New ISF Owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-16, 06:32 PM
ich1ban
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New ISF Owner questions

Hey all

Recently upgraded from an IS250 my11 to an ISF my13 and really enjoying it, however just have a few questions that hopefully some of you may be able to answer.

Firstly, something I've found from shifting from Drive->Reverse and Reverse->Drive; I notice and feel that something that didn't occur in my IS250, like a suspension in the car like it's being lifted up and down slightly and it makes a slight creak noise?

Secondly, my brakes(I think the rear ones) seem to squeal a lot the more I drive it when coming to a stop and applying the brake slightly. I've read that this is normal for Brembo performance brakes and that after a while of bedding them in from doing multiple stops it should go away a bit but mine hasn't after a month of ownership.

Also read that it is like that when cold and should disappear after warming them up as they're meant for the track - however for me, when I first start up and drive the car it's quiet, however after driving them for 5-10 minutes, the squeals start appearing...

Anyone able to confirm this that it's all normal, maybe thinking I should go back to the dealership and get them to check the brakes.

Thanks in advice!
Old 07-03-16, 06:57 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First off congrats and welcome!
For me, the breaks are normal. Mine do that but usually it goes away with one hard stop (45-15ish) or if I roll about 15mph and just slam on them. There are threads about different pads (street vs track) and I think most will say it's normal especially for a brembo system.
Old 07-03-16, 07:01 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

I too took my F to the dealership to get them to check out my brakes (stopping performance was still incredible and no shaking or anything) because I had the squeal. Turns out my rotors are damn near perfect condition and the dealership I bought the car from a few months before had changed the pads out...si those were in perfect shape as well! Guess it's just par for the course with large performance brakes. Though I did read a thread on here recently that explains how to properly lube the brakes when installing pads to keep them from squealing. May want to check into that thread.
As for the shifting, can't really say I notice the car "lifting" or lowering.
Congrats on your BIG upgrade!!

V

V.
Old 07-03-16, 07:36 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brakes behave very similarly like what you described. I thought there's something wrong but after reading on here it seems to be normal. It happens if the pads are recently changed, which I did about a few months ago.
Apparently the bedding period might be a lot longer than I expect

I had similar impression regarding the suspension when I first switched over from IS350, i am guessing that has to do with the F brakes having more bite....not sure why that is but i forgot about it after a while
Old 07-03-16, 08:24 PM
ich1ban
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys, yes the brakes are amazing and performs perfectly, it's just the squeal every time I approach the red lights is ridiculously and embarrassingly loud causing people to turn heads and wonder what's making it. It's just weird reading so many threads and people claiming that it goes away after some hard braking and warming them up, but mine is the opposite, it's nice and quiet but then gets loudly the more I drive...

Yep I had all 4 of the brakes (discs/pads?) replaced with brand new ones upon purchasing mine so the brakes are brand new. I have the invoice for it and it totaled up to about $4500 AUD. I'm assuming they installed them but didn't bed them properly or they didn't apply some anti squeal substance?

I can't seem to find ANY information regarding my car feeling like it shifts a tiny bit with some noise when going from R->D and D->R so maybe I should call the dealership about this as well.
Old 07-04-16, 06:38 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to the F forum.

The 2013 my cars are quite rare & desirable.
Old 07-05-16, 12:44 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the f family sir
Old 07-05-16, 12:49 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Welcome!

Try this - should help with the noise. http://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php

My brakes do not make any noise.
Old 07-05-16, 10:22 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats and welcome. Get ready, people will think you're an IS250 F.....................(ask me how I know)

Anyhowz, welcome to the world of Brembo brakes, that's how they behave. You can go with a different pad next time if you want, but I don't recommend ceramic because it takes away from the performance, thus creating less dust.

Happy Motoring!