IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Slicks

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 11:49 AM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slicks

Anyone running 17x9 rims on the rear end? I am wondering if I should order some mustang rims and put these tires on the rear end.

They should be sticky....
<br >
Old 06-30-16, 02:58 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Ooh baby... 11 sec ets. here we come.

Yes, some of the 17" Mustang rims fit on the rear of the F, from what I've read on some of the wheel fitment threads on CL.
Old 07-01-16, 05:52 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Is there much experience with slicks on this forum with this chassis NA? Maybe with a line lock kit and the ability to alter the launch RPM you could take advantage of them.

I just don't see a slick being necessary until forced induction comes into play.
Old 07-01-16, 07:03 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^this. some of the fastest times are with a rather small 245 width drag radial with no traction issues. slicks IMO are overkill.
Old 07-01-16, 08:15 PM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BS ISF
^^^this. some of the fastest times are with a rather small 245 width drag radial with no traction issues. slicks IMO are overkill.
I just went a whole weekend with spinning through all of 1st and 2nd with Nitto NT05's. Drag radials are only marginally better than that.

I do have a line lock installed so no problems there for heating them up. I would like to spray very early as I have a progressive controller on my nitrous. Let's say, 40% over 2 seconds if I hook! I was running 0% over 4 seconds because I couldn't hook.

Time to go big!
Old 07-01-16, 09:13 PM
FFM
Racer

Line lock, there ya go haha. Details?
Old 07-01-16, 11:54 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Don't pay any mind to keypad racers.

Give 'em a try & let us know how they work out. I'm paticularly interested to hear if they work any better than drag radials. I've run a best 60' of 1.775 on 245 M/T ET Streets (no spray), despite serious traction issues.
Old 07-02-16, 09:04 AM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tas02
Don't pay any mind to keypad racers.

Give 'em a try & let us know how they work out. I'm paticularly interested to hear if they work any better than drag radials. I've run a best 60' of 1.775 on 245 M/T ET Streets (no spray), despite serious traction issues.
Unsure if you are calling me a keypad racer.... Either way, I have a full build ISF with I/H/E/Nitrous with progressive control and line lock. My best run was an 11.64 with almost 5000DA.

YouTube Lexus ISF quarter mile and you will see my video by Rob Foster. Black ISF doing an 11.80, from my burnout, you will know I have line lock.

I will keep you guys informed on how the tires work. Should be interesting for sure.... If I don't break my axel launching too hard!
Old 07-02-16, 10:24 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Bakewalk:

"Unsure if you're calling me a keypad racer..."

Huh???

Sir, I stated you should "pay no mind" (in other words, disregard) the keypad racers. I've read and responded to your previous posts, and am aware that you use nitrous.

To repeat myself, give 'em a try & let us know how they work out. I'm particularly interested.

Last edited by tas02; 07-02-16 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-02-16, 11:28 AM
FFM
Racer

Interested in your line lock setup. Only reason I assumed slicks were unnecessary is because I spent every weekend for 4 years at the 1320 and punch it from the line launching in an auto on slicks rarely is an advantage haha. The inability to increase the launch rpms negates the advantages of a sticky setup.

That balance between slip and not bogging out the hole.

So many people would try and cut a super low 60' they would go full potato and grab a monster slick they don't have the power to utilize and end up with a worse 60 lol.

I too am curious what the stock drivetrain can handle. One of the components has to be a weak link, I would actually prefer that to be an axle. I did that on purpose with my drag car. Axles on it were cheap and easily replaceable in the pits. Good luck dude I'm hoping to see 10 second ISF's with the new forced induction options.
Old 07-02-16, 05:35 PM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tas02
Originally posted by Bakewalk:

"Unsure if you're calling me a keypad racer..."

Huh???

Sir, I stated you should "pay no mind" (in other words, disregard) the keypad racers. I've read and responded to your previous posts, and am aware that you use nitrous.

To repeat myself, give 'em a try & let us know how they work out. I'm particularly interested.
It's all good, it's what I thought you meant. Thanks!

Currently my home track is an 1/8 mile air strip with very little prep, so traction is a major issue any why I'm looking at slicks. It wasn't an issue when I was racing at a full prep 1/4 mile strip in Alberta. I am super curious to see what I can do.

My line lock setup is very simple, just your basic line lock and I have put the trigger beside where your blank button space is above your left knee. I get to the burnout box, hold the brake hard, push the button down and let off the brakes... I can do a burnout for as long as the tires last!
Old 07-04-16, 05:45 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Bakewalk
It's all good, it's what I thought you meant. Thanks!

Currently my home track is an 1/8 mile air strip with very little prep, so traction is a major issue any why I'm looking at slicks. It wasn't an issue when I was racing at a full prep 1/4 mile strip in Alberta. I am super curious to see what I can do.

My line lock setup is very simple, just your basic line lock and I have put the trigger beside where your blank button space is above your left knee. I get to the burnout box, hold the brake hard, push the button down and let off the brakes... I can do a burnout for as long as the tires last!
Pictures? And more info please? I'm very interested.
Old 07-05-16, 12:56 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bakewalk
I just went a whole weekend with spinning through all of 1st and 2nd with Nitto NT05's. Drag radials are only marginally better than that.

I do have a line lock installed so no problems there for heating them up. I would like to spray very early as I have a progressive controller on my nitrous. Let's say, 40% over 2 seconds if I hook! I was running 0% over 4 seconds because I couldn't hook.

Time to go big!
I hear ya but seeing as I have a lsx boosted notch that weighs just over 3k on a two step with north of 700whp on a 275 MT ET street. I have cut 1.4 60ft times with these tires. For me they work way more than marginally better than the nitto's. Just my experience. Hope you find a tire that works and you set some new records.
Old 07-05-16, 03:59 PM
SlowXIsf
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i run a 17x9 cobra wheels on my rear with 275/40/17 DR's. its rubs a lot when hitting bumps or taking a turn.
Old 07-05-16, 04:04 PM
SlowXIsf
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: Slicks