IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First Track Day Ever- Have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 04:55 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Track Day Ever- Have some questions

I am thinking about doing a track day at AMP in August and have some questions.

Right now I think my car has stock brake pads and I am thinking about switching them for the track day since they are really worn out. I was thinking about getting stoptech pads since they produce less dust than the stock pads and are good for a DD. I am also thinking about changing the fluid. Any suggestions for the brake pads the fluid?

I am currently running 18x9 +35 wheels all around with RS3 V2's 265/40/18 on the back and goodgear eagle all season UHP 255/45/18 on the front. Any suggestions for the alignment? I am thinking about getting the matching RS3's for the front but I haven't decided.

Any other feedback is welcome

Thanks
Old 07-14-16, 05:21 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by juanmedina
I am thinking about doing a track day at AMP in August and have some questions.

Right now I think my car has stock brake pads and I am thinking about switching them for the track day since they are really worn out. I was thinking about getting stoptech pads since they produce less dust than the stock pads and are good for a DD. I am also thinking about changing the fluid. Any suggestions for the brake pads the fluid?

I am currently running 18x9 +35 wheels all around with RS3 V2's 265/40/18 on the back and goodgear eagle all season UHP 255/45/18 on the front. Any suggestions for the alignment? I am thinking about getting the matching RS3's for the front but I haven't decided.

Any other feedback is welcome

Thanks
First of all, I'd replace those all-season tires up front.. I can't imagine they'd provide any decent grip at the track, plus they probably exacerbate the IS-F's tendency to understeer when paired with those rear tires.

For your first track day, you can probably get by with OEM or any equivalent brake pad - unless you start channeling Aryton Senna right off the bat! Though, I'd recommend staying away from one of the mild mannered street pads (like PMU NS400) for the track. I did my first track day with OEM pads & was fine. If you continue to track the car, then you can start shopping for a pad that will work best for you, whether it be a combo street/track model or a full-on track pad. Sorry, I have no experience with Stoptech pads..

One thing that's highly recommended is to bleed your brakes beforehand.. If it's been a while (or you're not even sure if/when it's been done before), it wouldn't hurt to go ahead a run a couple bottles of fluid through for a complete flush.. Ensuring you have good brake fluid is one of the most important things for safety.. The last thing you want is to boil your fluid & lose the brakes.

The things to focus on during your first outing should be learning the circuit, track etiquette, flags, etc, and just focus on smooth, deliberate gas/brake/steering inputs. Have fun!!

-Mike
Old 07-14-16, 05:27 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Wow!! What a reply!! So detailed and full of useful/helpful info!! Should definitely help you out OP!! What awesome forum members we have here in the F community!!

V.
Old 07-14-16, 06:18 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

juan

i also 2nd not using all seasons for track. they aren't going to give you desired grip. I do have experience with the rs3 and I do think if you had a matching f/r set that would do great.

as for the brake fluid i would suggest dot 4 motul rbf600 that is what I run in all my track cars. yes there are higher wet/dry boiling point fluids but for the money i believe rbf600 is one of the best.

i also just put stoptech sport pads on my is-f but i have not been able to hot lap with them yet. the only data i have is putting them on 2013 wrx and also acura tsx. brakes held up well at autobahn north here (5x 20 minute sessions) no issues so far

Last edited by imp0rted1; 07-14-16 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-14-16, 06:47 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using the Stoptech pads and Motul RBF600 fluid on the street. It's fine for that but if I planned to track my car, I'd put the Project Mu HC+800 pads on. Great deal with Speed Freaks USA Project Mu HC+800 as well. You can read about this at this link Speed Freaks USA Project Mu HC+800.
Old 07-14-16, 07:37 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Running mixed tire compounds is super sketchy on track. Car gets unpredictable after awhile.
Old 07-14-16, 11:18 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys I will try to get new matching tire for the front.
Old 07-14-16, 11:19 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Would not recommend the StopTechs for dual duty--probably ok on the track but I get lots of dust and I get a lot of low speed squeaking.
Old 07-14-16, 11:54 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mikersoft gave a good response. I have been to AMP as well as a few other members here. I agree on atleast running the same compound tires (all summers is preferable). As far as brake are concerned , AMP is a pretty easy on the brakes sort of track. Even in advanced groups I will not get fade with a OEM or a stoptech type pad if I'm mindful, in novice group you will not have any issue especially with the average speeds and traffic in those groups. Most of the heat will probably come from the traction control modulating the brakes (if you use TC) I don't use TC on track ever but then again this isn't my first rodeo. I would bleed you fluid and get some stoptech pads and call it a day, regarding brakes. I wouldn't transfer to race brake fluid, especially Motul, unless you plan on bleeding your entire system alot. Motul, unlike ATE, has is VERY hydroscopic and is great for racing is not ideal for a DD that doesn't see the fluid constantly swapped. If it sits around it loves to absorb moisture. If you really want a race type brake fluid go with something like ATE type 200, it has a high boiling point while offering good shelf life and VERY LOW hydroscopic qualities, so DD is not a issue. In all honesty I haven't seen many novices push their car enough to require anything more than stock.
Old 07-14-16, 03:54 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I forgot to mention, I've been using Motul 5.1 brake fluid. It has a higher dry boiling point than OEM, but is supposedly more stable for DD use. My routine before a track day has been to bleed my brakes with a single pint.. If you can afford to take your IS-F to the track, I think the additional $12 for a new pint of brake fluid each time is worthwhile insurance...

I also recommend the Project Mu HC+800 as a good dual street/track pad.

-Mike

Old 07-14-16, 05:06 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

-Low-dust pads are not good for the track.
-Bald summers > all seasons...try to at least get comparable compounds.
-get dot4 brake fluid
Old 07-15-16, 05:35 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My first time at AMP I ran Porterfield R4S pads and they held up very well. I had no trouble slamming on the brakes repeatedly with no fade. I did have my brake fluid replaced before I went though. I also ran a pretty fresh set of Michelin PSS tires as well.
Old 07-15-16, 06:29 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Juanmedina, what is your experience level? Have you ever done autox or any other form of performance driving (competition go carts,FSAE) ? ZaxF and I will be at AMP on the 27th of this month, maybe you could come at that time instead, that way we could help you out. You could ride with me to kind of feel out the track. I really think for your first track day EVER concentrate on spending your money and time on the basic essentials, if you have the money get the best tires, even if buying all 4 new summers is your best application of resources. Like I said in novice group on a slowish technical track I can confidently say running race pads or fluid is overkill, but if you need to bleed the system go ahead and throw some good DOT4 and if you need pads, OEM or better is fine (even stoptech).

What you should also do is check out some video of some good drivers running the track. Get a mental image in your head of what is going on and the track map (this is all free !). Unfortunately TNiA doesn't have instructors so your on your own , unless you have a willing friend or private coach. Don't get to focused on all the equipment and be that guy with a race prepped car that is all over the track , off-line and doesn't even get his track pads into optimal heat range. Oh and remember to torque you wheels right before going out the first time.
Old 07-15-16, 06:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Juan, good read for you

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/roa...d-to-know.html
Old 07-15-16, 07:09 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Good read, I know Lance, good guy. we've talked about this track. I have raced there a ton of times in 4 different cars. Keep in mind, CMP is a MUCH faster track with two long straights (full coarse). I would definitely recommended more track capable pads/fluid for this track.

Quick Reply: First Track Day Ever- Have some questions