IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New to ISF Questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 09:20 AM
512ISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to ISF Questions!!

I purchased the car with the takeda intake already installed. I've seen via multiple threads the takeda robs a decent amount of power. I have the stock air box all I need is the filter.

Should I buy an oe replacement for $30
Or buy the AFE dry filter for $75
Is there actually a noticeable difference between the two?

Also I'm having significant traction problems. I'm running 285 motivos( not high performance tires) and want to switch to something stickier.

What kind of tire seems to solve the lack of traction when launching?
Old 06-28-16, 09:37 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Best possible intake:
RR - Racing tuned intake / box + elbow + tune (requires headers / exhaust for better flow, so the airbox can make the most power)
(I just bought this setup, waiting to arrive)

2nd best:
Joe Z elbow OR HPS silicone elbow + AFE DRY drop in panel filter
(Shameless plug, my Joe Z intake elbow IS indeed for sale HERE)

I had the takeda when I bought the car, I made more power with the stock box so I ditched it.

Question 2:
I had Hankook Evo v12s that were made of rubberized dog **** and always spun with barely any throttle. Switching to 245/35 front and 275/30 rear Michelin Pilot Super Sports has totally solved my wheel spin problem. I no longer burned rubber through 2nd or 3rd like the Hankooks. If anything, I get a little bit of wheel spin / traction light if I put my foot all the way to the floor at launch. They're incredibly hard to spin, great grip, only trade off is they were ~$1,400 installed with warranty.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-28-16, 09:47 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Intake: I had a bunch. The ultimate is to go for the RR-Racing tuned intake w/bigger MAF (this would require headers and exhaust)--costliest option, but it's the best. I went from 370whp and 360wtq to 425whp and 400wtq.
For the time being, use a stock airbox, any drop-in, and maybe some intake elbow if you'd like (RR-racing or JoeZ).

Tires: I just got hankook RS3s for my Evo for a steal of a deal and I can't recommend these tires enough. I have Toyo R888 on the F now, which are sensational but come with compromises. Look at bridgestone re71r, re11, michelin pss, hankook rs3, starspecs, etc.
Old 06-28-16, 09:48 AM
RNISF
Rookie

Buy the hps and afe filter combo. For tires I'm running 275/30 pirelli p zero nero gt and I get no wheel spin at all. Love them.
Old 06-28-16, 10:26 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

First off, welcome to the F family and Club Lexus! You're definitely going to have a good time with the F, for sure!

Intake wise, many have gone with just an intake tube (Joe Z, Apexi, HPS) and a drop in air filter (Tom's, AFE). Because RR Racing has a newer version that essentially mates to the aforementioned intake tubes, it should yield even more HP, coupled with the its tune, headers, and exhaust. Just for reference, I dyno'd 424HP, 398TQ with my RR Racing tune, PPE headers, Joe Z intake with AFE filter, and Joe Z exhaust. I haven't pulled the trigger on the RR Racing intake combination yet.

As for tires, I know some members have noted traction issues even with 275 tires following the tune. You're better off sticking to your 285 or even going up to 295 tires, presuming the wheel specs are within reason. A good number have gone with Michelin PSS, Bridgestone S04 Pole Position, and the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08.

Best of luck and enjoy your F!

Last edited by bnizzle87; 06-28-16 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-28-16, 10:39 AM
512ISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
First off, welcome to the F family and Club Lexus! You're definitely going to have a good time with the F, for sure!

Intake wise, many have gone with just an intake tube (Joe Z, Apexi, HPS) and a drop in air filter (Tom's, AFE). Because RR Racing has a newer version that essentially mates to the aforementioned intake tubes, it should yield even more HP, coupled with the its tune, headers, and exhaust. Just for reference, I dyno'd 424HP, 398TQ with my RR Racing tune, PPE headers, Joe Z intake with AFE filter, and Joe Z exhaust. I haven't pulled the trigger on the RR Racing intake combination yet.

As for tires, I know some members have noted traction issues even with 275 tires following the tune. You're better off sticking to your 285 or even going up to 295 tires, presuming the wheel specs are within reason. A good number have gone with Michelin PSS, Bridgestone S04 Pole Position, and the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08.

Best of luck and enjoy your F!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm excited about the cars potential. Would you say a combo like the hps elbow and afe drop in (roughly $250) is worth the money compared to just putting the stock airbox back on and paying $30 for a new filter from Lexus?
Old 06-28-16, 11:10 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It depends on what you're after. The intake will help dress up the engine bay some, but it's not a huge increase in power. Honestly, if you don't like the current intake, it can't hurt to just put the OEM back on. If you're planning on doing the RR Racing intake combo, then certainly I wouldn't advise getting the AFE drop in filter. I don't believe there was any conclusive evidence to support that the OEM filter/intake robbed HP/Tq, but some just want a splash of color or just a different look altogether. But with the majority, the moment you put on an aftermarket intake, it'll just unleash a snowball effect to where you'll want to mod more. Exhaust, headers, suspension, wheels, body kits.
Old 06-28-16, 11:16 AM
512ISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
It depends on what you're after. The intake will help dress up the engine bay some, but it's not a huge increase in power. Honestly, if you don't like the current intake, it can't hurt to just put the OEM back on. If you're planning on doing the RR Racing intake combo, then certainly I wouldn't advise getting the AFE drop in filter. I don't believe there was any conclusive evidence to support that the OEM filter/intake robbed HP/Tq, but some just want a splash of color or just a different look altogether. But with the majority, the moment you put on an aftermarket intake, it'll just unleash a snowball effect to where you'll want to mod more. Exhaust, headers, suspension, wheels, body kits.
My build plan for now is headers and tune. I already have a custom dual exhaust from the cats back (no resonator or muffler). With that in mind I'll probably just buy an oe filter for now cause I may buy the rr package with headers, intake, and tune down the road.
Old 06-28-16, 11:18 AM
512ISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by RNISF
Buy the hps and afe filter combo. For tires I'm running 275/30 pirelli p zero nero gt and I get no wheel spin at all. Love them.
No wheel spin even with traction control completely off in sport mode launching off a dig?
Old 06-28-16, 12:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I have the Takeda intake - I've had it for over six years now. I was the first ISF owner on this site to install it. I luv'd it then and luv it now. I just replaced the filter a couple of weeks ago. It's been improved. It now uses an oiled AFE gauze filter and the top is not flat anymore, but contains an inverted cone filtering media area.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails New to ISF Questions!!-24-91060_400.jpg  
Old 06-28-16, 04:26 PM
512ISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by flowrider
I have the Takeda intake - I've had it for over six years now. I was the first ISF owner on this site to install it. I luv'd it then and luv it now. I just replaced the filter a couple of weeks ago. It's been improved. It now uses an oiled AFE gauze filter and the top is not flat anymore, but contains an inverted cone filtering media area.

Lou
Did you notice any difference with the new filter?
Old 06-28-16, 06:54 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Not really, but if there is any difference I'm sure it would be very subtle.

Lou
Old 06-28-16, 08:51 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i noticed a difference when i installed the AFE dry filter and RR-Racing titanium intake. I would recommend the AOS from RR-Racing and USRS as well.