IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF has been in the bodyshop for 50 days now... for a bumper repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 12:47 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ISF has been in the bodyshop for 50 days now... for a bumper repair

Back in May of this year someone dented my front bumper while I was shopping at Kroger. The initial Service King quote was something like $550 and not really worth me going through my insurance for after deductible so I just popped the bumper out myself. then took the car to a reputable body shop (that will remain nameless for now) for a second opinion since I already had an appointment with them prior to popping the bumper out. They took the car in and sent a supplemental to the insurance saying the bumper needed to be replaced along with the headlights and other components. I dropped the car off June 27th, 2016 and I have yet to get it back. The bodyshop says that the insurance hasn't approved some bumper brackets and that they cannot finish the job without it.

The worse part is that since July 28th, the insurance said they no longer would be paying for the rental. They said they need a reason for every day the bodyshop is taking with the bumper repair. The body shop says they will take care of any gaps in the rental costs but I do not have that in writing and am afraid they will not follow through with that. Not only that but I am being charged $13/day for rental insurance (already over $650).

I have kept my cool throughout this whole process but 50 days for a bumper repair/replacement is ridiculous. The bodyshop has had very poor communication with me and I've always been the one to have to call/email for everything. Note: This is not a mom an pop bodyshop. This is a big dealer owned bodyshop. I don't want to put them on blast publicly until I have my car back in my hands and finished.

What should be my course of action be?
Old 08-17-16, 01:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

It seems pretty obvious to me that your insurance company and body shop have placed you right in the middle of this. Do you have an insurance agent? If you do, I would call and ask them what is going on, and if they have in fact refused your body shops requests. If they did, you need ask why. Something's is wrong here.

You also need to go to the body shop and ask for copies of their correspondence with your insurance company.

Something is very fishy here, and your right in the middle! BTW, have you seen your car? If not I would ask to see it just to make sure it's still OK.

Today, young people like to text and eMail for a lot of things. This is a case where neither is apropos, you need verbal communication, and when one of the parties makes a statement or promise, you NEED it in writing.

And, DON'T be afraid to show anger!

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 08-17-16 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 01:23 PM
nicklausw
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I would be showing up every day asking to see the car and asking about progress.
Old 08-17-16, 02:34 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ definitely follow up on the status. To me, it sounds like it's pending on the insurance company. Give them a buzz!
Old 08-17-16, 02:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Id call them everyday and work closely with the manager.
Old 08-17-16, 03:22 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Girlfriend is a damage adjuster. She's the one you see and tells you what will happen with your car or if it's totaled. I showed her this post since she works at a shop that is routinely like this. this was her response.

"The bodyshop says that the insurance hasn't approved some bumper brackets and that they cannot finish the job without it."

thats shop bull**** for "we're asking for something ridiculous that the insurance isnt falling for so we're being dicks and not finishing the car"
Old 08-17-16, 03:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Sounds like your GF works for a standup place

Lou
Old 08-17-16, 03:53 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

50 days? That's horrible business! I would had been very upset and contacted my insurance after 7 days. Call and ask for the primary insurance agent who is in charge of your case.
Old 08-17-16, 04:08 PM
smt6
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by smt6; 08-17-16 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 04:28 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

OP you have a lot of patience. def speak to the adjuster. you're paying them (the ins company). they are paid to help you.
Old 08-17-16, 06:21 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Today, young people like to text and eMail for a lot of things. This is a case where neither is apropos, you need verbal communication, and when one of the parties makes a statement or promise, you NEED it in writing.
I agree. Make sure you get their responses in word format in something like an electron sharing message sent through a data server with records of where it came from along with time stamps and other pertinent information, maybe even cell phone numbers.
Old 08-17-16, 11:56 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

You're being too nice.....and too patient. What was the initial time frame? What's the time frame they are telling you now??
Def sounds like something bad has happened in their hands and they are buying time.....go put your hands, eyes, and ears on your car immediately.

V.
Old 08-18-16, 05:49 AM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the response everyone. I will be going to the body shop today unannounced and ask to see the car. The original time frame was two weeks since it was around the 4th of July holiday. I do have a dashcam on the car so if anything happened while the car was on, then it should be on video. I'll be sure to get the rental cost coverage agreement on paper to cover myself.
Old 08-18-16, 06:01 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISF.Jimmy
Thanks for the response everyone. I will be going to the body shop today unannounced and ask to see the car. The original time frame was two weeks since it was around the 4th of July holiday. I do have a dashcam on the car so if anything happened while the car was on, then it should be on video. I'll be sure to get the rental cost coverage agreement on paper to cover myself.
I was about to tell you to do this, as the gf said this is what you should do "This guy should go to the shop, ask to see his car, ask what parts they still need, and call insurance to ask why they arent paying for it. chances are insurance denied what the shop is asking for (for some reason), or the shop is ****ing up and isnt making this car a priority. fixing a car isnt rocket science, it takes a long time cause theyre not making the effort, OR parts arent available"
Old 08-18-16, 06:02 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Sounds like your GF works for a standup place

Lou
yeah. she's employed by the GEICO, and is assigned to a shop. In this case, Geico isn't the problem. The shop she's assigned to is horrible.

Quick Reply: ISF has been in the bodyshop for 50 days now... for a bumper repair