IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: Keep or remove my vinyl wrap?
Keep it
36.36%
Remove it
63.64%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Remove or keep my vinyl wrap?

Old 06-28-16, 08:15 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remove or keep my vinyl wrap?

Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time deciding to keep or remove my 3M Black Rose Vinyl Wrap. It brings a different colour to the car and looks clean even when dirty. It was installed around April 2015 so I had it a little over one year. Underneath is Ultrasonic Blue. And of course, I purchased the ISF because it's USB.

Here is a recent video I did to show case the wrap

Here are some pros and cons about the vinyl wrap

Pros
- Black Rose is an unique colour and not everyone has it
- Looks clean when dirty
- Front bumper was repainted and the wrap has been pulling the paint off
- Also the rear fenders were rolled and paint cracked off
- Don't have to worry about keeping my paint perfect, meaning I don't have to polish and I won't mind bird bombs sitting for longer.
- Wrap is also covering stone chips on the hood and two keep scratches on the trunk when body shop installed my trunk spoiler

Cons
- The vinyl material is not perfect, it has an orange peel look and thermal lines from installation
- Some corners are lifting around the trunk and rear bumper
- Front bumper was done in three pieces but the imperfection is noticeable. The corners around the headlight and fog light are also lifting
- I miss the look of a clean USB ISF

What do you guys think?

Zel
Old 06-28-16, 08:54 AM
bkuhl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, 3M vinyl wraps should be warrantied. so if it's pealing or blemished from install, repair/re-wrap should be free if you are maintaining it properly.
Old 06-28-16, 09:03 AM
STANC36
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd remove the wrap, I don't know how salty your roads are during winter, but the cracked paint would worry me.
The wrap won't prevent it from rusting.
Let a shop clean up your paint and drive it USB until it bores you, then wrap it again.
The black rose is awesome, but it would bother me when it's not perfect on a car like the ISF.
Old 06-28-16, 10:31 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I honestly think you should keep it. It's unique, still stunning, and has a good amount of protection. Just because there are little areas where there are imperfections, it shouldn't mean it should be lifted entirely. But if it really bothers you, you still have that beautiful USB underneath, so it's not going to be too bad of a change at all. I do like that color though.
Old 06-28-16, 11:12 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep it, like stated above - the color is unique. Those small flaws aren't too noticeable, or just rewrap the side mirrors?
Old 06-28-16, 11:18 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Remove it. Paint quality and shine better than any wraps in my opinion
Old 06-28-16, 12:12 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I really like the way wraps look on most cars going down the road. However, i hate the way it looks whenever the doors, trunk or hood is open and you can see the original color. To me it looks like a cheap paint job where the painter was to lazy to paint the door jams. No offense but in your case, i think it looks horible because the blue pops so much against the dark red. If it were me, i would take it off, fix the dents, chips, paint, etc. And tben roll in a super clean USB ISF.
Old 06-28-16, 12:36 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STANC36
I'd remove the wrap, I don't know how salty your roads are during winter, but the cracked paint would worry me.
The wrap won't prevent it from rusting.
Let a shop clean up your paint and drive it USB until it bores you, then wrap it again.
The black rose is awesome, but it would bother me when it's not perfect on a car like the ISF.
Thanks for the feedback! I used touch up paint prior to having the section wrapped. Here's me hoping it should be fine. So far one winter went by and no rust yet *knock on wood*

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I honestly think you should keep it. It's unique, still stunning, and has a good amount of protection. Just because there are little areas where there are imperfections, it shouldn't mean it should be lifted entirely. But if it really bothers you, you still have that beautiful USB underneath, so it's not going to be too bad of a change at all. I do like that color though.
Thanks bnizzle87! You know, after seeing a lot of USB on IG, I just felt a change out of my comfort zone would be nice

Originally Posted by Phamkq
Keep it, like stated above - the color is unique. Those small flaws aren't too noticeable, or just rewrap the side mirrors?
The side mirrors were rewrapped by my installer the next day.

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
Remove it. Paint quality and shine better than any wraps in my opinion
I absolutely agree with you. I do detailing and paint correction. Vinyl cannot compare to paint. I do feel better having the vinyl as an extra layer of protection from the elements.

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
I really like the way wraps look on most cars going down the road. However, i hate the way it looks whenever the doors, trunk or hood is open and you can see the original color. To me it looks like a cheap paint job where the painter was to lazy to paint the door jams. No offense but in your case, i think it looks horible because the blue pops so much against the dark red. If it were me, i would take it off, fix the dents, chips, paint, etc. And tben roll in a super clean USB ISF.
No offense taken at all. Thanks for your feedback! I had the bumper repainted prior to the wrap. Its just disheartening to do pay for it again if I remove the wrap
Old 06-28-16, 12:43 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I'd keep it, I am actually looking to wrap my Obsidian in the near future. I only bought the car because I got it for a steal, I hate the maintenance and upkeep of black paint.

Local shop we have charges an extra 1k for jambs, but can be done FYI semnosNSX
Old 06-28-16, 12:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
I had the bumper repainted prior to the wrap. Its just disheartening to do pay for it again if I remove the wrap
Any automotive repaint needs to fully cure. Unless the shop you used had a heat lamp booth (few do) it takes a good month for this process to complete. I had my front bumper repainted because of road rash and waited six weeks before I had my 3M bra applied.

Lou
Old 06-28-16, 01:07 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flowrider
Any automotive repaint needs to fully cure. Unless the shop you used had a heat lamp booth (few do) it takes a good month for this process to complete. I had my front bumper repainted because of road rash and waited six weeks before I had my 3M bra applied.

Lou
Hey Lou, it was repainted and left to cure for 3 months before I had the bumper wrapped.

Unfortunately for my trunk spoiler the paint is also being pulled off
Old 06-28-16, 01:12 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say, keep the wrap(but only because of the issues you have).
I am not the biggest fan of wrap, since they all have that finished look of orange peel.
The shop that wrapped your car did not properly heat the corners where it is now lifting. I would take it back and have them redo it, because that is the fault of the installer and not the vinyl. They should cover workmanship under warranty, if not, tell them you will write a review on yelp and the forums talking about your issues. I don't think any shop wants to be put on blast these days, particularly vinyl wrap shops.

Are you trying to cut corners with your ISF? Lifted vinyl and thermal lines? Cracked fender lips from rolling? Sounds like you been taking your ISF to some really shotty shops to save a couple bucks.
Old 06-28-16, 01:13 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I like the color! I say keep it for a while, never seen that color wrap before on a ISF
Old 06-28-16, 02:13 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I like the color! I say keep it for a while, never seen that color wrap before on a ISF
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
I'd say, keep the wrap(but only because of the issues you have).
I am not the biggest fan of wrap, since they all have that finished look of orange peel.
The shop that wrapped your car did not properly heat the corners where it is now lifting. I would take it back and have them redo it, because that is the fault of the installer and not the vinyl. They should cover workmanship under warranty, if not, tell them you will write a review on yelp and the forums talking about your issues. I don't think any shop wants to be put on blast these days, particularly vinyl wrap shops.

Are you trying to cut corners with your ISF? Lifted vinyl and thermal lines? Cracked fender lips from rolling? Sounds like you been taking your ISF to some really shotty shops to save a couple bucks.
Hey Fsport2UR, I definitely did not tried to cut corners with my ISF. I went to reputable shops and did my research beforehand. Unfortunately the results did not reflect. Most disappointing was my fender rolling. I also had my badges painted by the body shop instead of using plasti-dip.

One thing I did not mentioned is my installer will be redoing the trunk section around mid-July. I'm thinking to ask him to remove the vinyl completely instead of addressing the trunk.

Thanks for your feedback too!
Old 06-28-16, 02:29 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Never understood the purpose of wraps.
People shuffling through colors remind me of the girl with the hair-color-changing identity disorder in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."
USB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remove or keep my vinyl wrap?