IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

No love for the F? Anyone else notice this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 05:50 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No love for the F? Anyone else notice this?

When the F is completely stock, even with the "super aggressive boy racer lines" as one magazine described it in 08... It really blends in with cars nowadays. That being said I seriously get complements daily on my car. I'm not sure if it's the color (USB) or just the rarity of the car.. To be honest, I feel once you get diffusers/spoiler it truly makes this car a completely different vehicle.. People take notice.

I also feel, as other people have said, I think a lot of it has to do with where you live and the demographics in your area.
Old 07-22-16, 06:28 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

For the most part my F does not get noticed until someone pulls up and looks at my brakes because they are colored. Being Obsidian, it blends in with other cars as stated. I kinda like that because it's my daily. As for my 370 Nismo, that's a whole different story. I don't drive that as often but it's fun when I do take it out.
Old 07-22-16, 06:50 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

F-brand has no cachet among enthusiasts and for the casual observer, this car looks like an IS250 AWD. Everyone I talk to knows what it is, but aside from a hottie in a GT500 and a fella in a Terminator, I haven't received compliments from other drivers. This car just blends in...and that was kind of my intention when I picked it over similar year CTS-V and M3.

Should have just called it the IS500 like the rumors said back in '06.
Old 07-22-16, 06:59 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by H1_OFICR
When the F is completely stock, even with the "super aggressive boy racer lines" as one magazine described it in 08... It really blends in with cars nowadays.
Not only that, but Lexus went ahead and made their F-Sport cars more aggressive looking, then really went in on the 3rd generation cars. They then dropped the ball on marketing the F, whereas F-Sports are easily more popular.

I think the end result is that most people see the IS F as another (old) F-Sport, while it's overshadowed by the current 3rd gen IS. As you say, if the F is stock, then it's pretty much the stacked pipes and engine (with some revs on it) that announce the car.

That said, I do think color matters (blue stands out). I've also been told by my passengers that the car does get attention, but I don't see it since I'm focused on driving.
Old 07-22-16, 07:38 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Try owning Supra's for a number of years. I have more guys swarm to me like magnets then I've had females.. I can count on 1 hand how many females have said something or approached me to comment about my Supras. Everywhere I went with that car it got male attention.. From driving, gas stations, parking, out to eat, etc.

I've gotten plenty of comments on the F though.

Old 07-22-16, 07:59 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

I had one person in a GS pulled up next to me last week and shouted "Nice Lexus!"

Aside from that, I only get ricers that tries to cut into my lane or rev their engine at stop lights. Usually G35/37s and Civics. I 100% ignore them when I see what car they're driving. Not worth my time
Old 07-22-16, 09:00 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Might I suggest long tube headers, exhaust dumps and a four foot wing?
Old 07-22-16, 10:46 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

This is kind of amazing. I've had my 2011 SFP for three years and I've gotten looks of appreciation less than half a dozen times. One really nice kid at the dealership told me that it was the coolest car in the place and all it has is a Borla cat back.

Very few people even know what it is let alone that it is a monster. I really was attracted to the car because it is such a "sleeper". But I also knew it was super well built and engineered. I'm just surprised that so many people are clueless. I do have to take a second look at other cars to see that they aren't F Sports though.

My previous sleeper was a 1989 Taurus SHO. I was able to replace the Yamaha 3.0 motor with the Yamaha 3.2 motor. The motor change out really woke that car up. The car weighed just under 3000 lbs. and had a realistic 300 hp. It was fast and I swear no one knew it. To bad it was front wheel drive.
Old 07-22-16, 11:03 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

From May1st 2014 to today - perhaps a total of 5 compliments out and about. Still surprises me.

There's definitely a "people not seeing what I'm seeing" when it comes to the ISF. Whenever I walk to my car, I see a silver ingot of solid, beautiful muscle. 4 doors or not. When I first saw the car on TV in 08 - the only ad I've ever seen it in - where the USB one zips around a city, I knew I'd have to have one. However, the car does not still-photograph well IMHO. Photographs don't catch the lines like say, e92 M3 photographs. However, there are those that "know," and they're usually cool to deal with.

Ask a kid what they think of the car from the outside if they haven't ridden in it. My guess is you'll hear something in the ballpark of "grocery getter" or "ma's car." Kids can be an interesting barometer for how a car comes off to the multitude.

I take my 78 Bird out, I get compliments every single time. People scream. I even won "People's Choice" at a car show I showed up late to the other day. I can't even pop the hood yet on that car.
Old 07-22-16, 11:46 AM
Drok149
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've gotten tons of people checking it out at the drag strip but when your running 11.9-12.1 in a Lexus sedan it's going to get people's attention. As far as daily driving goes I get the occasional "nice car" but it's very rare. In my 06 650 bimmer I had people compliment it all the time. I definitely think it's a coupe thing.
Old 07-22-16, 12:40 PM
zebani
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I get thumbs ups and engine revs occasionally. Although I even get engine revs from Scion TCs, so there is that. The other day someone was saying "A buddy of mine has got an IS250 F sport, I love how they look man". First I didn't really want to go into details since I really had no time for that, but then I told him the differences between the F cars vs. F sports, he was very surprised, and mind you this was coming from a 'car guy'.
Old 07-22-16, 05:41 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

We had a ln assistant manager from a restaurant at the Florida meet co.e out and check all the F's. Gave some compliments. When asked what he drive the guy responded with "the same car you guys have, an IS 350 F."

I get compliments on it from time to time. Especially after they hear it or guys who know what it is. But I like how subtle it us. Keeps attention low.
Old 07-22-16, 06:31 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Totally agree with three comments:

1) surprisingly, the car does not still-photo very well. In person it looks beautiful, but for some reason the lines don't show up as well in pictures. I sent some pics to a friend-girl of mine and I could tell she had no love for it...

2) perhaps the bolder colors get more attention, silver not as much??

3) it's a coupe thing. Period.

That being said, again, everyone loves it once they get in it, drive in it, or drive it. Then they see what we all see. It's like an epiphany and then all of a sudden they see it in a different light.

Old 07-22-16, 07:28 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
I sent some pics to a friend-girl of mine and I could tell she had no love for it...
"Time to hit the ole dusty trail!"

Last edited by Bigjon3475; 07-22-16 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-22-16, 07:45 PM
jv12
Rookie

I got mine earlier this month and no one knows what it is! However, people get in it and really like it - especially after I drive them around in it. Lots of positive compliments. They have NO IDEA a Lexus can go that fast! I bought it because I liked the idea that it was a car like the quiet unassuming guy in your office who goes totally unleashed on the weekends and no one suspects a thing! It's a sleeper car and I love it that way --It's OUR little secret! My friends call my ISF the "Unicorn Lexus" cause they are so RARE and so special haha!

Quick Reply: No love for the F? Anyone else notice this?