IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How did your car feel after ELF campaign?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 08:24 PM
YotaLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did your car feel after ELF campaign?

When asked by my SA if I wanted them to do the ELF campaign while the F was in for service, I politely declined doing it this weekend.

Would you have guessed they did it anyways? Against my request.

The tech destroyed the harness protector and did the shotty zip tie and tape fix.

I'll put some pictures up later, I also caught this technician on dash cam calling his brother. He was beating and reving the car asking if he could hear it over speaker phone. "I'm driving an ISF" to continue reving it some more. After being told by my SA "they can't test drive the car because of inner tire wear."

Anyways I'm getting away from the point, my car doesn't feel right. It seems to be making noises I've never heard it make during WOT. It also feels and sounds as if the secondary intake is stuck open.
Is this normal after ecu reset? I've put 300+ miles on it this weekend trying to shake it off. Still feels different to me. I was told the tech stayed after work Friday to finish the job... Meaning he just wanted to hurry up and finish in my book. Is there anything the tech could have fudged? No CELs or anything yet.

I'll close it with this; the tech said the F was boring... Just to rev it some more and say he wishes he could take it home for the weekend. Mind blowing, I used to think highly of Lexus service departments.
Old 06-26-16, 08:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

my car feels fine, idles smoother ( in my mind ). I am letting it sit for a few days . Will check the coolant level when I get home to make sure its full . Also want to see how the tranny shifts after its sits for days and is very cold.
Old 06-26-16, 08:57 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Crazy to see how many threads pop up here about service techs test driving & revving our cars whenever a ISF comes in. This is at least my 5th time reading about something like this here
Old 06-26-16, 09:42 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

In some states, including our beloved California, owners cannot pay for their registration without having first remedied the ELF. I, too, was hesitant on having the work done, but the drive afterwards was just as smooth and normal as prior to being serviced.

It might be your having seen the footage and having a mindset that the car was mishandled. In fact, it was. No owner should have to see or hear such instances while having their vehicles serviced. But keep driving the car your way. And above all else, find another service department that you are more comfortable. That's the only real advice I can offer because it took me awhile to find Service Advisors and Master Techs that 1) are knowledgeable of the work needed to complete, and 2) respect others property. This will put you at ease if you ever need to have more service done to the vehicle, and you'll have peace of mind about it.

I wish things like this didn't have to happen, but unfortunately it just reiterates the lack of trust when taking your car in for service. And before people chime in about how "it's just a car", this is just my personal opinion and advice. I value my property, as with many members, and it's not just a car to me.
Old 06-26-16, 09:49 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your Lexus dealership. These stories make me extra cautious when bringing my F in for work anywhere.

My Lexus SA owns an F that's modded. He mentioned the harness protector issue when I brought the car in for the recall, and advised that the service would take 2 - 3 days if it needed to be replaced. As my car's a 2008 with it's original water pump, he further advised that the technician (a Master Tech who's done many of these) would perform the service along with a thorough check for evidence of coolant leaks.

After some cookies and a couple of lattes (after all, this is Seattle), they sent me on my way in a CT200h loaner.

I got my car back the the next day. The plastic harness protector was intact, no bolt heads were rounded off, and the air/oil seperator & Joe Z intake were properly reinstalled. The SA advised that no leaks were discovered, then, after another latte, he brought the car around and off I went.

The car runs as good as ever, and I couldn't be happier with the service I received.

Last edited by tas02; 06-26-16 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-27-16, 05:20 AM
YotaLex
Driver

It might be your having seen the footage and having a mindset that the car was mishandled. In fact, it was.
Maybe I'm trying to feel and hear things. But it also made my stomach do back flips when I saw I recognized the Tech.... He ruined our 97 Lincoln Continental, they had to fly a tech out to repair the recall work he botched on it.

Its not just a car... It's my baby! Lol I care more about my cars than some family members. This hurt my heart, as I'm always bragging about the customer service treatment we receive under the Lexus brand.

Crazy to see how many threads pop up here about service techs test driving & revving our cars whenever a ISF comes in.
These stories make me extra cautious when bringing my F in for work anywhere.
Get yourselves a dash cam if you don't have one. We aren't safe out here. I usually take my car to Toyota because my buddy is a SA there... They roll out red carpets when I pull up in the F. It is never mishandled or mistreated. I just wasn't confident in Toyo doing my Trans service. So I took it to the almighty Lexus dealer, spent $150 more and this is what I got lol I really wonder if they even did the ATF.

Last edited by YotaLex; 06-27-16 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-27-16, 07:04 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Ridiculous, I bought my car with the recall done so I can't say I noticed a difference but I have no power issues. My car pulls like crazy.

You should ask to sit down with the GM (or as high as you can go) and show them the footage, and probably report it to Lexus corporate. That guy should be fired or at least put on leave, that is beyond inappropriate for a tech you trust with such an investment.

I'm thinking about getting a dash cam for my next service, I always ask them not to drive it and check the mileage before / after but it would be a nice peace of mind. Especially after enough of these threads.

Apologies in advance for the novel I'm going to write, but I hope it helps you

Regarding the harness protected. IF they refuse to help you, give them a chance first, Make the biggest deal / stink about it that you possibly can. I trashed the dealer that did it to me on Yelp and Google + after they refused to help me and eventually got a hold of the GM who, after several emails and me insisting, agreed to pay PART of it. Long story short:

-When car was in AZ they messed up the harness during the recall, and did shotty work to hide it
-I bought the car / bought it to CA
-I noticed the problem, called them, they again refused
-Told service manager here in CA, he was horrified a dealer would do that (he was aware of the frequent breaking during this specific recall) and offered to cover labor on the spot if I covered parts (~$300 labor + <$100 in parts)
-Great first step, but I shouldn't pay out of pocket so I chose to pursue AZ dealer paying up
-Dealer in AZ still refused to cover parts
-I explained this all on Yelp / G+ along with the lowest possible rating (again, I wrote a novel)
-Got contacted by customer service rep who had GM email me
-Took over a dozen emails and teeth pulling, even when my dealer offered to cover the expensive labor part, to get GM to pay for the plastic parts
-Eventually got them to agree, it was repaired 0 cost to me at my next oil change
-After all the back and forth my blood pressure eventually returned to normal and it was worth the headache to hold them accountable and keep my cost at $0

Long read, I know, but the point is if they aren't willing to do the right thing, make them do the right thing with all of the negative publicity you can. Mine was actually wrapped in duct tape that had melted since it sits on top of the block. Can't believe people like that are allowed to carry jobs.
Oh, and second point is stay the hell away from Lexus of Chandler in AZ.

BEFORE
Name:  1559F0AF-2523-4597-946E-820D1DCD67E2_zpszrm3hieq.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  265.8 KB

AFTER
Name:  53D283B5-E90E-4949-87B9-89B84752126C_zps30hd0lsr.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  451.2 KB
Old 06-27-16, 12:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Mine felt no different. Had the same issue as lolfunxion, and the dealer said they would order the part and replace it. Three months, no call. I bought the part myself and installed it myself. It would just be another opportunity for someone I don't know to drive my car in a way I would not appreciate. This dealership owes me nothing as I never have any dealer service my car, so the only work they get from me is warranty work. I can easily afford the part for all the money I have saved on labor, despite my annual subscription to TIS.

So, short and sweet - no, my car feels exactly the same after the recall work.
Old 06-27-16, 02:10 PM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car felt no different after I got the recall done. I ended up getting a new radiator out of it.
Old 06-27-16, 02:27 PM
ISFHEMS
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by YotaLex
When asked by my SA if I wanted them to do the ELF campaign while the F was in for service, I politely declined doing it this weekend.

Would you have guessed they did it anyways? Against my request.

The tech destroyed the harness protector and did the shotty zip tie and tape fix.

I'll put some pictures up later, I also caught this technician on dash cam calling his brother. He was beating and reving the car asking if he could hear it over speaker phone. "I'm driving an ISF" to continue reving it some more. After being told by my SA "they can't test drive the car because of inner tire wear."

Anyways I'm getting away from the point, my car doesn't feel right. It seems to be making noises I've never heard it make during WOT. It also feels and sounds as if the secondary intake is stuck open.
Is this normal after ecu reset? I've put 300+ miles on it this weekend trying to shake it off. Still feels different to me. I was told the tech stayed after work Friday to finish the job... Meaning he just wanted to hurry up and finish in my book. Is there anything the tech could have fudged? No CELs or anything yet.

I'll close it with this; the tech said the F was boring... Just to rev it some more and say he wishes he could take it home for the weekend. Mind blowing, I used to think highly of Lexus service departments.
Sorry to hear this!

What dealership did you go to?
Old 06-27-16, 06:33 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't feel a difference either. I guess the F has too much power to even notice, lol.
Old 06-28-16, 06:26 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Mine feels as good as it did prior to the work. I just have the usual complaints on sloppy work. It wasn't as bad as some, but I did have a busted harness, spilled coolant that they didn't bother cleaning up, and some missing bolts under the front bumper cover.
Old 06-28-16, 12:27 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Performance is same as before, all is well here (after a fight with the dealership over my busted-*** wire harness protector for which I received a new one for free & installed it myself).
Old 06-28-16, 01:12 PM
DaOne54
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting the ELF recall done wont affect performance AT ALL.
All they do is replace the fuel pressure sensor gasket, and re-torque it using the special tool that lexus provides the dealership with to properly torque the sensor in order to prevent a fuel leak.
It doesnt change anything about the vehicle performance in no way shape or form. literally just prevents the fuel pressure sensor from a potential leak.
Old 06-28-16, 05:05 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

car felt the same. they also broke my harness, burned through a 1/4 tank of gas, dropped my fuel avg from about 15 to 10 in the half day they had it. dealer said, "not doing anything about it" even though they admitted to breaking the harness. contacted corporate and they sent me a $200 credit to use at any lexus dealer and an apology.

Quick Reply: How did your car feel after ELF campaign?