IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Raybestos rotors. No longer having Drilled holes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-16, 10:02 AM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Raybestos rotors. No longer having Drilled holes?

So unless Amazon is not sending the correct rotors even though the packaging states part number 980675.

My last shipments came as a solid rotor.
I phoned raybestos themselves and the technical advisor told me they are phasing out of the Drilled holes since they are structurally not holding up.

What's your response on these? Time to go back to oem or brembo brand? Or give the solid rotors a try.
Old 07-06-16, 12:12 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ordered from Rock Auto, received one drilled and one solid. Idiots! Will be sending back the solid and trying to get the second drilled. I think there are a number of guys using the Raybestos drilled on the forums without any issues.
Old 07-06-16, 12:49 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Some members are getting hairline cracks around the holes on the stock rotors. AFAIK It hasn't proven to be a problem however. I have changed my front rotors to the slotted type. Both drilling and slotting a rotor has the same end goal - to improve cooling.

I guess Lexus has come to the same conclusion that I did because now the RCF and GSF come with slotted rotors and Lexus no longer produces a vehicle with drilled rotors.

Lou
Old 07-06-16, 12:53 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Some members are getting hairline cracks around the holes on the stock rotors. AFAIK It hasn't proven to be a problem however. I have changed my front rotors to the slotted type. Both drilling and slotting a rotor has the same end goal - to improve cooling.

I guess Lexus has come to the same conclusion that I did because now the RCF and GSF come with slotted rotors and Lexus no longer produces a vehicle with drilled rotors.

Lou
I with Lou on this.
Old 07-06-16, 01:09 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lou
Brand of Rotor and where did you pick them up? I am returning the Rockauto mismatched pair and will be looking elsewhere.
Old 07-06-16, 01:33 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Lou
Lou, I agree , going to slotted vs. drilled is better, I will probably do the same when I need too. But both slotted and drilled do not improve cooling, they actually do the opposite when removing heat from the pad.

Since material is removed they have less thermal mass and remove less heat form the pad, a overheated pad, not rotor, is what causes brake fade. Drilled and slotted rotors used to be used to help with the outgassing that pads experienced with high heat that created a boundary layer between pad and rotor. Almost all modern pads don't have this issue. At this point drilled is just for looks and is overall worse for performance than a solid rotor due to the reduction in material and stress concentrations at the holes. The only time drilled has a potential advantage is in weight reduction on smaller/thinner rotors, where the reduction in material can be of impact to the system without compromising structural integrity (sport bike, small open wheel car). Although slotted have the disadvantage of slightly reduced thermal mass they make it up by "scrapping " the pad layer and removing any "glaze" ,debris or degraded pad material.
Old 07-06-16, 02:34 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston1047
Lou, I agree , going to slotted vs. drilled is better, I will probably do the same when I need too. ......rapping " the pad layer and removing any "glaze" ,debris or degraded pad material.
very informative
Old 07-06-16, 02:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Lou, I agree , going to slotted vs. drilled is better, I will probably do the same when I need too. But both slotted and drilled do not improve cooling, they actually do the opposite when removing heat from the pad.
Here:

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/d...ke-rotors.aspx

Lou
Old 07-06-16, 02:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Brand of Rotor and where did you pick them up? I am returning the Rockauto mismatched pair and will be looking elsewhere.
I got them from former forum sponsor, Adams Rotors. The rotors have worn well. However, I was not happy with the service or support:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-brakes-2.html

Lou
Old 07-06-16, 02:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Never heard of Raybestos rotors. Today I just ordered new Stoptech Aerorotors to replace my aged F-Sport BBK ones. Figured to save some money since F-Sport are just rebranded Stoptech. My current F-Sports are drilled and (knocks on wood) never had any issues or cracks. I debated getting slotted this time, but settled on drilled again. Maybe next time..

Lou its crazy that you mentioned Adams Rotors. Before my F-Sport BBK, I had picked up some Rotora BBK that I had to piece together. Bought some Adams Rotors which are very high quality, but the service/support was abysmal. They messed up my order twice, wrong size rotors, forgot to send drive pins. Suffice to say they'll NEVER earn my business again.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 07-06-16 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-06-16, 04:15 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

See post #5 here.... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...o-be-true.html

I know for a fact the quality of the Raybestos rotors (China) pales in comparison to the Brembos (Italy) and the price difference is not that great. I personally have not seen cracked OEM Brembos from moderately hard street use. For the money on Ebay, depending on the intended use, the price of the Brembos is phenomenal. Hard street use with repeated heat cycles, track use, etc; a slotted rotor of some sort may certainly be worth the investment.
Old 07-06-16, 04:40 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalISF
See post #5 here.... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...o-be-true.html

I know for a fact the quality of the Raybestos rotors (China) pales in comparison to the Brembos (Italy) and the price difference is not that great. I personally have not seen cracked OEM Brembos from moderately hard street use. For the money on Ebay, depending on the intended use, the price of the Brembos is phenomenal. Hard street use with repeated heat cycles, track use, etc; a slotted rotor of some sort may certainly be worth the investment.
Here are my OEM rotors after 44K miles and 5 track days. I started getting the cracks after my third track day this past April using Project Mu HC+800 pads.. I'm not knocking the pads.. I think they're a great street/track combo pad. IMO, they're just showing the limits of the Brembo rotors with aggressive track use. I'm probably going to upgrade to 2 pc. slotted rotors, since I'm hooked on F'ing the track!

-Mike

Old 07-06-16, 04:40 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Since material is removed they have less thermal mass and remove less heat form the pad, a overheated pad, not rotor, is what causes brake fade. Drilled and slotted rotors used to be used to help with the outgassing that pads experienced with high heat that created a boundary layer between pad and rotor. Almost all modern pads don't have this issue. At this point drilled is just for looks and is overall worse for performance than a solid rotor due to the reduction in material and stress concentrations at the holes. The only time drilled has a potential advantage is in weight reduction on smaller/thinner rotors, where the reduction in material can be of impact to the system without compromising structural integrity (sport bike, small open wheel car). Although slotted have the disadvantage of slightly reduced thermal mass they make it up by "scrapping " the pad layer and removing any "glaze" ,debris or degraded pad material.
Spot on! Thanks for saving me some time typing out the same explanation

-Matt M.
Old 07-06-16, 04:51 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Here are my OEM rotors after 44K miles and 5 track days. I started getting the cracks after my third track day this past April using Project Mu HC+800 pads.. I'm not knocking the pads.. I think they're a great street/track combo pad. IMO, they're just showing the limits of the Brembo rotors with aggressive track use. I'm probably going to upgrade to 2 pc. slotted rotors, since I'm hooked on F'ing the track!

-Mike

Mike I agree, ANY type of hard track use (with the exception of drag strip use), and the repeated heat cycles will certainly push the limits of the OEM rotors. That being said, I think you did good with 44k on them, I don't think I have ever had 44K on any of my OEM rotors on any of my vehicles, ever.
Old 07-06-16, 04:53 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikersoft

-Mike

And I concur, I think a two piece rotor is where I am going next, although I think I will go with another set of the Endless MX72 pads I am currently using.

Quick Reply: Raybestos rotors. No longer having Drilled holes?