IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

People with coilovers setup for the track, how has it been and is it worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-16, 06:09 AM
Eedo123
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default People with coilovers setup for the track, how has it been and is it worth the money?

I was hoping to find out how much the coilovers have helped the overall performance of the car. Any comments are apprecaited
Old 08-20-16, 01:40 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm unable to comment on other brands as I've never used them and have the RR-Racing Penske's on my car and they feel great over stock characteristics. It's definitely a well worth investment. I would take a look at some of the track videos here on the forum posted by our track junkies. Kinda gives you a idea of a stock suspension and coilover system. As most people say, the driver makes up for all the time and coilovers are just an easier aid. I'm sure that I8ABMR or mikersoft can definitely give you a more detailed response as they are living proof through videos

Last edited by 3nergiz3d; 08-20-16 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-20-16, 08:45 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Let's start with a stock ISF:
Nimble, direct steer, a bit understeer and body roll but nothing that can't be controlled with a bit of skill and nannys off. Nice ride, forgivable potholes but yet noticeable, great at the track and with proper driver mod, you'll be passing 90% of the cars in whatever group you're in. Awesome car, comfortable and quiet.

RR Penske Shocks:
Still playing with the settings and dialing them in for different tracks, but a huge improvement, very direct steer, brings out the fondness of spirated driving, very nimble and confident, whatever understeer we had with stock shocks, which is minimal, this basically turned it into a oversteering car at aggressive driving. However driving it as DD, it'll be stiffer, yet stock like, but I also think it brings out ISF the characteristics of a race car, lower, meaner and believe me, very well performing.

Once you keep them at their minimal *crazy* level (RR shocks!), you will be happy with them, that is comparable with stock shocks, the weight saving and quality of these shocks, you'll notice that it fits the ISF perfectly, but whenever you're ready to take it up a notch the option is there. They are a HUGE difference at the track, the stiffness helps to keep the car planted, properly dialing in the compression and rebound for given track makes a big difference too for example Pocono is more bumpy than Lightning.

My ISF starts to feel very race like, I've had other fast cars that I tracked, but ISF is just in a different league, I have to say that RR USRS and RR Penske Shocks made my car a different animal, starting to play with compression and rebound I can cater the suspension to the track I'm on after couple sessions, however many times the obstacles on the track don't allow to really open it up. but I'll start looking at TA/TTA and that's all after just minor changes (RR Penske, RR USRS, Oil Cooler and now a tune), some proper rubber and you are owning your DE, what a great feeling!!!

Is it worth it? I think that it is debatable based on what you want. I have few cars and now got a beater, to which I can retire the ISF as a track car only, maby eventually making it a race car, I think I was one of the first RR Racing Penske shocks owners, I had a long discussion with Rafi about them and we made my car a guinea pig, right after Rafis, as described above, car feels amazing I think I'm done with mods for a while until I grow out of what I have now. On the other side, if you want to keep the ride quality (less bumpy, quieter a bit, more roll, less steer) then stay stock, but I would never go back.

I have few track days coming up, plus an open track day where I'll continue dialing in my setup to my likings and I love every bit of it... would I buy it again? YES.
Old 08-21-16, 05:08 AM
Eedo123
Rookie

Bbong, highly appreciate the response. I really like how the shocks changed the behaviour of your car, this is what I wanted to hear about! My goal in the end is to have a car that FEELS like a lighter weight car, and to give me a really confident and fun experience, something like a 911 would, or Miata. I understand that is probably asking a little too much, but I think the shocks will maybe be good for me in the end.
Old 08-21-16, 10:42 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

If you're going to spend money on coilovers. RR-Racing Penske coilovers are an awesome choice...

Contact us for your price!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-22-16, 05:43 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I've done 8 total track days on 5 different circuits in the IS-F. IMO, a quality set of coilovers (like the RR Racing Penskes) make a huge difference in track performance. I was just on the Summit Point Shenandoah circuit for the first time this past Saturday.. I knew the circuit would be tough for the IS-F compared to the others I've been on. It's got sections that are packed full of turns, some with double apexes, variable radius, and some are off camber as well.. After talking to an instructor and some other drivers in the advanced group, I learn the circuit is considered one of the most technical & challenging of its kind in the country.. Once I started to learn the circuit, the IS-F was able to hold its own, and I was having a blast. I think the Penske coilovers are a huge factor in that.. BTW, my other suspension/handling mods are FIGS front LCA bushings, 255/275 PSS tires, and RR Racing two-piece slotted brake rotors w/Project Mu HC+800 pads.

-Mike

Old 08-22-16, 10:42 AM
gfox08ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 Lexus ISF that I bought with KW Variant 3 coilovers. I'm never going to be tracking the car and I'm interested in bringing back the stock feel to the car. I live in Taylorsville, NC and I'm wondering if there's anyone out there interested in doing a swap for their factory setup for my KW coilovers? Let me know what you think! -Garrett
Old 08-22-16, 11:12 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am also tempted by coil over as well, but my main issue and the thing that is keeping me away is altering the already pretty stellar handling characteristics of the car. I dont mean to say it doesn roll and that its doesnt under steer mid corner and sometimes slightly over steer on corner exit at the limit , BUT its it very minor and manageable. What has me scared with coil overs is creating a car that handled pretty damn near neutral in my experience, although it rolls, and turning it into an over sterring beast that wants to rotate on every hard corner exit. In the past my coils made the cars feel more planted and stiff but when I would drive the stock cars it seemed like they were more sorted. Meaning they did everything really well as oppossed to just a couple of things well. Its all about setting and rates. I just dont know if I have the head to obsessively adjust and test only to still compromise.

If I ever do coils I am following Mike and the others and going with the RR Penske set
Old 08-22-16, 01:54 PM
Eedo123
Rookie

appreciate all the responses so far, I think I am going to be doing this upgrade soon. I also am looking into which shop will do the fine tuning and alignment and what not, so far Engineering Automotive may be the place I go to . Again thanks for all the help guys!
Old 08-23-16, 03:28 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

RR Racing's Penske coil overs and USRS FTW. Transforms the car to a whole new level.
Old 08-23-16, 07:13 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by wmjeffreyw
RR Racing's Penske coil overs and USRS FTW. Transforms the car to a whole new level.
Agreed!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-24-16, 09:50 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I think some great points are made here. In the past I had always upgraded suspensions bc even the "sport suspensions" sucked. But, even then there were some things that the stock suspension did better--for example, on my G35 I upgraded springs, shocks, sways, strut bar along with wider Volk wheels and overall the car was much tighter and better feeling, but I actually feel like I lost max lateral Gs bc it was almost too stiff.

On the F, I desperately want to lower just the front by about 0.5-0.75" for appearance, but I am seriously worried that I would screw up what is by most measures a pretty damn good all around suspension. And even if I went with a high-dollar set of coilovers, odds are that I'm going to lose something in the process. We'll see...depends on how much that front gap annoys me...

Old 08-24-16, 02:30 PM
Eedo123
Rookie

I want to say thanks to everyone, but I think I will keep the suspension stock. After a few mods already (exhaust,headers, bushings) my perspective on cars has changed throughout the ownership of the IS-F and I am starting to realize there is a right car for the right job, but you can't have one car to do every job. I want to enjoy the car as is, and when I am ready, I will move on to the next vehicle and enjoy that for what it is. As a car enthusiast of all cars (as I am sure 99% of people are here as well) I think it is our job to experience as many cars as we can, and to see what is out there. To be fine with one car would be cheating ourselves from a whole world of automotive fun and I think the best decision will be to drive everything stock, and to keep moving from car to car. I appreciate everyone's help again