IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Hydroplaning in a RWD/ISF

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 10:42 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hydroplaning in a RWD/ISF

So two nights ago we had a thunderstorm pop up and blast the roads on my drive home. Got the super heavy blinding rain with all the fun, hail in some places. Those of you familiar with the DMV area, this was on 495 in MD. So MD is really bad at keeping the lines visible on highways, and keeping the roads well lit. Hit a stretch of standing water and immediately hydroplaned. Nothing went wrong, but it made me curious.

Is there any difference in handling hydroplane in a RWD vs a FWD? Besides the old farm truck, this is the only RWD car I've driven. And is there anything to keep in mind about the ISF in particular with nasty weather like that?
Old 07-21-16, 11:05 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Get better tires or counter steer and throttle thru the turn like tsuchiya
Old 07-21-16, 12:12 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Hydroplaning is hydroplaning.... no matter if it is FWD, RWD or AWD. I found that the best way to get yourself out of it (in any car) is to let off the gas, keep the wheel straight and try not to apply the brakes until you get traction. Most people who end up spinning out of control during hydroplaning is because they immediately hit the brakes.
Old 07-21-16, 12:22 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
Hydroplaning is hydroplaning.... no matter if it is FWD, RWD or AWD. I found that the best way to get yourself out of it (in any car) is to let off the gas, keep the wheel straight and try not to apply the brakes until you get traction. Most people who end up spinning out of control during hydroplaning is because they immediately hit the brakes.
This.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-21-16, 12:29 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
-Agree

AND also, if you have no choice the tires with the most tread should be on the rear, for both RWD and FWD in regards to hydroplaning.
Old 07-21-16, 12:30 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Yeah I'm familiar with letting off the gas and no braking and all that. I was just curious if there was anything else to be aware of in RWD.
Old 07-21-16, 12:56 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, there is tons to be aware of when driving a RWD car vs a FWD car....I would take a look around google, there is tons of information on understeering, weight transfer, etc.

First things first: 1) Get new tires on your car. 2) Slow down in the rain. When it rains on the highway, I get into the right most lanes and do the speed limit.
Old 07-21-16, 12:58 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdave86
Yeah I'm familiar with letting off the gas and no braking and all that. I was just curious if there was anything else to be aware of in RWD.
Yeah u get less whp than fwd cuz more drivetrain losses but u also get better traction in rwd. Rwd also seems to be cooler in the sports car world
Old 07-21-16, 01:29 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Yes, there is tons to be aware of when driving a RWD car vs a FWD car....I would take a look around google, there is tons of information on understeering, weight transfer, etc.

First things first: 1) Get new tires on your car. 2) Slow down in the rain. When it rains on the highway, I get into the right most lanes and do the speed limit.
New tires are on the list already, I just crested the hill and it was 11PM so I didn't see the water til I was just about to hit it, deeper than I thought too.
Old 07-21-16, 01:34 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
Rwd also seems to be cooler in the sports car world
Cooler Their are definite advantages to rear wheel drive for any car, not only HiPo vehicles

Lou
Old 07-21-16, 01:44 PM
ISFHEMS
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First thing I do when it starts raining is go into snow mode. Call me chicken but it definitely helps in my opinion.
Old 07-21-16, 03:43 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdave86
New tires are on the list already, I just crested the hill and it was 11PM so I didn't see the water til I was just about to hit it, deeper than I thought too.
Are you still on OEM Bridgestones? If so, I know the feeling.. A couple years ago, I was driving on the Ohio turnpike during a complete deluge with the original OEM tires.. I could feel the car hydroplaning at anything over 50mph, and was white knuckle driving in the right lane with big trucks & AWD SUVs buzzing by on the left... The car really felt dangerous..

Fast forward to my first such rainstorm with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.. Wow, what a difference!!! They're fantastic in the rain.. Even at the track, I've been able to have some fun on a wet circuit with confidence.. For a versatile, all around tire, I highly recommend them.

BTW, I got caught in a ridiculously heavy rainstorm Monday afternoon. At times, it seemed like the entire road was several inches of standing water.. However, at reasonable speeds commensurate to the conditions, I was completely confident in the car's handling.

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 07-21-16 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-21-16, 03:58 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Are you still on OEM Bridgestones? If so, I know the feeling.. A couple years ago, I was driving on the Ohio turnpike during a complete deluge with the original OEM tires.. I could feel the car hydroplaning at anything over 50mph, and was white knuckle driving in the right lane with big trucks & AWD SUVs buzzing by on the left... The car really felt dangerous..

Fast forward to my first such rainstorm with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.. Wow, what a difference!!! They're fantastic in the rain.. Even at the track, I've been able to have some fun on a wet circuit with confidence.. For a versatile, all around tire, I highly recommend them.

BTW, I got caught in a ridiculously heavy rainstorm Monday afternoon. At times, it seemed like the entire road was several inches of standing water.. However, at reasonable speeds commensurate to the conditions, I was completely confident in the car's handling.

-Mike
Nope. Bought the car used in March and General G-Max tires were on the car already. And I hate them. I will be placing an order soon for Michelin PSS
Old 07-21-16, 08:02 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Shortly after buying the F last summer, I was rolling along a B road in SW Washington where lots of weather comes in off the Pacific. I ran into one of those deluges that the wipers can't keep up with even on their quickest setting. There were no exits and not enough shoulder to pull onto safely, so I slowed down to about 40 and slogged on with white knuckles.

It was the first time I had ever driven the F in the rain. Thankfully, there were fresh Bridgestone all seasons on the car (from the previous owner), and I experienced no hydroplaning whatsoever.

Old 07-22-16, 09:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

to counter hydroplaning , get better tires and slow the hell down in the rain. LOL AWD RWD, and FWD will all hydroplane. AWD might recover better though

Quick Reply: Hydroplaning in a RWD/ISF