IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 02:13 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Great job.
The cars aren't that far apart in speed on the track, so a good driver is really what does it here.
I competed with a ZL1, c7 stingray with cup 2s, ctsv--those which are more-or-less around a tuned headers/exhaust isf, power-wise--and it wasn't hard to outdrive them.
now, had I been up against a 700whp track car, even with a mediocre driver, I'd probably have a hard time.
Old 08-15-16, 02:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Just looked up "GOOD SPEED" ( the M3 had a shop sticker on the rear window) and it turn out they are a local Scottsadle tuner shop. Looks like I passed a tuned M3. It had track wheel and tires but looks like it may have had something else done too . Never know but most people don't drive around with shop stickers on a stock car ..... And add a plate , YOULOOZ 😜
Old 08-15-16, 02:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDMV8
Great job.
The cars aren't that far apart in speed on the track, so a good driver is really what does it here.
I competed with a ZL1, c7 stingray with cup 2s, ctsv--those which are more-or-less around a tuned headers/exhaust isf, power-wise--and it wasn't hard to outdrive them.
now, had I been up against a 700whp track car, even with a mediocre driver, I'd probably have a hard time.
I agree 100%. Nice job btw. The ZL1s have crazy straight line pull. All you hear is that whine and that V8 .
Old 08-15-16, 02:40 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Just looked up "GOOD SPEED" ( the M3 had a shop sticker on the rear window) and it turn out they are a local Scottsadle tuner shop. Looks like I passed a tuned M3. It had track wheel and tires but looks like it may have had something else done too . Never know but most people don't drive around with shop stickers on a stock car ..... And add a plate , YOULOOZ 😜
a tuned m3 is no joke! ~500whp
nice
Old 08-15-16, 02:54 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Driver mod is the difference here..nice job!
Old 08-15-16, 03:24 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice job man! Appreciate you posting the vids and taking your time writing it.
Old 08-15-16, 03:55 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

No disrespect toward Lance & suprasupra, but both of those comments come off a little snarky, IMO. As many have acknowledged (including Lance), at this level of HPDE it's mostly about the nut behind the wheel.. Therefore, who wouldn't be stoked about out-driving someone in a car that is technically faster with the right (i.e. professional) driver??

"If the fast guys aren't there, the win means nothing" Please! Of course, HPDE is not actual racing, but you cannot deny the competitive aspect of it. A win is a win.. Aside from the legends (Senna, Schumacher, Hamilton, etc), there will always be somebody faster.. If the the faster drivers aren't present, they don't get the win, plain & simple.

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 08-15-16 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 04:46 PM
suprasupra
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
WHO SAID WE WERE RACING !?!? LMAO He was in the advanced group in a 85k super sedan that was WAY faster than mine. No racing, but it was a victory , sweet kill and I earned that with a better line and more skill as a driver. Its DE but we are all pushing and it always gets competitive on track and then off when looking at lap times. I was the fastest of all the cars on track in session 1 ( in the advanced drivers group), if you care to know, and #3 in session 2. Anything positive you guys would like to add to that fact ??? Does that tell you something about my skill or are we going to say nobody was trying and they were all slow? I have a feeling the second is coming .

LOL. I never said I won a race and Im not looking for any ego stroking because I know I am a good driver ( 16 track days in an ISF says so ). I battled and I killed a faster car ( with an advanced level driver in it) that we all know is not just a little faster. Its a lot faster. I was the better driver in a slower car. That's all I'm trying to celebrate as a "boy racer".

No racing. No medal. But the pass was sweet and something we could all celebrate if we have done any track time recently. I'm just sharing with the track people. HPDE is drivers education......but I just aced the last test.

No disrespect intended I was merely supporting the sentiments Lance stated in his post. That HPDE events are for fun. I have enjoyed DE events and had fun participating I have followed some real squids out there in the advanced group that couldn't drive a nail let alone a car. The first DE I attended I signed up for the advanced group with no questions asked except what experience I had on track. No verification needed that is not a stellar endorsement for how good a driver is, for all they knew it was my first time on a track.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers and as I said no disrespect intended, just pointing out the obvious can really hurt some feelings it seems.
Old 08-15-16, 05:28 PM
tsx2isF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poor lines on the M3. I would have gone up to him after the session and nicely remind him to do a point by next time.
Old 08-15-16, 11:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDMV8
a tuned m3 is no joke! ~500whp
nice
That turbo torque !! ITS CRAZY !!

Originally Posted by Vervish
Driver mod is the difference here..nice job!
Thanks man !

Originally Posted by bbong
Nice job man! Appreciate you posting the vids and taking your time writing it.
My pleasure. Thanks for your posts as well .

Originally Posted by mikersoft
No disrespect toward Lance & suprasupra, but both of those comments come off a little snarky, IMO. As many have acknowledged (including Lance), at this level of HPDE it's mostly about the nut behind the wheel.. Therefore, who wouldn't be stoked about out-driving someone in a car that is technically faster with the right (i.e. professional) driver??

"If the fast guys aren't there, the win means nothing" Please! Of course, HPDE is not actual racing, but you cannot deny the competitive aspect of it. A win is a win.. Aside from the legends (Senna, Schumacher, Hamilton, etc), there will always be somebody faster.. If the the faster drivers aren't present, they don't get the win, plain & simple.

-Mike
Thank you sir !

Originally Posted by suprasupra
No disrespect intended I was merely supporting the sentiments Lance stated in his post. That HPDE events are for fun. I have enjoyed DE events and had fun participating I have followed some real squids out there in the advanced group that couldn't drive a nail let alone a car. The first DE I attended I signed up for the advanced group with no questions asked except what experience I had on track. No verification needed that is not a stellar endorsement for how good a driver is, for all they knew it was my first time on a track.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers and as I said no disrespect intended, just pointing out the obvious can really hurt some feelings it seems.
No feelings hurt sir, but in the past we have had people make comments on members track posts to simply **** in ones cheerios it seems ( and this does not simply apply to my posts) . I was simply excited to share going head to head with THE #1 competitor for the IS-F in its most current generation, and against a car that was likely tuned. I wasn't telling anyone this was a race or a real competition. I understand that when one comes off the track the adrenaline is high and the need to share and talk about it is pretty damn high . I am no different . I personally think we should celebrate each others track time. We are all getting better. Its so obvious when you look at anyone's track footage !! We can ,and do, learn from one another, and regardless of what it may seem like tracking the IS-F is very very rare relatively. So,like myself, many would think its exciting and fun to see. Like Mike said, there is always a competitive aspect of DE. Passing a driver in an advanced drivers group in a car that is clearly faster is exciting. And its something that most , especially owners who have done a lot of track time in their F, can appreciate and would want to share. That pass was not easy at all and I don't know if you noticed but we were feet away from each other on many of the corners and I had to muscle my way into an "open door" after chasing him for 3-4 laps. There are some of us like ZaxF, Mike, Piston, myself, Chris,Gearbangin, bbong, JDMV8 and many others who are out on the track learning to drive, getting better and better, representing F and Lexus , and literally exploring the limits of the car and its engineering. We are always going to share and I will always be positive because I know its not easy. Its expensive, time consuming, tiring, stressful, AND so damn worth it and so very very cool. Its the track!! Anything on it in an ISF is really cool in this F'ers book. I am far from a pro driver but I am trying to learn and inspire some of the others, like the guys before me inspired me, to get out on the track and use this car for what it was designed to do. LOL An ISF on the street is just a bumpy 350 with good intake noise. No hard feeling towards you or Lance but I am hoping we can celebrate each others track time, tracks visited, and even the kills that may or may not exist in our heads. But for future reference if I pass a car that is faster than mine Im going to call it a kill and talk about it. Hope that's ok.

Originally Posted by tsx2isF
Poor lines on the M3. I would have gone up to him after the session and nicely remind him to do a point by next time.
He was blocking BIG TIME in session 1 but I always grid in position 1 ( except for session 2 on this particular track event. lol I was distracted ). My buddy was in a Vette was so pissed that he was going to say something but I told him the dude just came up and was being really nice so I didn't want to get involved lol. The M3 driver was behind me in session 1 and told me that he was impressed my how I just took off. He was curious as to what mods I had done and went on his way. I am surprised they didn't flag him but I'm glad they didn't . It was more fun to chase a faster car . My lines weren't perfect at all either but were better than his. I think he was over driving his car a little and was on INVOs.
Old 08-16-16, 12:28 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Suprasupra and I have both been racing. I roadraced motorcycles, he raced dirt track. It's very different than DEs because we really are trying to win something. Wrecks and contact are common in racing (we've been known to rub shoulders on bikes and there few situations in life more intense than lining up on the starting grid surrounded by fast bikes with fast riders all focused on winning the drag race to turn 1). You get sent home from a DE for doing something sketchy without ever touching another car. I got passed by an E36 M3 driven by DaveGS4's wife with my wife sitting right seat at a DE. I gave her the point-by because I knew she's a much faster driver even in that low powered car. I don't recall her posting anywhere about an IS-F kill. The guy who spun his Panoz in front of me because he was frustrated about a 4 door sedan on his butt didn't read about me "killing" him on Club Lexus, and there's a video of me passing an ITR on the front straight at CMP, but it wasn't a kill, I was just faster than he was that day. I don't get the whole "I killed this car" thing at a DE. If it's a race, then sure, but a DE? No rules on equipment or mods as long as the car is safe, so anything goes. Some guys are out testing. Some guys are out learning. Some guys shouldn't be out there at all, and others take to it like a duck to water.

I worked a Keith Code school at Sears Point years ago, and there was one guy out there reading the billboards between the Carousel and turn 7. To say he was going slow is a huge understatement. So, I just have a very different perspective about DEs and what the takeaways are.
Old 08-16-16, 01:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I see and respect whet you are saying buddy. All Im saying is it was a battle because I chased him for 4-5 laps and then earned the pass. He didn't just let me by like you let Daves wife by, nor did he spin out of frustration. I had to try to out accelerate him on literally the shortest straight on the track and then stick my nose into the open door and muscle him. Its done the same way in a real race so whether its a race or not the technique is still the same ( minus the rubbing etc)and the excitement is still the same. Only the steaks are less but we are all still pushing. And that BMW M3 was WAY faster than my F. Night and day. I honestly never thought Id catch him, but I did and I passed a driver who was blocking and refused to give a point by. Kind of like a race. No medal, no kiss from a hot chick ,no champagne and pictures, but man it was SWEET !! ( to me )

The "kill" expression is just like saying I beat him, out ran him, or out performed him. I killed that beautiful M3. Different word, same result.

I figured that many here would like to see a 6 year old ISF muscle and pass a new M3 with a tune ( very likely). It was pretty exciting to say the least
Old 08-16-16, 03:15 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

All i can say is keep doing your thing Tammer! The footage is awesome, the cars are awesome!, knowing is one of our F brothers out there; getting down is awesome! I can say you have really inspired me to get out there and give it a go on the track. One day.
Old 08-16-16, 11:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
All i can say is keep doing your thing Tammer! The footage is awesome, the cars are awesome!, knowing is one of our F brothers out there; getting down is awesome! I can say you have really inspired me to get out there and give it a go on the track. One day.
Thanks so much buddy . I am having a blast and just trying to show everyone that you can do this In a car with stock brakes , suspension , and even tires . And you don't have to have a lot of experience in working in your car . These cars were well designed and over engineered to be just street cars . In fact they are kind of crappy luxury cars so might as well use the sporty dominant aspect lol . Whenever you're ready to give it a go I can promise you it will become a hobby that you will enjoy for a very long time . Wether it's once every 5-10 years to 5-10 times in a year it will be come a part of you . You'll see . Just ask anyone who has tried it .

just pulled this up on my TV .
Man the bimmer and I were so close you could see him in my hood .
Attached Thumbnails ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo855.jpg  
Old 08-17-16, 04:37 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I must have watched this footage so many times! Along with others you've made. I showed all my buddies and all of them were amazed! I was screaming "get him! Tammer! get him!" Everything you expressed above, Im already aware of. Which makes it all the more inspiring and admirable. Like you, I respect the opinion of others. We all have different experiences and outlooks on things in general. I'm just glad you're sharing all this with us!

Quick Reply: ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track