IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 04:29 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire recommendations

Thought I saw a master tire thread, but I'm missing it on search. If there is one, don't kill me.

OEM wheels. General G-MAX tires on currently. Before the summer is over I'm most likely going to be needing new tires. I've grown to enjoy Bridgestone Potenza tires before, but I've never owned a RWD vehicle besides an old truck. These G-MAX tires are SO NOISY! What's the usual go to everyone has for tires for "aggressive" street driving? I'm a spirited driver and tend to usually stay above the speed limit so traction is a must, but I'd also like to reduce the noise some if possible. Should I consider increasing the width of the rear tires as well?

PS: this is an all seasons vehicle so it will be seeing winter weather
Old 06-16-16, 05:04 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

If you want to have your cake (performance) and eat it too (year round), your best bet is a dedicated set of winter wheels. Then you can run a max performance summer tire for 8-9 months out of the year, and not worry about sliding into a ditch all winter.

The nice sticky summer tires turn into hockey pucks in sub-freezing temps. They're manageable if you're easy on the gas pedal, but they lack any decent grip in the cold.

All season tires are generally just OK in both summer and winter driving.. They're a compromise IMO. For some that's fine. However, it sounds like you enjoy driving your car like it was meant to be driven

With that said, what are you willing to spend and/or sacrifice to enjoy the IS-F year round? Once that's established, I'm sure the F troop can unload all kinds of tire recommendations on you

-Mike
Old 06-16-16, 05:33 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikersoft
If you want to have your cake (performance) and eat it too (year round), your best bet is a dedicated set of winter wheels. Then you can run a max performance summer tire for 8-9 months out of the year, and not worry about sliding into a ditch all winter.

The nice sticky summer tires turn into hockey pucks in sub-freezing temps. They're manageable if you're easy on the gas pedal, but they lack any decent grip in the cold.

All season tires are generally just OK in both summer and winter driving.. They're a compromise IMO. For some that's fine. However, it sounds like you enjoy driving your car like it was meant to be driven

With that said, what are you willing to spend and/or sacrifice to enjoy the IS-F year round? Once that's established, I'm sure the F troop can unload all kinds of tire recommendations on you

-Mike
Well I have spend $250+ per tire before so I'm comfortable with spending a little bit extra to get my money's worth, plus I'll feel better knowing I have a product that makes things a bit safer. I have considered a separate set for winter, but my god the OEM wheels are $$$$$
Old 06-16-16, 06:07 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 107 Posts

agreed with Mike above.
summers: re11, re71r, rs3, starspecs, ad08r, r888, supersports
winter: newest iteration of blizzaks
I have michelin x-ice on my Evo. They are excellent, but I don't know if they're sold as widespread as Blizzaks.

Good luck!
p.s. the r888s (and I'm sure r-compound tires in general) are VERY loud @ 40mph+.
Old 06-16-16, 06:59 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

What kind of lifespan am I looking at for the summers you suggested? I do drive a lot. Work is 21 miles each way, 4-5 days a week depending on my schedule. Plus whatever weekend driving I do.
Old 06-16-16, 07:27 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdave86
What kind of lifespan am I looking at for the summers you suggested? I do drive a lot. Work is 21 miles each way, 4-5 days a week depending on my schedule. Plus whatever weekend driving I do.
Just get the Michelin Pilot Super Sports then. Good wet traction, good treadwear, and they should last a while. Michelin tires have a treadwear warranty (though it's halved for rear tires of a different size), too.

I was considering S-04 Pole Positions as a cheaper alternative as well.
Old 06-16-16, 07:45 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Just get the Michelin Pilot Super Sports then. Good wet traction, good treadwear, and they should last a while. Michelin tires have a treadwear warranty (though it's halved for rear tires of a different size), too.

I was considering S-04 Pole Positions as a cheaper alternative as well.
Should I consider a slightly wider tire for the rear than factory? I've read where people have done that to increase the footprint for traction
Old 06-16-16, 07:47 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Should I consider a slightly wider tire for the rear than factory? I've read where people have done that to increase the footprint for traction
Yes, I would consider wider tires all around for summer. For winter I recommend 225/45/18 all around mounted to a suitable 18" wheel; Evo factory BBS wheels look nice and have the appropriate sizing.
Old 06-16-16, 09:31 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Yes and No. Yes if you also increase the width in the fronts in conjunction with the rears and No if you only increase the width in back. You don't specify the year of your F, so I don't know if you have the wider 2012+ wheels. Let us know.

When you say a winter vehicle, are you planning on dedicated winter tires?

Lou
Old 06-16-16, 10:23 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 170 Likes on 103 Posts

If you don't go with a dedicated summer/winter setup (which I ran for many years and miss) and occasionally get snow, then my recommendation for all seasons is either Michelin AS3+ or Continental DWS06. The Contis have the edge in wet traction and the Michelins have the edge with dry traction.
If light snow is not an issue, then I agree with the previous recommendations (PSS, etc.)
and I am also upsized (245F, 275R)
Old 06-16-16, 10:52 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexicon72
and I am also upsized (245F, 275R)
Lately, I've been considering 245/35 F and 285/30 R. Same ratio of tread front to rear as 225/40 F 255/35 R.

Last edited by SubOrbital; 06-16-16 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 11:39 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flowrider
Yes and No. Yes if you also increase the width in the fronts in conjunction with the rears and No if you only increase the width in back. You don't specify the year of your F, so I don't know if you have the wider 2012+ wheels. Let us know.

When you say a winter vehicle, are you planning on dedicated winter tires?

Lou
Woops. I have an 08.

The thought had occurred to me to have dedicated winter tires, because the car will be driven year round.
Old 06-16-16, 11:44 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Tell us your plans.

Lou
Old 06-16-16, 11:50 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Well, our winter weather is sporadic, sometimes we get nothing, sometimes we get dumped on. So I'm thinking the best route to go would be to get a dedicated set of winter tires.
Old 06-16-16, 12:05 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

OK, that would mean dedicated winter wheels as well. If that is the case I would recommend Bridgestone S-04 - 245/35/19 in Front and 285/30/19 in back. When I had stock wheels I ran that combination.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-position.html

These worked well for me, but one forum member tried the combination and hated it.

Most members who upsize go for Michelin PSS 245/35/19 Front and 275/30/19 rear.

Both the above are Max Performance Summer Only tires and should never be used as the temps approach freezing.

For a winter tire (I have no recent experience with winter tires) I would go with:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Blizzak+LM-32

215/45/18 in Front and 255/40/18 in Back.

Lou

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations