IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 10:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track

Hey F'ers !! I had to break my track day time off and head back for a fix . It had been 4 months and I wasn't sleeping, eating , and was unable to concentrate without my fix ��. Inspired by our other track guys like Chase, Zach, Larry, Mike, and our other track stars I decided to brave the mid August AZ heat and get some seat time . It was one hundred and F$@@ degrees by session two and I managed to trigger the tranny temp warning light (so I have now triggered both oil and tranny temp warning lights in the Summer in AZ. This is why I need to sit them out Ÿ“. Then again a track junky is compelled uncontrollably to seek that track time ��. Never track your F over 90 degrees ideally)

Second session had me starting right behind a gorgeous white M3 with license plate "YOULOOZ"��. Knowing his car was faster and that he had that plate had me set my sights on battling him in particular . It was literally the best run I had ever had at this track, best lap time ever here, and probably the best battle I have ever recorded on track .( even more so than my battle against an Aston Martin V8 Vantage I took down at AZ Motor Sports Park).

As you can see the bimmer was the faster car in the straights ( as well as that crazy *** Camaro that walked us both ��) but I think I had the better line and used it to reel him in and finally pass on the inside right before the main straight . I knew I couldn't take him on the straight so I used the entire infield to reel him in and pass right before he'd pull on me again . What a rush!!!

He should have been flagged for blocking but in the end I'm glad he wasn't because he made my video that much better , made me earn it , and made me a better driver. I hope you guys enjoy !!

HERE IS SESSION 1 . I was able to pass a GT500 in a braking zone with ease . It was too easy to even mention in the title but I will admit the driving looks really fast from this angle. . From the higher point of view you can see the road better, the line is easier to see, and the ability to tell how fast the car is accelerating seems greater. Only down side is yous almost all of the engine and tire noise. .

I'm signed up for another 5 track days from now until Christmas so stay tuned . Track season is upon us in AZ Ÿ‘ŸŸ‘ŒŸ
Attached Thumbnails ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo535.jpg   ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo624.jpg   ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo724.jpg   ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo44.jpg   ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo306.jpg  

ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo90.jpg   ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo468.jpg   ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo155.jpg   ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo325.jpg   ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo985.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-14-16 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-13-16, 11:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Here are some other views . I used a GoPro on the roof and and Harry's Lap Timer for the interior and to overlay track data over the video ( speed ,Gs, track position , sector times )

M3 PASS RIGHT HERE

I also included a picture of what the RR Racing AOS kept out of my engine

Here is session 2. Less traffic and I played with a GT500. https://youtu.be/yQYNczoS0TQ
Attached Thumbnails ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo321.jpg   ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo724.jpg   ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track-photo926.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-13-16 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-13-16, 11:47 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-13-16, 11:49 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 85 Posts

great job!!! That M is damn fast in the straights, but you simply had a better line and a better driver and it showed in your video. Thanks for sharing and holding it down for the F community
Old 08-14-16, 01:58 AM
autoz4me
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Love your work man.

That M3 was holding you up for sure.

Gotta say the most impressive thing about your car is its ability to stop.

Just about every track-day vid I've seen your car in the car stops really well.Especiallyon a tight track like that.

Nice work man.
Old 08-14-16, 04:47 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Nice driving doc, putting pressure on the M, but damn the Camaro just took off... That typical M driver, that should've been flagged for blocking the traffic...
Old 08-14-16, 08:18 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could definitely tell who was the better driver with your cornering. Nice overtake. Lol M getting beat by the muscle on the straightaway, made me giggle a bit.
Old 08-14-16, 09:37 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice driving, Tammer! That M3 was all over the place & had some terrible lines.. Once you got by, were you able to put some distance on him?

I'm with you on being a junky.. I really wanted to get back out this weekend, but it didn't pan out.. I've got the shakes as I type this!
I'm hitting a new track next Saturday (Summit Point Shenandoah). Though, it's supposedly very tight & technical in many sections, so the heavy IS-F may be in for challenge..

-Mike
Old 08-14-16, 11:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ross3857
Thumbs up. Keep up the good work.
Thanks bud !! Will do ! Come October, God willing, I will be out on the track every 2 -4 weeks.

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
great job!!! That M is damn fast in the straights, but you simply had a better line and a better driver and it showed in your video. Thanks for sharing and holding it down for the F community
Thanks brother !! This battle taught me that you can pass a faster car even on a slow tight track with a better line

Originally Posted by autoz4me
Love your work man.

That M3 was holding you up for sure.

Gotta say the most impressive thing about your car is its ability to stop.

Just about every track-day vid I've seen your car in the car stops really well.Especiallyon a tight track like that.

Nice work man.
Thanks bud! I have to agree. I went WAY deep into the braking zones this time and only really over shot once. People who have chased me have said the same thing numerous times. Honestly that's why I don't mess with my brakes. All stock minus the fluid and this was the first of 16 track days where I used non oem Motul 600 fluid. And to be honest , I felt no difference at all . I don't think many owners give the Lexus engineers enough credit. Stock has been amazing for me.

Originally Posted by chris07is
Nice driving doc, putting pressure on the M, but damn the Camaro just took off... That typical M driver, that should've been flagged for blocking the traffic...
Thank you, Sir ! LMAO that Camaro walked both of our asses and then went off into the dirt ( Im sure you saw) but regained. For a restomod that thing was amazing on track. It was like an adult trying to pass two little kids fighting. haha He was like, excuse me.....coming through

Originally Posted by isfdave86
Could definitely tell who was the better driver with your cornering. Nice overtake. Lol M getting beat by the muscle on the straightaway, made me giggle a bit.
HAHA He was like F your turbos, and walked my *** too. I remember looking in my side mirror thinking, holy **** this dude has some crazy pull ! I bet he was smiling . That bimmers plate (YOULOOZ) just puts a target on his bumper .lol He also has wheels on it and a " GoodSpeed" sticker. Not sure if it was tuned or what.

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Nice driving, Tammer! That M3 was all over the place & had some terrible lines.. Once you got by, were you able to put some distance on him?

I'm with you on being a junky.. I really wanted to get back out this weekend, but it didn't pan out.. I've got the shakes as I type this!
I'm hitting a new track next Saturday (Summit Point Shenandoah). Though, it's supposedly very tight & technical in many sections, so the heavy IS-F may be in for challenge..

-Mike
Thanks Mike ! I was actually able to pull on him again once we got past the straight. I could tell he was pushing a little too hard so I could tell once I got past him he backed off because by the end of the following lap he was WAY behind me. He started behind me in session 1 and I knew he'd come for me ( ISF vs M3 history) so I made as much distance on him as possible in the first slower lap. I usually start in grid one for that reason. If the first lap is no passing and exploratory. I just go ***** out and let the car slide a little until it heats up the tires. That way I get less traffic, less rock damage, and cleaner laps.

Man I can totally understand that track addiction too. Its crazy, but I thought it was a joke when people would say," be careful. You'll get the track bug and you'll be hooked for life". We got it bad lol. I used to drive an LS460 and loved the limo like quality , smoothness, and supple ride. Now after 2 years with this car and I feel like I need two cars or a car that will ALWAYS allow me to hit the track when I want. This car has changed my life. Literally. Im so grateful to have found this car, the track , and CL.
Keep up the great work too Mike. You are a track star.

Very cool you're hitting anew track. That's always exciting. I'm sure with the RR/Penske kit you will be killing it. The higher rates for the damping and springs will hold down that weight transfer better. Have you managed to dial it in a bit better so its more neutral ? My current set up really is pretty solid and only very slightly over steers mid corner to corner exit if extremely hot. I'm glad I went with the 295 in the rear over the 285 option. I'm really happy with how it handles . When I was at Chuckwalla I actually had 2 dcent all wheel slides and I was like, PERFECT. I had under steer on my last 2 track days because I tried to go the cheap route and replace only my rears when I still had some meat on the front . I regretted that and don't plan on doing that again. When the rears go, they all go.
Old 08-14-16, 12:45 PM
autoz4me
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a lot to be said for OEM without doubt.

Its one of the reasons Ionly went to BPU when modifying my Supra.I think it's quite true your OEM statement though expensive I grabbed every TRD part known to man for my Supra.I realised pretty quickly that because my car was a road car there were going to have to be comprimise's.I to beleieve though there is a growing aftermarket for the F the OEM route is probably the safest way to go.
Old 08-14-16, 06:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

There's a question all racers ask when someone says, "I won!" "Who was there?" If the fast guys aren't there, the win means nothing. It's great to go to a DE and "claim victory" but the reality is, if the fast guys weren't there, it's not very meaningful.

So who were these drivers? Because the cars are unimportant. As devastating as it might seem, some very skilled guys don't push their cars to the limit at a DE (I have become one of these guys - it makes no difference to me how fast I am compared to others), and some guys just don't have the skill to push their cars to the limit at a DE. As you get higher up in the rankings, you will find more drivers very capable, but very unwilling to push their DD to the limits. Enjoy your "victories", but the truth is, if there is no prize list or compensation for being fastest, you are only feeding your ego.
Old 08-15-16, 04:48 AM
suprasupra
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There's a question all racers ask when someone says, "I won!" "Who was there?" If the fast guys aren't there, the win means nothing. It's great to go to a DE and "claim victory" but the reality is, if the fast guys weren't there, it's not very meaningful.

So who were these drivers? Because the cars are unimportant. As devastating as it might seem, some very skilled guys don't push their cars to the limit at a DE (I have become one of these guys - it makes no difference to me how fast I am compared to others), and some guys just don't have the skill to push their cars to the limit at a DE. As you get higher up in the rankings, you will find more drivers very capable, but very unwilling to push their DD to the limits. Enjoy your "victories", but the truth is, if there is no prize list or compensation for being fastest, you are only feeding your ego.
Couldn't agree more Lance , I think the proliferation of DE ( track days) have contributed to the feeling that people are actually out there racing. In reality its a bunch of people playing boy racer is it fun sure and with the right group can be a little competitive. But lets not mistake it for actual racing where everyone's equipment and skill levels are somewhat equal. I once passed Randy Pobst at a DE event in Atlanta but I am under no illusion that I am an equal driver. take track days for what they are very amateurish drivers in street cars having a lot of fun,but never mistake it for actual racing .
Old 08-15-16, 05:36 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was busy taking out Ariel atoms shot from my buddy's s2000 he was reeling me in on corners with his Pirelli Trofeo R
View this post on Instagram
Old 08-15-16, 01:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Originally Posted by suprasupra
Couldn't agree more Lance , I think the proliferation of DE ( track days) have contributed to the feeling that people are actually out there racing. In reality its a bunch of people playing boy racer is it fun sure and with the right group can be a little competitive. But lets not mistake it for actual racing where everyone's equipment and skill levels are somewhat equal. I once passed Randy Pobst at a DE event in Atlanta but I am under no illusion that I am an equal driver. take track days for what they are very amateurish drivers in street cars having a lot of fun,but never mistake it for actual racing .
WHO SAID WE WERE RACING !?!? LMAO He was in the advanced group in a 85k super sedan that was WAY faster than mine. No racing, but it was a victory , sweet kill and I earned that with a better line and more skill as a driver. Its DE but we are all pushing and it always gets competitive on track and then off when looking at lap times. I was the fastest of all the cars on track in session 1 ( in the advanced drivers group), if you care to know, and #3 in session 2. Anything positive you guys would like to add to that fact ??? Does that tell you something about my skill or are we going to say nobody was trying and they were all slow? I have a feeling the second is coming .

LOL. I never said I won a race and Im not looking for any ego stroking because I know I am a good driver ( 16 track days in an ISF says so ). I battled and I killed a faster car ( with an advanced level driver in it) that we all know is not just a little faster. Its a lot faster. I was the better driver in a slower car. That's all I'm trying to celebrate as a "boy racer".

No racing. No medal. But the pass was sweet and something we could all celebrate if we have done any track time recently. Im just sharing with the track people. HPDE is drivers education......but I just aced the last test.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-15-16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 01:59 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
Definitely a poor driver, those lines were atrocious. Good job OP.

Quick Reply: ISF battles and kills F80 BMW M3 at Firebird West track