel for a bargain price, it literately sold under 5 minutes, thanks for everyone that chime in on this thread, most likely ill buy a new wheel from DCTMS since the stock steering wheel feels so thin compared to the other one, I made sure to state that the steering wheel is cracked and it could potentially be fixed I'm to OCD I need my stuff perfect
Old 08-23-16, 07:00 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Was the bottom black plastic portion cracked also? it looks like it in the picture.
Old 08-23-16, 11:19 AM
DCTMS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Response from DCTMS

We need to reply to this thread since we noticed the thread title was a little bit misleading (with our brand name mentioned).
The steering wheel here was purchased used from another member whose Lexus was involved in an accident according to thread context above.
We have talked with Andy (the new owner of this steering wheel) yesterday (8/22) and stated clearly:
1) Please don't fix a steering wheel if the metal core was damaged
2) We offered a discounted price to Andy (brand new product) because he really wanted a silver carbon top steering wheel for his IS-F
To the community
1) The new owner purchased the steering wheel from a member (the condition was unknown), The steering wheel was not purchase directly from us.
2) Please don't fix a defective or damaged steering wheel core and use it on a car
Feel free to contact us if members here have any question.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked DCTMS steering wheel