IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Suspension upgrade from DGR to ?

Old 06-08-16, 01:34 PM
Max16
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Totally overkill for a street application, and light track duty.

The real question is, do you want something inexpensive, or do you want something that works? If you want to separate the best from the others, ask for an individual shock dyno for each of the shocks you are receiving and see just how closely matched they are. That has more to do with ride than anything. I'd take well matched cheap shocks. I wouldn't accept poorly matched expensive shocks.
Like everyone, the best bang for the bucks....
You're talking from experience that BC will do these shock dynos? Or because they will not?
Old 06-09-16, 12:44 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

To summarize but not be too wordy and since we have the most diverse brand testing and data:

KW V3: Twin tube, 3-path dual bleed undersprung for the IS-F
- Even admitted by KW the application is intended for a street car that has only upgraded its shocks. Nothing else.
-Narrow ride height range to stay in lifetime warranty
-low speed divorced compression and rebound adjustment.
-spring and helper ride height adjustment (preload)
- no hats provided, stock hats still used. This is a downer because the rear hat cuts half the shock misalignment.
-can still be retrofitted with swift springs but at a full spring cost ($400ish).
-rubber lower bushings, factory isolators used on top.
-no adjustment extensions available and the compression adjustment is damn near impossible on car, but can be done.

BC BR: ( we pioneered this application in early 2009)
- Best bang for buck revalved BR series Monotube damper.
-Monotube damper still features high and low speed bleed just not as many shims as the high end.
-Swift spring option reduces weight and increased linearity of spring but the short stoke of the F. (we only charge 1295)
-Combined with our Essential kit the rear bumpsteer is much more subtle and the car has a lot more grip.
-a huge upgrade in comfort over the factory 2008-2010 suspension. Depending on mods its an upgrade to factory suspension in later models as well.
-1 yr warranty though we have not seen many issues with these and hundreds sold. Shock cartridges replaced as a whole for $120 per down the road.
-Complete shock replacement including upper hats.
-poly bushings
-BC shock oil which has a lower index that higher end shocks but still great for street applications.
-115 PSI nitrogen charge
--adjustment extensions included
-can provide shock dynos later this year.

BC ER/ZR: 2-way 3-way
-Monotube dual bleed shim and needle with aux bleed needle in remote res. High and low in the cause of the ZR.
-Available now, though untested on the F. We run these on our IS300 drift car and some of our Pro Level Formula Drift vehicles and they are pretty amazing for the price point.
-compression is a second tier adjustment meaning standard adjuster still adjusts compression and rebound in low speed. Secondary bleeder in the reservoir acts to augment compression damping.
-1850 MAP, $2349 with Swift for ER
-ZR adds 850
-1 yr warranty
-Complete shock replacement including upper hats.
-poly bushings
-BC shock oil which has a lower index that higher end shocks but still great for street applications.
-115 PSI nitrogen charge
--adjustment extensions included for rebound
-can provide shock dynos later this year.

FIGS Ohlins RT ( We pioneered the IS-F application for these as well in 2011/12)
-Monotube Dual bleed shim and needle plus gas bleed. Single adjustable.
-Revalved in the USA to our specs using the highest quality shims as Ohlins USA.
-Each damper dyno tested.
-Salt spray rated body and seals for road environmental use.
-2 yr warranty, completely rebuildable after that.
-Complete shock replacement including upper hats with rubber bushings.
-150psi nitrogen charge. Ohlins fluids and internals.
-adjustment extensions optional

FIGS Penske 7500 ( We pioneered the IS-F application for these as well in 2010/11)
-Monotube Dual bleed shim and needle plus gas bleed. Double adjustable.
-Inline reservoir
-Revalved in the USA to our specs.
-Swift Primary and helper springs with thrust sheets. Preload ride height adjustable.
-FIGS uses all Penske retainers and oversized lower body caps for more bolt support vs standard body caps used by competition. This means we have more support and misalignment with a full 3/4" eye lower pillow ball vs an M14.
-Aluminum hard anodized body but no boots provided and seals are intended to be serviced each year.
-FIGS exclusive 2 yr warranty, and 1 yr rebuild inspection completely rebuildable after that. Typically a $650 service ad suggested by Penske yearly.
-Requires nitrogen maintenance on 6 month intervals, high pressure 230 PSI nitrogen charge.
-Penske/ Maxima Premium Shock Fluids and Penske internals with custom machined post mounts.
-Complete shock replacement including upper hats with spherical bearings on both mounts.
-no remote adjustment means peeling back liners if needed or ditching the liners like we did.

FIGS Penske 8760 ( We pioneered the IS-F application for these in 2011) Custom Competition Race setup
-Monotube Dual bleed shim and needle plus gas bleed. Triple adjustable.
-Remote reservoir
-Revalved in the USA to our specs.
-Swift Primary and helper springs with thrust sheets. Preload ride height adjustable.
-FIGS uses all Penske retainers and body hardware.
-Custom MEGA Rear LCA included with purchase to support lower body cap.
-Aluminum hard anodized body but no boots provided and seals are intended to be serviced each year.
-FIGS exclusive 2 yr warranty, and 1 yr rebuild inspection completely rebuildable after that. Typically a $650 service ad suggested by Penske yearly.
-Requires nitrogen maintenance on 6 month intervals, high pressure 230 PSI nitrogen charge.
-Penske/ Maxima Premium Shock Fluids and Penske internals with custom machined post mounts.
-Complete shock replacement including upper hats with spherical bearings on both mounts.
-remote res requires mounting

In summary we always try to put the best fit with the customer and the most cost effective route is usually a combination of our suspension components that make the suspension geometry act correctly with the given spring rates. Some customer tuning is also required which we support and offer advice as part of the purchase.

Thanks, Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Last edited by FIGS; 06-09-16 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-09-16, 05:50 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

When you say revalved, does that mean that the BC suspension people order from you guys are different than the off the shelf item?

Not going to lie you guys are selling the BC's pretty well. If they are in fact as good as people say with the Swifts I may actually be willing to give them a try again when I am ready to switch to coilovers.
Old 06-09-16, 06:32 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I believe when he says revalved, he means specifically for the ISF and the type of spring selected. I do not think it it is specific/unique to Figs, other vendors can get it too. I believe Figs helped develop the ISF application, I ordered mine from them.

Now if I can only find time to install them..
Old 06-09-16, 07:00 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Thanks FIGS for this awesome review !!
Old 06-09-16, 07:05 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
I believe when he says revalved, he means specifically for the ISF and the type of spring selected. I do not think it it is specific/unique to Figs, other vendors can get it too. I believe Figs helped develop the ISF application, I ordered mine from them.

Now if I can only find time to install them..
Oh ok thanks for the clarification. Reason I asked is because I know BC offers replacements, thus would you have to get them revalved every time or would they come direct. Sounds like that wouldn't be an issue. Having the shock dyno info makes them MUCH more appealing too since you can remove the doubt of them being spotty on the quality control consistency.
Old 06-09-16, 07:23 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by FFM
Oh ok thanks for the clarification. Reason I asked is because I know BC offers replacements, thus would you have to get them revalved every time or would they come direct. Sounds like that wouldn't be an issue. Having the shock dyno info makes them MUCH more appealing too since you can remove the doubt of them being spotty on the quality control consistency.
If ordering replacement shocks, we have have done very infrequently, the customer can order direct and reference the original order with us or they can order through us and we will reference the original order on our end.

Some things to consider on longevity.
We put less demand on the compression side with the increased spring rate so we see the BC seals lasting a long time. Second the only shocks we have replaced have been those that want to step up valving or the vehicle has been in an accident.

BC has the dyno in house now and setting up their new location which will be online soon.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 06-09-16, 07:28 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FIGS
If ordering replacement shocks, we have have done very infrequently, the customer can order direct and reference the original order with us or they can order through us and we will reference the original order on our end.

Some things to consider on longevity.
We put less demand on the compression side with the increased spring rate so we see the BC seals lasting a long time. Second the only shocks we have replaced have been those that want to step up valving or the vehicle has been in an accident.

BC has the dyno in house now and setting up their new location which will be online soon.
Mike
But your increase the rebound side with higher rates...
Old 06-09-16, 09:27 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by Max16
But your increase the rebound side with higher rates...
Correct, which is where the damping increase comes from. In general the damping changes are more relative to rebound than compression on the BC's.
Old 06-09-16, 11:09 AM
STANC36
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish we could get service like that in Germany. I'd buy from Figs if there wasn't the need for a Tüv certificate, without it's expensive to get it road legal (and I'm not sure if it's legal at all).
The only TÜV approved options are KW V3 and K-Sport. I'm not really into each of those.
Old 06-09-16, 11:31 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Originally Posted by STANC36
I wish we could get service like that in Germany. I'd buy from Figs if there wasn't the need for a Tüv certificate, without it's expensive to get it road legal (and I'm not sure if it's legal at all).
The only TÜV approved options are KW V3 and K-Sport. I'm not really into each of those.
You could get the KW and have them change the springs. They can do it, I've asked.
Old 06-09-16, 11:37 AM
STANC36
Rookie

Originally Posted by Max16
You could get the KW and have them change the springs. They can do it, I've asked.
I would, but then the certificate is useless and I could go with anything else out there in the world.
I've had K-Sport and BC in my first gen IS and been pretty happy with the BC. But there's no certificate available for the IS-F.
what u don't like on KW is the fact of reducing preload when lowering and that they use OEM Tophats
Old 06-09-16, 11:39 AM
Max16
Pole Position

I would, but then the certificate is useless and I could go with anything else out there in the world.
I've had K-Sport and BC in my first gen IS and been pretty happy with the BC. But there's no certificate available for the IS-F.
what u don't like on KW is the fact of reducing preload when lowering and that they use OEM Tophats
For me, KW is offering too weak spring rates for my application.
How is the TUV certificate used? Like what if you buy them and swap the springs before the install? Will they still inspect them that close?
Old 06-09-16, 11:50 AM
STANC36
Rookie

Yeah they do, it's hard to explain for me.
We need to get modifications inspected by TÜV. In the certificate is everything written down like Part number of springs and dampers, but also the size of the parts itself to make sure nobody puts those numbers on other parts. It also says what's the minimum lowering is and the maximum. If anything isn't set like the certificate says, you fail inspection. If you pass, everything gets written down in your car papers and you're good to go. Some people change springrates after inspection and/or lower the car more. But when you get pulled over, they take a look in your papers and make sure everything's right.

If you buy parts without a certificate you can do a special inspection by a TÜV engineer, but those are pricey and it's not bulletproof, if police or another engineer doesn't agree with it, they can call it illegal again. They are very strict with wheels, suspension and brakes, there's almost no chance to pass inspection without a certificate
Old 06-10-16, 07:34 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

We have a customer in Germany running our RR-Racing/Penske's, no poblems with TUV that I am aware of.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade from DGR to ?