IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

No love for the F? Anyone else notice this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 04:34 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default No love for the F? Anyone else notice this?

In addition to the F, I have my 2004 6MT G35 coupe in excellent shape. That car gets impromptu compliments ALL THE TIME, men and women alike.

In the 4+ months I've had the F, the number of women, kids, passengers in other cars etc etc that have offered unsolicited praise for the F???

Exactly zero.

So, yesterday I took the G Coupe out for the first time in awhile and I get to the gas station. Start pumping gas. Bingo. Mom in the minivan at the next pump "I really like your car. What kind of car is that?" I tell her and that it is an 04 and she comments on what a great shape it has. LOL!

So, feeling pretty good, I decide to slum and take the G to work today.

Pulling onto my street on my way home I pass by three kids on their bikes: "I like your car"

SERIOUS LOL! 2 for 2.

I'm convinced that only coupes have "that" appeal, especially to women. In the F, you end up picking up guys that know about cars!! Now, once in the F, everyone loves it, but it just doesn't get the love...
Old 07-21-16, 04:36 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

another 10 yrs , ppls are still clueless about the F and already came out 8 yrs now .
Old 07-21-16, 04:51 PM
ISFHEMS
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you upload a picture for us please?
Old 07-21-16, 04:58 PM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's gotta be the area you're in. I get people throwing me thumbs up or giving me compliments at gas stations and out the window. A lot of times people ask if it's an F sport haha. It doesn't get as much attention as my STI did but that's exactly what I wanted.
Old 07-21-16, 05:28 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I seem to get more attention and praise in my S2K than my ISF. But I do occasionally get the thumbs up or I like your F sport.
Old 07-21-16, 05:48 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Honestly, the praises and compliments are fun to receive. I catch more people trying to take shots of the car when I'm driving, which isn't really safe on their part, but when they veer into my lane and I punch it, that's when I know I bought the right car. It doesn't need to please everyone or even be well known to the public; it just works right for me. A few Bimmer guys have pulled into the gas station while I'm filling up just to compliment me on the car and how "sick" it sounds. It's the douchbaggery that I can do without, whether on the roads or just chillin to the side. But I've been known to let people know the difference between an F sport and an F performance vehicle, even going to the point of walking around with potential customers at dealerships while I'm waiting around for parts or a few free moments to chat it up with some of the service techs. All in all, I enjoy it. That's what matters most.
Old 07-21-16, 05:52 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've gotten multiple compliments for the F. Gotten more since getting the exhaust installed. Even the drive thru guy at Roy Rogers, which was kinda creepy since I hadn't been there in MONTHS, "you changed the exhaust. it sounds good!"
Old 07-21-16, 06:36 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I get very few compliments from random bystanders, and if I do it's always "I love the F-sport". Like others have said once they hear it roar they know this isn't their neighbor's ISx50.
Old 07-21-16, 07:01 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Was at the drag strip with the F the friday before last for the evening test & tune. The Supra club was there, and I got to run away and hide from a Mk. 4 on my first pass.

When I pull into the staging lanes for my 2nd pass, an attractive young woman in a pink hoodie & carrying a helmet approaches & knocks on my window. I roll it down, and she says "Wow, that thing rips. Can I ride along?" I say sure, & she hops in.

It's the first time anything like that's happened to me in over 40 yrs. of driving.
Old 07-21-16, 07:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I didn't buy the ISF for praise - I bought it because I wanted it, and I still do. But, that doesn't mean I haven't received praise, I certainly have. I also owned a G35 Coupe, sold it 8 years ago when I picked up the F. Complements on that one too. But the iSF flies under the radar because it's so rare. The complements I have received are from the few folks who actually know what it is

Lou
Old 07-21-16, 07:34 PM
minator
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a thumbs up from a c63. Once...
It is a handsome car but definitely not as eye catching as a coupe, which, depending on what you like, is good or bad
Old 07-21-16, 07:56 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a guy pull up to me last night and tell me "that is a badass car". He said he used to have a is350 and then i did a little pull for him
Old 07-21-16, 10:34 PM
davidcausa
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I like my car being a mystery, but when I take people for a ride ....
Old 07-21-16, 11:17 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I didn't buy the ISF for praise - I bought it because I wanted it, and I still do. But, that doesn't mean I haven't received praise, I certainly have. I also owned a G35 Coupe, sold it 8 years ago when I picked up the F. Complements on that one too. But the iSF flies under the radar because it's so rare. The complements I have received are from the few folks who actually know what it is

Lou
Although I didn't come from a g35 to ISF, I am with Lou. Not a lot of people know about the F model and assume it's an F-sport. I like the fact that it's such a rare car....it's so rare that many think it's a aftermarket body kit added to an isx50. I started a thread similar to this last year...
Old 07-22-16, 04:31 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

One of the reasons there are few comments made by onlookers, is the difficulty in recognizing that the F is different from the ISx50 variants. Even as an F owner I have to take a real good look at a passing car to recognize that it is an F car and not an F-Sport or just another ISxxx. Of course if a car is parked in a parking lot it is easy enough to see what is an F and what is not but the reality is, people driving by, just are not going to take a second look at our cars. This, I bet is the same situation for Cadillac "V" cars. These cars have not been in the high performance ball game long enough to develop a solid following. People are far more likely to get excited when they see an M car or an AMG because those variants have been around so much longer. An appreciation of the F version will grow over time especially now that Lexus has two more F cars in the RCF and GSF. They just need to make those cars a bit more competitive with M and AMG equivalents to really put Lexus F cars on the map. The ISF was a great start, unfortunately Lexus has not been able to keep pace with BMW and Mercedes on the performance front with their new cars. In time when the F badge is thoroughly established as a Lexus elite version, I suspect people will appreciate the ISF much more given it being the first of its kind.

Quick Reply: No love for the F? Anyone else notice this?