IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Suspension upgrade from DGR to ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 03:29 PM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't compare BC to KW however for the price I am very happy with the ride of my BC with swift springs. I went with 18k/14k which seems stiffer than what most people here are running and have no complaints however I may just be used to it.
Old 06-06-16, 03:57 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 3nergiz3d
You'll really get a bunch of mixed answers about the BC's from various members on the forums. It's really on what you like and can tolerate. It'll also depend on the application you use it for as well.
Isn't that the truth! Some people love them for the price point and others hated them

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
BC has gone a long way over the last few years. A couple a tweaks here and there in their manufacturing and I guarantee no comparisson to the designs a few years ago. They spend a ton of money on R&D , even do in house testing at their facility in Florida (seen it first hand in January), you will be impressed.
There were obvious complaints about the quality/construction of the coil overs, that's good to hear that they addressed the quality control issues Because for the price they can't be beat!
Old 06-06-16, 06:42 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Just got my set - they are all labeled "06 Lexus IS250" hope that is normal?
Old 06-06-16, 08:02 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok, I've had both BC Coilovers with 14/10K springs (not Swift Springs) and HKS GT4 coilovers. I can personally tell you the HKS Coilovers blew the BC Coilovers out of the water, both in handling and comfort! With the BC Coilovers and 14/10 springs, I had to run the dampening pretty high to not bottom out, and I was not dropped too low either. Even with the dampening set pretty high, the handling was no where near as great as stock! This pissed me off...I spent money to upgrade my suspension, not downgrade it, so I decided to go with the HKS GT4's because I had great luck with them on my Supra. The HKS coils provided me with much better handling (as good as, if not better than stock), and ride comfort was also improved. This improved even more when I upgrade the HKS springs to Swift springs (same stiffness as the stock HKS springs, 16/10K). Even my wife today was complimenting how smooth the ride was. If you don't want to shell out $3000+ on the Penske or Ohlin's, I saw go with the HKS GT4's.
Old 06-06-16, 08:15 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Interesting. HKS with Swift springs sounds like a solid idea actually. Puts you up near the 2k price point or over though I presume.
Old 06-07-16, 05:55 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FFM
Interesting. HKS with Swift springs sounds like a solid idea actually. Puts you up near the 2k price point or over though I presume.
HKS are 2k$ without the swift
So around 2300$ with swift
Old 06-07-16, 06:22 AM
FFM
Racer

Yeah, and at that point you really aren't that far off from Ohlins which are phenomenal coilovers.

Looks like you either risk it with a BC/Swift combo at the 1300$ish mark or have to jump another 1k for the next best thing.

I wouldn't imagine the HKS supplied springs would be garbage though. But it's hard to say. Suspension is such a grey area when it comes to proper testing of spring rates, consistency, valving, consistency, haha. Half the coilovers with 30 settings only do **** the last 5 clicks
Old 06-07-16, 06:28 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Penske hands down. I picked up a set from RR racing.
Old 06-07-16, 07:17 AM
FFM
Racer

$3500 for coilovers on a 98% daily driver like most of us is pretty damn overkill personally.
Old 06-07-16, 07:48 AM
Max16
Pole Position

And I'm canadian so this 3500$ equals to 4600$ for me... My incomes are not 30% more than yours.
5k$ for a suspension just doesn't make sense
Old 06-07-16, 07:50 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Ok, I've had both BC Coilovers with 14/10K springs (not Swift Springs) and HKS GT4 coilovers. I can personally tell you the HKS Coilovers blew the BC Coilovers out of the water, both in handling and comfort! With the BC Coilovers and 14/10 springs, I had to run the dampening pretty high to not bottom out, and I was not dropped too low either. Even with the dampening set pretty high, the handling was no where near as great as stock! This pissed me off...I spent money to upgrade my suspension, not downgrade it, so I decided to go with the HKS GT4's because I had great luck with them on my Supra. The HKS coils provided me with much better handling (as good as, if not better than stock), and ride comfort was also improved. This improved even more when I upgrade the HKS springs to Swift springs (same stiffness as the stock HKS springs, 16/10K). Even my wife today was complimenting how smooth the ride was. If you don't want to shell out $3000+ on the Penske or Ohlin's, I saw go with the HKS GT4's.
Thank you Supraman16 once again on reviewing of HKS coilover. In another thread I followed your reviews and ordered a set of HKS GT4's. It is on the way home. Like you said HKS is better than the stock suspension so do you think I need to upgrade to Swift springs or just HKS springs is enough?
Old 06-07-16, 09:00 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguyF
Thank you Supraman16 once again on reviewing of HKS coilover. In another thread I followed your reviews and ordered a set of HKS GT4's. It is on the way home. Like you said HKS is better than the stock suspension so do you think I need to upgrade to Swift springs or just HKS springs is enough?
No. I think the stock springs on the HKS are decent. I did Swift upgrade because I wanted to see if I could get a pretty good suspension even better. It did smooth it out a bit but not a drastic change. I would say stick with the stock HKS springs for now. Also, leave it at the present HKS settings, both ride height and dampening (15 clicks front and rear from full stiff), the car handles and feels great with the factory HKS settings. Also note, if you have a upgraded rear sway bar, you will have significant oversteer with the HKS coil overs given the stiffer springs. I would only use the stock ISF rear sway bar with these cool overs.
Old 06-07-16, 09:32 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Max16
And I'm canadian so this 3500$ equals to 4600$ for me... My incomes are not 30% more than yours.
5k$ for a suspension just doesn't make sense
If your goal is daily driving, a drop on springs is more than enough. If you're looking to match performance with road feel, Penske is hands down the best money can buy. Ask the guys at RR-Racing to see if they can offer you some kind of discount. I was in your same position and asked our vendors RR-Racing and FIGS a couple questions. Go ahead and try the what FIGS has to offer.

His recommendation at the time being was the BC Racing w/ Swift Springs along with his Mega Arms and Toe links. You'd be coming in at $3121 CAD before shipping and duties which doesn't break the bank completely and you'll have a much better feel of suspension.

If you were in the same province as me, I would love to give you a test drive on the Penskes.
Old 06-07-16, 09:33 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Max16
HKS are 2k$ without the swift
So around 2300$ with swift
Originally Posted by FFM
Yeah, and at that point you really aren't that far off from Ohlins which are phenomenal coilovers.

Looks like you either risk it with a BC/Swift combo at the 1300$ish mark or have to jump another 1k for the next best thing.

I wouldn't imagine the HKS supplied springs would be garbage though. But it's hard to say. Suspension is such a grey area when it comes to proper testing of spring rates, consistency, valving, consistency, haha. Half the coilovers with 30 settings only do **** the last 5 clicks
Also to further what FFM is saying, isn't that getting close to KWV3's in price as well? Are Ohlins and KW's about the same price? If so which one is a better coilover between KWv3's and Ohlins?
Old 06-07-16, 09:49 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Also to further what FFM is saying, isn't that getting close to KWV3's in price as well? Are Ohlins and KW's about the same price? If so which one is a better coilover between KWv3's and Ohlins?
KWv3= 2599
Ohlins = 3299

Still a substantial jump in terms of pricing. I would say the Ohlins is a better coilover, because FIGS customises the coils to match the ISF. Kwv3 has low spring rates, but provides a much comfortable stock like feel ride.

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade from DGR to ?