IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Bedding in Figs 2-piece rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 07:53 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Bedding in Figs 2-piece rotors

So I've had these rotors on for a few months now with XT910 Racing Brake Pads (as recommended by Figs)

I did the first bedding procudre as instructed by Figs when I first got them.

The issue I was racing was when decelrating from a very high speed aggressivly I would hear and feel a very rough contact between the pads and rotors.

The rotors and not warped, they simply feel like there is an uneven pad material transfer (which is shown in the below pics)

I've done the bedding procedure 2 times so far.

After the first time and a few weeks of driving my rotors looked like the below pics:

Name:  A351726A-653E-4A72-9691-522057C39354_zpswuvm4qlp.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  156.9 KB

Name:  918D239B-21F9-4888-BD2D-62D06C6640C2_zpsqrm2utax.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  165.8 KB

After contacting Figs and telling them I am getting a rough feel form the brake pedal and noise when decelerating aggressively from a high speed I was advised to do a second bed-in procedure which I did.

Now I have the below pattern on my pads, it does show a better transfer onto the rotors but there are areas which seem to not be making contact with the rotors also the noise and rough feel when decelearting from high speed is still there.

When I say declerating from high speed I am talking about decelarting from 250km/h (155mph) to 0 in like 3-4 secs. This is aggresive decelartion but nowhere near as close to setting of the ABS or anything like that so I'm sure the guys who track their car will be abusing the brakes (rotors and pads) much more than I do.

Name:  IMG_1642_zpsab1hi3xn.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  166.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1643_zpsmdflavkp.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  161.5 KB

I have already contacted Figs on my second outcome but it's been nearly a week and no reply so I thought I'll share this here incase anyone has any advice.
Old 07-18-16, 08:21 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

First off, those are some of the prettiest rotors I've ever seen.

Secondly, I am no brake expert, but it does appear that there's a contact issue happening here. When I bedded in my Stoptechs (two passes of 10x 80-10MPH stops), the "glaze" was much more uniform. Check out my pics - these are cell phone pics & were taken IMMEDIATELY after the bed-in process.

Perhaps another 2-3 bed-ins will fix your issue.
Attached Thumbnails Bedding in Figs 2-piece rotors-img_20150702_223327560.jpg   Bedding in Figs 2-piece rotors-img_20150702_223344759.jpg  
Old 07-18-16, 08:40 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I would say give it some more time. When I installed and bedded my new rotors 3½ years ago they looked like the attached pict. After a few weeks they took on that smooth shiny sheen you would expect. BTW, my front pads are Ferodo DS2500.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Bedding in Figs 2-piece rotors-tinygrab-screen-shot-7-18-16-8.34.20-am.png  
Old 07-18-16, 08:58 AM
sedition
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Defratos
So I've had these rotors on for a few months now with XT910 Racing Brake Pads (as recommended by Figs)

I did the first bedding procudre as instructed by Figs when I first got them.

The issue I was racing was when decelrating from a very high speed aggressivly I would hear and feel a very rough contact between the pads and rotors.

The rotors and not warped, they simply feel like there is an uneven pad material transfer (which is shown in the below pics)

I've done the bedding procedure 2 times so far.

After the first time and a few weeks of driving my rotors looked like the below pics:

After contacting Figs and telling them I am getting a rough feel form the brake pedal and noise when decelerating aggressively from a high speed I was advised to do a second bed-in procedure which I did.

Now I have the below pattern on my pads, it does show a better transfer onto the rotors but there are areas which seem to not be making contact with the rotors also the noise and rough feel when decelearting from high speed is still there.

When I say declerating from high speed I am talking about decelarting from 250km/h (155mph) to 0 in like 3-4 secs. This is aggresive decelartion but nowhere near as close to setting of the ABS or anything like that so I'm sure the guys who track their car will be abusing the brakes (rotors and pads) much more than I do.

I have already contacted Figs on my second outcome but it's been nearly a week and no reply so I thought I'll share this here incase anyone has any advice.

Their recommended bedding procedure specified decelerating from 155mph to 0? That seems very unusual to me and a bit unsafe with new rotors especially if doing this on the street.

I know race pads/rotors require a higher temperature bed-in procedure, but you can easily achieve that with several successive stops from 60mph then from 80mph and not from such a high rate of speed.
Old 07-18-16, 09:17 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Yeah, you may not be getting them properly bedded. I had a difficult time bedding my HC+800 pads..Having just switched from the mild mannered NS400, I didn't realize how much heat I had to get into them to achieve a decent transfer layer.

Also, without knowing what other kind of braking you were doing that day, it could just be that you've exceeded the limitations of that pad with those very high speed stops..

-Mike
Old 07-19-16, 01:35 AM
Defratos
Racer

Thanks for the feedback, I'll do one more beddin and see how that helps.

Originally Posted by sedition
Their recommended bedding procedure specified decelerating from 155mph to 0? That seems very unusual to me and a bit unsafe with new rotors especially if doing this on the street.

I know race pads/rotors require a higher temperature bed-in procedure, but you can easily achieve that with several successive stops from 60mph then from 80mph and not from such a high rate of speed.
lol someone always reads this wrong.

I didn't say I was bedding in my brakes from 155mph.

155mph is my daily drive to work and back.

I did the recommended beddin procudre that Figs recommended to me as per below:

"To bend them, we suggest a highway without any traffic behind you and just do very abrupt braking cycles from 80 down to 55 or so. These should be very firm pedal pressures, like nearly as hard as you can press before ABS kicks in. The idea is to get enough repeated cycles to get the pad hot enough to re embed itself in the iron of the rotors. After about 5-6 of these evens, let the car cruise with no brakes so that the discs can cool again and then you can take and exit and inspect the wiping pattern again. "
Old 07-19-16, 09:17 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Have you rectified this issue Defratos? Im on the verge of scooping these up for a good weight advantage over the stock rotors and have never ran 2piece rotors in general, I want weight reduction without sacrifices and these fit the goal especially in the rotational area since its a more effective area to reduce weight from, as long as there are no issues like this one.
Old 07-19-16, 10:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

155mph is my daily drive to work and back. "
Should read - 155 miles is my daily round trip to and from work. mph is miles per hour

And again, Give it a bit more time!

Lou
Old 07-20-16, 03:43 AM
Defratos
Racer

Originally Posted by k20trick
Have you rectified this issue Defratos? Im on the verge of scooping these up for a good weight advantage over the stock rotors and have never ran 2piece rotors in general, I want weight reduction without sacrifices and these fit the goal especially in the rotational area since its a more effective area to reduce weight from, as long as there are no issues like this one.
I just did my 3rd beddin today morning.

The Pad transfer does look good after I did this, but I will find out in a few days if they've done the job.

The rotors are awesome, I haven't had any issues with them to be honest.

I'm just very **** about these things and want to get the best out of my pads and rotors.

I'm considering even getting the rear rotors if I end up buying the car from the company and shipping it back home

Originally Posted by flowrider
Should read - 155 miles is my daily round trip to and from work. mph is miles per hour

And again, Give it a bit more time!

Lou
lol Yes I work in a factory, to get here I have to leave the city and drive into an industrial area which is empty.

4 lanes, hardly any traffic so it gives me a good area to test the car out.

I guess it's the sound of that beautiful V8 with PPE Headers and Joe-Z that keeps me pushing it every day.

Car is still a beast

This should give you some idea on what my drive to work consists of every day (turn up the quality to 1080p) :

and please don't bash me on driving dangerously because I'm not, the video is speed up and as you'll see others are driving faster than me, this is the norm here.
Old 07-20-16, 04:41 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

This should give you some idea on what my drive to work consists of every day (turn up the quality to 1080p) :

YouTube

and please don't bash me on driving dangerously because I'm not, the video is speed up and as you'll see others are driving faster than me, this is the norm here.
Can't watch.. Video is private...

Pretty cool that you're able to drive your F so fast on your commute.. I'll bet the excitement would start affecting my memory..."Oh darn, I left my lunch at home again...BRB!!"

-Mike
Old 07-20-16, 05:21 AM
Defratos
Racer

video should be working now
Old 07-20-16, 07:02 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad to hear the rotors cleared up. What country is that where you're working? Thanks for sharing that video..it's always interesting watching someone else's commute to work; made my drive seem like a walk around the block. Haha.
Old 07-20-16, 07:33 AM
Defratos
Racer

Jeddah, KSA
Old 07-20-16, 12:12 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had both front and rears for almost a year and a half now and have had zero issues. I initially got the same pads as you and disliked them. IMO, they are only good for daily driving and not intended for spirited driving at triple digit speeds.

I also have the pleasure of being able to speed legally well into the triple digits on my daily commut to and from work. Those pads did not last me a year and they were done! No bite and they did not perform well at higher temps. I had an extra set of Hawk track pads laying around that I replaced them with and although noisy and dusty as hell they were night and day in performance. I figured I use instead of spending money I don't have too. Once these are done I will be trying Project Mu's HC+800 pads.

As bedding the rotors and pads in I did 60-10mph x6 and a couple 100-40ish stops.
Old 07-21-16, 01:01 AM
Defratos
Racer

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate your input.

I used the XT910 Racing Brake Pads as they were recommended to me by Figs for spirited driving, but I do agree under high temps they don't seem to perform as well.

As for bedding the rotors I did 60-10mph x6 and thats it, didn't follow up with 100-40~ stops. I followed what Figs had recommended as a good bedding procedure which is what I did.

What Hawk pads are you using? and has it been ok with the two piece rotors?

Anyone else have pad recommendations on these figs rotors?

Quick Reply: Bedding in Figs 2-piece rotors