IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Track guys,how many bars oil temp is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-16, 10:05 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I just did a track day on Friday with temps near 90 and high humidity.. My oil temp never got higher than 1 bar past dead center (I have a 2012). Based on some other recent observations, I attribute this in part to Redline oil, which I've decided to try out for my last oil change.. This stuff rocks! Shortly after the oil change, oil temp wasn't even halfway at the end of a hot afternoon commute. I don't think I've ever seen it lower than dead center after driving the car for 30 miles..I took the photo below right after I arrived home with car still running.

Another positive side-effect I've noticed is my A/O separator isn't doing much of anything these days. The photo below is after two afternoon track sessions from last Friday.. There was maybe twice that after the two morning sessions, but that's because I hadn't emptied the catch can in weeks!

For reference, the catch can was 3/4 full after two afternoon track day sessions in April on the same circuit. At the time, I was still running Mobile 1 oil. I was at Pocono in May a week after switching to Redline & didn't catch much more than the photo all day.. It was a very cool day, so I didn't think much about it at the time, but Friday's track day results have sold me on Redline oil

-Mike

Mike,

Confused by your photo, your saying that you've never seen your oil temp bar sit at 3 (bars) or 1 under dead center before?

That's normal operating temp for the F if I'm correct Mine always sits at 3 bars even in hot weather?
Old 07-04-16, 10:52 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Mike,

Confused by your photo, your saying that you've never seen your oil temp bar sit at 3 (bars) or 1 under dead center before?

That's normal operating temp for the F if I'm correct Mine always sits at 3 bars even in hot weather?
Yeah, once the car is completely warmed up, my oil temp is almost always dead center during warm weather. Though, now that I think about it, it might top out at one bar less in the winter, but I'm usually not paying much attention to it then. However, I took that pic because I was surprised that it was not dead center after a 50+ min drive on a hot afternoon.

I've begun tracking the car more often (three days so far this year), plus I'm pushing the car harder as I get faster, so I've started paying closer attention to oil temp. However, the previous two events this year had cool weather (only 50s & 60s), so I didn't notice it get any higher than the mid-point. Since my friend (also with a 2012) mentioned how hot his oil had gotten at the track during a hot weather event, I wondered how mine would do this past Friday. I was impressed that it never got higher than one bar past center.

-Mike
Old 07-10-16, 08:23 AM
PedroRedon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm from Dominican Republic and during trackdays with temperatures around 85-90F my ISF will easily go to un bar over the center. This will happen just after 2mins of track. It will stay in there for my whole session (I usually don't do over 8 consecutive minutes). On a side note I race cars and I always really push the car to the limits.

What I've always wonder is what is the oil temperature at 3,4,5 bars? Does anyone has this information? I've been looking for it with no positive results.

First post ever

Regards everyone!
Old 07-10-16, 01:09 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm in the same boat as Tammer, had mine up to max temp a few times and had to back off. Short shifting in 80+ ambient is almost a necessity if you don't have an oil cooler. about 2/3 into a 20 min session I'm backing off because temps are 1-2 bars from peak. It also depends on the track. Not too technical with long straights will help keep your temps down as the motor has a chance to cool, a tighter more technical track will keep you off and on the throttle and pushing the car to rev limits more often.
Old 07-10-16, 03:51 PM
stick
Pole Position

You should post what model year you have. There is some confusion here...

2008-2010 seem to have the 3rd bar as normal operating temp.

2011-2014 (newer gauge cluster) seem to have the 4th bar as normal operating temp.

I have a 2012, and it is always at the 4th bar. I've hit the 5th bar with spirited driving.
Old 07-10-16, 05:39 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stick
You should post what model year you have. There is some confusion here...

2008-2010 seem to have the 3rd bar as normal operating temp.

2011-2014 (newer gauge cluster) seem to have the 4th bar as normal operating temp.

I have a 2012, and it is always at the 4th bar. I've hit the 5th bar with spirited driving.
Didn't know that the gauge clusters are different between the two ^^^^^^

Here is a pic below of one while I started the car after sitting in the sun for a few hours, then the other one is while driving for a while and mine sits at 3 bars.......

Temp was while sitting in the sun for a while.......

While driving for a while showing the oil bars sitting at 3
Old 07-10-16, 06:02 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Didn't know that the gauge clusters are different between the two ^^^^^^

Here is a pic below of one while I started the car after sitting in the sun for a few hours, then the other one is while driving for a while and mine sits at 3 bars.......

Temp was while sitting in the sun for a while.......

[

While driving for a while showing the oil bars sitting at 3
Wow still sitting at 3 bars after several hours parked?? I don't even get that after several hours parked in 100-105 degree heat with the sun right on it, good to hear it doesn't seem to be an issue at least, and yes 3 bars on that years gauge cluster is normal operating temp.
Old 07-10-16, 06:32 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Yea I don't remember how long it had been sitting but was long enough to see 118 on start up lol...... and yea oil was still warm enough but no issues so that's good.
Old 07-11-16, 08:29 PM
Ramfis
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the weather here is always around 90 so I ussually run on 1 bar less than center, but when on rack or going hard for like 20 minutes on mountains and lots of turns roads (following an F430 and a 2009 C06) it went up to 1 bar past the center. After a few minutes os easy driving it went back to normal.
Old 07-12-16, 04:39 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

At the end of my Pocono track day on Sunday, they opened up the full NASCAR tri-oval.. I did maybe 7-8 laps averaging ~120mph+ (rough estimate based on my observed max corner & straight speeds each lap), with RPMs mostly 4500-6800.. I don't think the oil temp ever went past mid-way.. I guess all that open air at high speeds helped. Temps were in the 70s.

-Mike
Old 07-12-16, 08:31 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Sounds like fun! Wish we had some decent tracks out here but our selection is pretty limited unfortunately
Old 07-14-16, 03:52 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

The highest I saw before Oil Cooler upgrade was one bar from highest during heavy track use and warm day, was actually doing cooldown runs for one lap to let it go down. After installing Oil Cooler, I'm usually one or two bars above mid on hot day and beating the living crap out of it on the track.
Old 07-27-16, 06:59 PM
PedroRedon
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

This Sunday I went to the track on my ISF 2011 and paid special attention to both coolant temperature and oil temperature.

The results were as follows:

Ambient temperature was all day between 88 and 92F. Oil reached as high as two bars over the middle and water temperature was between 217 and 222F (checked with a OBD2 scanners during my track time. I never did over 4 consecutives lap (6 minutes) but I was pushing very hard all the time. At the end of the day there was a 2016 Carrera S Turbo right on front of me for 2-3 laps and water temperature reached 232F. I've never seen the bars on water temperature move over the middle but after 230F it moved one bar over the middle, at this time I decided to stop because. Our track is actually pretty slow, full of slow corners were fastest corner is around 65mp and a main straight were I reached 114mph according to Harry's Lap Timer. There is also a shorter straight were the car clocks 106mph

The following users liked this post:
RJMacReady (06-26-24)
Old 07-27-16, 07:56 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

I drive my car hard (never tracked), but never seen anything past 3 bars in fact it takes forever to get there so I can drive the car how I want.

Im not sure if the oil (mobil 1) does the job or cleaning out the cooler helped the job, but as soon as I got my car the radiator, condensor, oil cooler, ac was cleaned out using all purpose cleaer/degreaser and a nice hose, you would be amazed at how much bugs, dirt, rocks, etc get stuck in there reducing the performance.

Same concept as cleaning out the air conditioning from a home or cleaning the condenser on a fridge.
Old 07-27-16, 08:16 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

I don't want to sound like a salesman, but given my last two track days + the heat wave we've been experiencing around here lately, I'm convinced that Red Line oil is running cooler than the Mobile1 I was previously using.

This pic was taken 20 miles into my commute on what was probably the hottest day we've had around here in many years. I know that car thermometers tend to read high, but this was moving along on the freeway, not sitting still in a hot parking lot (actual temp was ~100). I've never seen my oil temp so consistently below the mid-point during hot weather and/or track day driving. I changed the oil at just over 43K miles. I plan to change it again at 50K and send a sample to Blackstone for analysis. If all goes well, I'll stay on a 7.5K oil change interval to help offset the cost of the Red Line oil.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Track guys,how many bars oil temp is normal?