IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Long term reliability of the IS-F

Old 08-20-16, 06:02 AM
ISF08
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Long term reliability of the IS-F

Does anyone have any good data on the long term reliability of the ISF? I can't seem to find any truly high mileage (170k+) cars. Most IS-F's have very low mileage for their year. Seems like no one has ever really had a truly major mechanical failure such as blown engine or transmission. I know of only one guy who claims to have needed to get his transmission replaced. Seems unlikely that a performance sedan could be that reliable, lexus/toyota or not. I know the 2UR-GSE engine and transmission were both way ahead of their time during the release of the ISF and are still way ahead of their time compared to many modern cars. With that advancement usually comes reliability issues. Anyone?
Old 08-20-16, 06:05 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe there are several guys here with 140k plus with no issues.
Old 08-20-16, 07:35 AM
josh810
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe there was a high mileage thread that was started a while back, highest I saw there was 190k? I could be wrong.
Old 08-20-16, 08:24 AM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I was searching for my F there were multiple high mileage ones... highest I've seen was 174k.
Old 08-20-16, 09:05 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't necessarily think that high mileage is worse than the actual build date/ age of the car. In my experiences, many times failures are due to random chance of a given component that was "bad" at the time of MFG.

For example, in our previous 2007 Pathfinder, I babied that thing, changing all fluids every 2 years and still the radiator failed bc it was a bad batch of radiators. Nothing I could have done to prevent it.

in the F, the things that go wrong would probably go wrong in X years regardless of the mileage. engines like to be run--keeps everything lubed up. One could argue that a 10 yr old car with 15k on it could be just as likely, or more, to have problems than one with 100k.

Overall, however, after many cars, and car forums, I can say that the number of issues with the F are very few and far between. It's great to be part of a forum where we talk about what we love about our cars rather than what is wrong with them.
Old 08-20-16, 10:01 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
I don't necessarily think that high mileage is worse than the actual build date/ age of the car. In my experiences, many times failures are due to random chance of a given component that was "bad" at the time of MFG.

For example, in our previous 2007 Pathfinder, I babied that thing, changing all fluids every 2 years and still the radiator failed bc it was a bad batch of radiators. Nothing I could have done to prevent it.

in the F, the things that go wrong would probably go wrong in X years regardless of the mileage. engines like to be run--keeps everything lubed up. One could argue that a 10 yr old car with 15k on it could be just as likely, or more, to have problems than one with 100k.

Overall, however, after many cars, and car forums, I can say that the number of issues with the F are very few and far between. It's great to be part of a forum where we talk about what we love about our cars rather than what is wrong with them.
Well worded/written!

V.
Old 08-20-16, 10:22 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm in agreement on the above. I've seen more issues with low mileage early build dates than a car that's been properly operated as designed. New cars get "lot rot" which is a common term at dealers, used are no different. Most of these garage queens with "collector" miles aren't properly ran regularly. Even if you are merely driving it around the block, doing so every week or so will keep everything properly lubricated and reduce flat or neutral conditions with tires, shocks, suspension, etc. from just sitting in one position for extended periods of time.

I'm hoping this unit will last to 200k that's what I bought it for. Going to daily this thing even after I pick up a weekend warrior. Ultimate daily driver I don't have to worry about and is a jack of all trades vehicle.