IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Omg! Why?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 08:48 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Omg! Why?!?!?!?!

I was using a squeegee at the gas station on my windshield and didn't realize til it was too late that I had the squeegee at an angle. I now have some light scratches right in the middle. Kill me now.

Is there a way to buff of sand them out? At least make them less noticeable?!
Old 06-12-16, 08:55 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdave86

I was using a squeegee at the gas station on my windshield and didn't realize til it was too late that I had the squeegee at an angle. I now have some light scratches right in the middle. Kill me now.

Is there a way to buff of sand them out? At least make them less noticeable?!
yea if you have an orbital DA polisher its a piece of cake .. would take all of 20 minutes if that
Old 06-13-16, 02:46 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

You scratched a windshield with a rubber squeegee?? How is that even possible? Is it rubber streaks?
Old 06-13-16, 06:07 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
You scratched a windshield with a rubber squeegee?? How is that even possible? Is it rubber streaks?
^This.

In order to produce scratches, you must have a harder material than the surface you are trying (or not trying) to scratch. A rubber squeegee would not scratch the glass. It is possible that there was something on the squeegee that caused damage, though it seems unlikely if it was soaking in water as they usually are.

Can you post pictures of the damage?

Are you sure it is a scratch and not simply residue/streaking/smearing caused by something on the squeegee? See if you can feel it with your hand or fingernail... can you determine if it is on top of the glass (surface contamination) or within the glass (scratch)?

Above surface contamination will be easy to remove as glass is quite chemical resistant so you can use an appropriate solvent to remove the substance.

If it is a scratch, it can likely be improved with machine polishing as previously mentioned, however glass is very hard relative to automotive paint, so even the finest of scratches in glass can be a real challenge to remove.

Post some pics and help us to help you

-Zach
Old 06-13-16, 06:22 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Maybe he was wiping bugd offthe front bumper with the squeegee and scratched the bumper?! Can't imaging a squeegee damaging a windshield....

V.
Old 06-13-16, 08:12 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

I was using the foam side putting soap on the windshield and the foam was apparently very worn so the metal piece that the foam is mounted to went through the foam on the edge, was trying to get some bug guts off. The scratches were not there before, I know it came from this because I could see it immediately after it happened. I can't take a picture of it at the moment because I just had a procedure on my back about 45 mins ago.

I tried using regular cleaners to get it off, I can feel the scratch with a razor blade, but not really with my finger.

Tried some rubbing compound and that reduced it a bit, but it's still there.

I don't have an orbital buffer but was planning on getting one so I guess this is a good time to get one, lol
Old 06-13-16, 10:45 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the white sos pad. Its the less gritty of them all. Learned this from a master tech. After a while you get rock chips that are small on your front windshield and you will eventually get a hazing from all the dirt that sits in there that doesn't come out with a wash. Take the white and only white sos pad to the windshield. ITs like wet sanding at 1000 grit. Then you some wax to polish windshield. This should get most of it. Plus wax will repel rain like rain-x.

I did this to my is300 a year ago and made a huge difference.
Old 06-13-16, 01:29 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
I use the white sos pad. Its the less gritty of them all. Learned this from a master tech. After a while you get rock chips that are small on your front windshield and you will eventually get a hazing from all the dirt that sits in there that doesn't come out with a wash. Take the white and only white sos pad to the windshield. ITs like wet sanding at 1000 grit. Then you some wax to polish windshield. This should get most of it. Plus wax will repel rain like rain-x.

I did this to my is300 a year ago and made a huge difference.
Should I use water or anything along with the SOS pad?
Old 06-13-16, 03:44 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

damn rookie lolz
Old 06-13-16, 05:03 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISF4life
damn rookie lolz
GEE THANKS!
Old 06-15-16, 11:11 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

http://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html

There are many glass polishing kits out there.

I would wash and claybar the windshield first before applying anything onto to it. Also do that inside a nice cool garage, not in direct sunlight.

Finally, pickup a California jelly blade and keep one in your trunk so you don't have to use the crap in the gas station. I often see some people use it on the paint.
Old 06-15-16, 11:12 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
damn rookie lolz

No need to draw salt on the wounds, we were all rookies at some point.
Old 06-15-16, 12:20 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
http://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html

There are many glass polishing kits out there.

I would wash and claybar the windshield first before applying anything onto to it. Also do that inside a nice cool garage, not in direct sunlight.

Finally, pickup a California jelly blade and keep one in your trunk so you don't have to use the crap in the gas station. I often see some people use it on the paint.
Thanks I'll probably get that in case I decide to be a junior again. I've seen people use the squeegees to wash their whole car. so I didn't go that far at least. I should have gotten a jelly blade a long time ago.
Old 06-15-16, 02:51 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I would use water and some regular car was soap. Start in a small area first to make sure you dont damage anymore but it shouldnt. Also clay bar might help but I figure its only going to do so much. Get a little gritty and get down into that window. My is300 has 234k miles on it all highway. So its got soe serious road wear from rocks, bugs and everyday dirt. It worked wonders for me.

Remember we all have to crawl before we can walk.
Old 06-15-16, 06:06 PM
5280ISF
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been meaning to buy some of this, may be worth a try if you have a PC dual action or buffer....sounds like it could also be used with a felt polishing wheel that could be attached to a drill.

Gordon Glass Cerium Oxide - 1Lb https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R69W9A..._IRFyxb3AHDWGG

They also sell a smaller 8oz package that is likely better suited for the job at hand. I have also use paint polish (Optimum or Menzerrnas) on windshields in the past for minor sratches and hazing from windshield blades with good results.

Last edited by 5280ISF; 06-15-16 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Omg! Why?!?!?!?!