IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Track Junkies: Toyo R888 vs Nitto NT05

Old 07-16-16, 06:15 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Track Junkies: Toyo R888 vs Nitto NT05

Anyone have experience with both?

I will likely get some 18x9.5 wheels for the track soon.. For tires, I initially thought about trying the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2, but holy schnikes they're expensive!! Thus, I may try one of these..

R888: 275/35ZR18
NT05: 285/35ZR18

So far, I'm leaning toward the NT05 based on my research & reviews. I think the R888 will be a stickier tire at the track, but that's not a huge priority since stepping up from my 255/275 staggered PSS to this squared set-up should be a big handling improvement.

I like that the NT05 has a higher treadwear rating, so I may get more mileage out of them.. Also, they appear to provide better wet weather handling, so I'd have the luxury of using them to/from the track or in between events if I wanted & not worry too much about rain. Bonus: they're ~$25 cheaper too.. My only real concern with the NT05 in that size is possible fitment issues on the front.

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 07-16-16 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-16-16, 09:31 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

NT05 will be better for street and track but the R888s come on 2000 HP twin turbo Lambos so I think they'd be better for the track. There needs to be some balance. Also I heard that the R888 are so loud it will drive you crazy
Old 07-16-16, 12:56 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I had NT05's last season, they're more or a performance summer rubber Mike, the R888 is another game, better traction, better temperature and it's insanely sticky rubber, my confidence and entry speeds have increased with R888's by a foot long.

NT05 tread wear is 200 and R888 is 100, plus better temp. I know that I probably wont go back to summer performance for track use after being spoiled by R comps.

After few hot laps on a hot day, you'll notice NT05's overheating and start losing grip, need to take it easy then or keep pushing it for extra squeal and sliding, with R888's it takes a lot longer to get them to that point so you get to enjoy yourself longer without losing grip

Last edited by bbong; 07-16-16 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-16-16, 03:23 PM
MrFunex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got R888s on my second car (Honda S2000) and they are loud - there's a LOT of tyre roar as you drive along. With full tread they're below average in the wet (especially with standing water) and as they wear, they verge on the downright dangerous. The sidewalls are also pretty stiff.

On the flip side, once they're warm and the tarmac is dry, they give an astonishing amount of grip! Track use will see you generating huge cornering forces that may start to damage suspension components if you're unlucky etc. After a few laps, they feel like warm chewing gum, they're very sticky! You can't really get closer to full slicks whilst staying road legal.

Great, but far too compromised for a daily driver (in the UK) I'm afraid!
Old 07-16-16, 03:41 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you looked at the Yoko AD08R? Several track junkies running these with very positive feedback. I haven't tracked them yet but I can say they are much more streetable than I imagined. Low noise, insane dry grip and also perform well in wet.
Old 07-17-16, 12:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Im on my second set of AD08Rs and I love them. My issue is these crazy tires like the NT01 and R888 arent even available in my 255/35/19 and 295/30/19. The best I can do is to step up into the Michelin Pilot Cup2 . Its the best all around in the world. They are literally hyper car tires. I almost bought a set recently but was afraid of the extra .3" width at the same 295/30/19 in the rear . My fenders are shaved and rolled already . Might give it a go on the next round lol

As you can tell from the pic the rear is a pretty tight fit
Attached Thumbnails Track Junkies: Toyo R888 vs Nitto NT05-img_4362.jpg  
Old 07-17-16, 04:48 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Like bbong said the NT05 are really just a extreme performance summer tire like the AD08R or RE-11s. The R888 is a R-comp tire but it's a mild R-comp. I have heard people say "either the R888 is either the best extreme summer tire or the worst race tire" The R888 is a derivative of the NT01 (same tire company). I had the NT05's on my track prepped G35 and while they are grippy they do drop off quickly as they wear and they are by far the most dangerous tires I have ever driven in the rain besides a full slick. I really think going to the AD08R (like I8BMR said) or RE11/RE71 is a better step up from the PSS. I actually like the Hancook RS3's, they have really great wear/grip ratio, but the sizes are limited. I would say to only get R-comps unless you have a set of dedicated track wheels. Also be prepared if you go R-comp they give a lot less feedback (audibly, break away) , so there will be a learning curve and slightly more risk.
Old 07-18-16, 05:11 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Good info so far! Thanks.

These will be more or less a dedicated set of track wheels/tires, but they'll see some street miles as I'll use them to/from events whenever possible for convenience (especially for nearby tracks). I plan to keep my OEM wheels with PSS for year 'round use.

The AD08R sounds interesting, but I'm not too thrilled about the sizes offered in 18". I'd like to go with at least 275, but I also want to stay as close to 26" OD as possible.

Speaking of R-comps how does the NT01 compare to the R888?

-Mike
Old 07-18-16, 05:18 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bbong
I had NT05's last season, they're more or a performance summer rubber Mike, the R888 is another game, better traction, better temperature and it's insanely sticky rubber, my confidence and entry speeds have increased with R888's by a foot long.

NT05 tread wear is 200 and R888 is 100, plus better temp. I know that I probably wont go back to summer performance for track use after being spoiled by R comps.

After few hot laps on a hot day, you'll notice NT05's overheating and start losing grip, need to take it easy then or keep pushing it for extra squeal and sliding, with R888's it takes a lot longer to get them to that point so you get to enjoy yourself longer without losing grip
Tom, you haul your track wheels to events & swap there, right? I imagine it's a pretty tight fit. I'm ok with swapping wheels at the track, but it would certainly limit what else I can carry.. In particular, my ez-up canopy, which I usually put in the back seat would have to stay home..That would suck at places where the paddock is nothing but a big parking lot with no shade.

Maybe I need to start looking into a roof rack or tiny trailer for track days

-Mike
Old 07-18-16, 06:49 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Tom, you haul your track wheels to events & swap there, right? I imagine it's a pretty tight fit. I'm ok with swapping wheels at the track, but it would certainly limit what else I can carry.. In particular, my ez-up canopy, which I usually put in the back seat would have to stay home..That would suck at places where the paddock is nothing but a big parking lot with no shade.

-Mike
Hey Mike, you might want to PM Torxuven, He put together a really nice roof rack on his F for situations similar to this. He said it works pretty well.
Old 07-18-16, 06:58 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikersoft

-Mike
Mike, not really. After removing the spare and all the other accessories that are in the trunk, I can easily fit 2 wheels there (I need to get a wheel bag from tirerack, I've been using large garbage bags to pack them) as well as lots of tools, jack, stands and fluids that I think might be necessary. With two wheels in the back seats, you can fit a canopy too, I have one as well, sure it's a tight fit, but all fits when some logistics is used.

Like Piston said, NT05 were helluva scary in the rain, that I forgot to mention, I actually opted out of rain sessions as they're not much fun when you slide all over the track and I also got some surprised looks/questions from folks I've been basically lapping during dry sessions to almost a crawl when it started raining.

With Hankook RS3 I actually liked them a lot, but I never had them on the ISF just STI and Evo, and they were a bargain rubber with exceptional grip and wear, but I'd still not put them next to R888's, actually R888 are my first R-comps so just as Piston said, less feedback, easier to get them on the edge due to little feedback and requires some getting used to, all in all, I like them thus far. Another note on the RS3's, they're almost always sold out, hard to get them when you need them, so need to pre-order in advance. I still have 2 x RS3s V2 left brand new from when I had the Evo, if anyone is interested $100 gets them both, they are: 255x40x17

I don't think you need a roof rack or a trailer, just a bit of thinkering and you'll get everything you need in there.

Last edited by bbong; 07-18-16 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-18-16, 07:06 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I have square r888 265/30 all around. Coming from staggered PSS all I can say is WOW.
Going to the track the 29th, I'll report back.
Old 07-18-16, 07:20 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

With Hankook RS3 I actually liked them a lot, but I never had them on the ISF just STI and Evo, and they were a bargain rubber with exceptional grip and wear, but I'd still not put them next to R888's, actually R888 are my first R-comps so just as Piston said, less feedback, easier to get them on the edge due to little feedback and requires some getting used to, all in all, I like them thus far. Another note on the RS3's, they're almost always sold out, hard to get them when you need them, so need to pre-order in advance. I still have 2 x RS3s V2 left brand new from when I had the Evo, if anyone is interested $100 gets them both, they are: 255x40x17

I don't think you need a roof rack or a trailer, just a bit of thinkering and you'll get everything you need in there.
I do love the RS3's, I run them on my 240sx for enduro events since 190 treadwear or above is required. The handle abuse and rain very well and the grip lasts till the end. I swapped to BFG rivals at my last race and tore them to shreds in the first day. Your right about them being hard to get. I might have to get back with you about those tires if I decide to change to a 17" wheel on my racecar for the next race.

Originally Posted by JDMV8
I have square r888 265/30 all around. Coming from staggered PSS all I can say is WOW.
Going to the track the 29th, I'll report back.
Man, you guys are making me jealous with all these discussions of such meaty tires. My F is going to a track day this month with some marginally acceptable DWs. I just can't pull for two new sets of tires for the race car and the F. I wish they made the RE71's in the size I need. I can get a really good deal on the Continental R-comps, maybe i will try those.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-20-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-18-16, 11:50 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Piston1047

I do love the RS3's, I run them on my 240sx for enduro events since 190 treadwear or above is required. The handle abuse and rain very well and the grip lasts till the end. I swapped to BFG rivals at my last race and tore them to shreds in the first day. Your right about them being hard to get. I might have to get back with you about those tires if I decide to change to a 17" wheel on my racecar for the next race.

Man, you guys are making me jealous with all these discussions of such meaty tires. My F is going to a track day this month with some marginally acceptable DWs. I just can't pull for two new sets of tires for the race car and the F. I wish they made the RE71's in the size I need. I can get a really good deal on the Continental R-comps, maybe i will try those.
Sure thing, I have to recheck if they're 40 or 35, but they were never used, still have all shipping labels from tirerack, right now they're just collecting dust in the basement, I need to start getting rid of all the Evo stuff I have left. Sorry Mike, no more hijacking

Spare wheel set for track is what I went with and I'm happy, there is so little that ever go wrong with the ISF, I don't need to haul a whole truck of tools and equipment, just obvious, spare set of brake pads, brake fluids, oil and some tools to get the car raised. I'm very happy with R888's, I was happy for a long time with RS3's, NT05's I run them down last season and wasn't gonna get another set due to poor rain performance.

Probably after R888's I'll go with some other R-comps just to see the difference, but I always look at pricing, surely may not be the best rubber, but bang for the buck is what matters and going through them so quickly, price is of much concern for me.

With the purchase of R888 I got them heat-cycled and shaved, makes such a huge difference when wearing a new rubber! I don't think my F was ever glued to the floor like it is on these.
Old 07-20-16, 05:11 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Piston1047
Hey Mike, you might want to PM Torxuven, He put together a really nice roof rack on his F for situations similar to this. He said it works pretty well.
Thanks, I saw that.. It looks like a nice convenient set-up..

Mike, not really. After removing the spare and all the other accessories that are in the trunk, I can easily fit 2 wheels there (I need to get a wheel bag from tirerack, I've been using large garbage bags to pack them) as well as lots of tools, jack, stands and fluids that I think might be necessary. With two wheels in the back seats, you can fit a canopy too, I have one as well, sure it's a tight fit, but all fits when some logistics is used.

That's good to know.. I didn't even consider removing the OEM spare! I certainly wouldn't need it with four full size spares on board!

-Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Junkies: Toyo R888 vs Nitto NT05