IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Gutted Header Cats and Headers

Old 07-22-16, 12:14 PM
PearlIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutted Header Cats and Headers

I'm looking for opinions from people that have done either. My ISF is currently my daily driver and love it but would like it to sound a little more aggressive and have more power. But I also don't want to give up the driveability of the current setup on the car. I currently have a Lightweight (16.5 lb) 3” Laivins mandrel-bent single axle-back exhaust with stainless Magnaflow. It sounds great under throttle and cruising. Very little to no drown. My main question is how much did the exhaust and engine note change after the install or gutting. What was the main thing that changed with the new setup? Was it a massive change? Pretty much looking for opinions on the setup and your thoughts on the outcome. Appreciate all the opinions.
Old 07-22-16, 12:34 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

In all of my cars that I have ever had, V8, V6, etc....gutting the cats just turned up the volume on the exhaust and make it sound a bit more raspy and sharp.
Old 07-22-16, 01:03 PM
PearlIS
Rookie

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
In all of my cars that I have ever had, V8, V6, etc....gutting the cats just turned up the volume on the exhaust and make it sound a bit more raspy and sharp.
So gutting the cats is going to be more raspy than headers? Is this due to the cats having rough edges causing the rasp?
Old 07-22-16, 01:45 PM
snackids
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently gutted my stock cats on the OEM header and other than a slightly louder cold start, I thought there was not much change in tone under low to moderate acceleration. Under WOT, the car is definitely louder. With this being my daily driver, I was very nervous that it was going to be "too" loud but honestly I can barely tell the difference under normal driving conditions. The rest of my exhaust consists of an ISS Forged QES (louder than the DES) with an E55 AMG muffler welded in.

Financially, It didn't make any sense to buy headers, go through the hassle of getting them installed for a marginal gain in power over gutted stock headers. My only regret is the smell after gutting the stock cats. It's almost unbearable when standing behind the vehicle or in stop and go traffic with the fumes are going back into the car with the windows down.
Old 07-22-16, 05:55 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snackids
I recently gutted my stock cats on the OEM header and other than a slightly louder cold start, I thought there was not much change in tone under low to moderate acceleration. Under WOT, the car is definitely louder. With this being my daily driver, I was very nervous that it was going to be "too" loud but honestly I can barely tell the difference under normal driving conditions. The rest of my exhaust consists of an ISS Forged QES (louder than the DES) with an E55 AMG muffler welded in.

Financially, It didn't make any sense to buy headers, go through the hassle of getting them installed for a marginal gain in power over gutted stock headers. My only regret is the smell after gutting the stock cats. It's almost unbearable when standing behind the vehicle or in stop and go traffic with the fumes are going back into the car with the windows down.
Wouldn't high flow cats solve this or would that defeat the purpose? I wanna do this also but would imagine I'd get pretty annoyed with the smell
Old 07-22-16, 06:02 PM
knshro13
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
Wouldn't high flow cats solve this or would that defeat the purpose? I wanna do this also but would imagine I'd get pretty annoyed with the smell

I have no cats and I do not smell anything.. I think you will be ok.
Old 07-22-16, 06:08 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I have headers and no cats and there is definitely an exhaust smell. Installing high flow cats next week.
Old 07-22-16, 07:43 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anybody feel HP gain with header cat delet?
Old 07-23-16, 08:10 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
High flow cats would cut out the smell but it will also cut down your HP gains.
Old 07-23-16, 09:03 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The rest of my exhaust consists of an ISS Forged QES (louder than the DES) with an E55 AMG muffler welded in.
Amg muffler.. that's an interesting combo. Any sound clips?
Old 07-23-16, 12:40 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^^
+1 for soundclips of the AMG / ISS Forged hybrid setup. Maybe w/pics?

Old 07-25-16, 08:44 AM
PearlIS
Rookie

This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the information. I'm mostly concerned with the driveablity due to it being my daily driver. If you have any videos would really like to hear them.
Old 07-26-16, 01:45 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to have a car without cats and the smell of gas is extremely annoying and gets old very, very fast.
Old 07-26-16, 03:23 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Default I have sikky headers and no cats with catback Borla exhaust

Sounds very good defintiley worth the money for the gains and definitely smells lol but you'll get use to it lmao
Old 07-26-16, 04:46 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

High flow cats do not make you lose much hp...imo it is not worth the small gains in power to run no cats on a street/daily car. You live and you learn i guess. I just got a pair of high flows welded in today and cant say i miss the smell at all. Sound is similar but deeper and less raspy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gutted Header Cats and Headers