Lexus Tech vs ISF (Dashcam Vid)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 05:18 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
RedlineAZ told his SA he had a camera and they disconnected it
That's my worry about mentioning it to them. Shouldn't be required to disclose you have one in the first place. I'd be even more suspect of them if I found out it was disconnected. Be interesting if there was a way to have a battery backup for those type of scenarios. I'd even consider some kinda GPS monitoring. My friend has one in his car mostly for theft deterrent where he can see the location speed ect with notifications to his phone.
Old 07-18-16, 08:41 PM
YotaLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AWilson013
Out of curiosity, what do you think would be an acceptable remedy?
I don't really know to be honest. A GSF? Lol.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I was joking. Id be mad as hell.
Sorry bud, didn't see the comment, just a quote from it.

I drive with my dash cam, if anyone was to borrow my car they'd be driving with the dash cam. Lexus isn't exempt. It's hard wired for a reason. It's the eyes and ears of the car, welcome to the future, you actually have to respect people's **** now.... Because your responsible. So no I don't tell them, but the SA mentioned it last visit.

I got an email back from the manager he offered to reimburse me the $320 for the service and mentioned fixing the harness cover like he was doing me a favor lol. Also said he chewed the techs ***.
Might get him to throw in some shirts, hats, pens.... You know cool stuff with Lexus logos on it and call it a day. A warranty would be cool though lol

What do y'all think is fair?
Old 07-18-16, 08:55 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Sounds like a slap on the wrist for the tech for I'm sure not the first offense judging from his phone call. I'd play hardball but then again im a *****. Don't let them off easy, go to corporate or go viral video via jalopnik. I'm sure that will get you compensated accordingly. Look how quickly other posts have been resolved when the post was made aware to the public outside of a small forum when you state which dealership and how they like to treat OPP.
Old 07-18-16, 08:58 PM
AWilson013
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by YotaLex
I got an email back from the manager he offered to reimburse me the $320 for the service and mentioned fixing the harness cover like he was doing me a favor lol. Also said he chewed the techs ***.
Might get him to throw in some shirts, hats, pens.... You know cool stuff with Lexus logos on it and call it a day. A warranty would be cool though lol

What do y'all think is fair?
I don't think $320 for the service is good enough, personally. I'd edit the video to include the name of the dealership, service manager, and tech, then I'd show it to them.

Also, a 9/10 on the satisfaction survey is very bad. Anything lower can ruin someone's month, I was told.
Old 07-19-16, 01:18 AM
Dritter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. I don't even drive my own car like that. Sorry OP. I am pissed for you.
Old 07-19-16, 05:59 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AWilson013
I don't think $320 for the service is good enough, personally. I'd edit the video to include the name of the dealership, service manager, and tech, then I'd show it to them.

Also, a 9/10 on the satisfaction survey is very bad. Anything lower can ruin someone's month, I was told.

It doesn't negatively affect the dealer as much as it affects the SA. In this case his SA lied to him or was relayed info from the tech and was made a fool. Either way I've seen SA's get canned over upset customers and their bad surveys for other reasons other than the SA.
Old 07-19-16, 06:09 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you do anything else. I would just reach out to a lawyer and check the laws in your state in reference to how many people have to know that a recording is occurring. Also defamation of character/name laws as well. You would hate to get involved in a countersuit. But that being said.. I agree that the proposed $320 reimbursement seems as a rather unimpressive amount/ attempt at correcting the situation.
Old 07-19-16, 06:52 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow speechless. As others have said, what a moron to joyride your car.

$320 is definitely a slap in the face. That might be what it represents to you but given its mostly labour, the financial impact to them would be neglible. Youd want compensation that actually impacts them for their stupidity.

As for chewing his ***, hmm sounds like a brief conversation. Where is the mention of suspension etc pending further investigation of other cars he has serviced etc. What if he pranged your car, it could of been so much worse.

Id agree with someone else's comments regarding seeking legal advice to your options. Some may be consider it over the top but at the end of the day, the dealer has admitted guilt through their offer so its just a matter of how much damage control they want given they know you could be spread that video like wildfire.

Best of luck with it and please keep us all posted on the outcome.
Old 07-19-16, 07:47 AM
sedition
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H1_OFICR
Before you do anything else. I would just reach out to a lawyer and check the laws in your state in reference to how many people have to know that a recording is occurring. Also defamation of character/name laws as well. You would hate to get involved in a countersuit. But that being said.. I agree that the proposed $320 reimbursement seems as a rather unimpressive amount/ attempt at correcting the situation.
Most recording laws (varies slightly by state) revolve around whether you have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" (I'm assuming you are in SC, which is a one party consent state, so the issue of getting consent to record from them is irrelevant). I think the fact the dashcam is in plain sight (also doesn't it make a notification noise when recording?) and the tech shouldn't reasonably think he has privacy while driving a customer car, while performing his workplace duties, and on public roads.

The phone conversation he had while in your car could potentially makes things tricky, but that would be between you and the individual. Practically speaking, the dealership would not likely want to pursue legal action on something small like this, especially because the potential PR battle would be detrimental.

If you are considering the idea of posting it on news outlets online, etc, I would briefly clear it with a lawyer that is familiar with the recording/privacy statutes in your state. If you just want to merely threaten to do this, then it isn't necessary. I would hope that the dealership would want to resolve this before it went too far. I agree with others that their initial offer to rectify the situation is pretty weak. Maybe if it all he did was drive it aggressively, but them lying to you about not being able to drive it makes things a lot worse IMO.

Last edited by sedition; 07-19-16 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-19-16, 08:12 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Perhaps try contacting Steve Lehto on oppositelock for some legal advice or some appropriate compensation for this situation. He's not local to you so laws will differ slightly but something tells me he might have seen something like this before and knows how to address it.

His contact info is in the bottom of the page I believe.
http://oppositelock.kinja.com/how-to...deo-1766119673
Old 07-19-16, 08:24 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sedition
Most recording laws (varies slightly by state) revolve around whether you have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" (I'm assuming you are in SC, which is a one party consent state, so the issue of getting consent to record from them is irrelevant). I think the fact the dashcam is in plain sight (also doesn't it make a notification noise when recording?) and the tech shouldn't reasonably think he has privacy while driving a customer car, while performing his workplace duties, and on public roads.

The phone conversation he had while in your car could potentially makes things tricky, but that would be between you and the individual. Practically speaking, the dealership would not likely want to pursue legal action on something small like this, especially because the potential PR battle would be detrimental.

If you are considering the idea of posting it on news outlets online, etc, I would briefly clear it with a lawyer that is familiar with the recording/privacy statutes in your state. If you just want to merely threaten to do this, then it isn't necessary. I would hope that the dealership would want to resolve this before it went too far. I agree with others that their initial offer to rectify the situation is pretty weak. Maybe if it all he did was drive it aggressively, but them lying to you about not being able to drive it makes things a lot worse IMO.
Great points. I had not thought of the issue of recording the phone conversation. But.. I only brought up countersuits because it has happened before. And while the customer won.. It's still annoying to be in level proceedings.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/man-p...ry?id=23163673
Old 07-19-16, 08:54 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

This is another reason I bought the Blackvue 650, it allows me to connect to the car while I'm in the waiting area and see a live view what they are doing in the the mechanics bay.
Old 07-19-16, 05:55 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Take the 320.00 and never ever go back there.

Take this as a learning experience.

Also, I drive my car worse than that daily (after fluids warmed up) for over 7 years and its perfectly fine...minus the worn tires.
Old 07-20-16, 09:01 AM
smt6
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Take the 320.00 and never ever go back there.

Take this as a learning experience.

Also, I drive my car worse than that daily (after fluids warmed up) for over 7 years and its perfectly fine...minus the worn tires.
Don't do this...
Old 07-20-16, 11:18 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

I have to agree... Don't do that.. I would be furious. And to the poster saying that he drives his car this way everyday.. Well that's awesome.. Because you own it.. And pay for tires/gas/service so you get to decide how to drive it. I don't think anyone here is worried about the health of the vehicle.

Something similar happened to me but I saw it with my own eyes vs a camera.. Here is my yelp review

"Dishonest facility. I caught them putting a inferior product in my vehicle after i asked MULTIPLE times making sure they had the type of oil i wanted. After letting them know they got caught, they "corrected the situation" by sending and employee to go purchase they type of oil they said they had in the first place. When i called to talk to the manager, just to let him know what went on, he did not apologize one time or act like it was a big deal. In a industry that WE as customers truly have no idea whats going on in the work bay, Honesty, Integrity, Sincerity, and TRUST are paramount. . I will NEVER set foot on their property again."

Quick Reply: Lexus Tech vs ISF (Dashcam Vid)