IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Has anyone gone from an ISF to a motorcycle?

Old 05-31-16, 06:56 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Has anyone gone from an ISF to a motorcycle?

I know most ppl owning ISF's have gone to the GTR, or Porsche, etc, but has anyone gone to a crotch rocket?

I'm thinking of selling the ISF, and in its place perhaps getting an SUV like a 4Runner and along side that a bike, nothing too crazy, maybe like a 2012 CBR600RR.

Any thoughts on this idea?
Old 05-31-16, 07:06 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I've never considered selling a car for a bike. I've only had my bike alongside my cars. In Colorado there's limited months for riding comfortably. In spring it's often raining most afternoons so using it to commute was never really an option, I like staying dry. Weekends usually were the times for riding so I rather have a nice car since its usable 90% of the time more. Plus people suck, riding a bike your head is always on a swivel, not really worrying about killing yourself more so some retard killing you being careless. I got rid of my bike several years ago. I do miss it from time to time and consider getting another but it's probably for the best that I don't have another. Bike deaths are up a crazy percentage here in CO. Have you ever ridden a bike? I wouldn't go selling my car til you really know if you like it/feel comfortable riding. Even then I wouldn't sell my F for a bike/suv.
Old 05-31-16, 09:04 PM
sedition
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went from a motorcycle (954RR) to an ISF Though, I wouldn't recommend a 600cc as a first bike (assuming it's your first).

The bike is going to be faster than 99% of the cars you encounter, but IMO it doesn't feel the same as a quick car. Still having A/C or heat, being dry in rain, ability to transport things/people, having a nice sound system, other cars not trying to kill you by not seeing you, bumps in the road/slippery surfaces being forgiving, and many other small things are just some examples of what you might miss.

You might think that you can just hop in the SUV/truck for those instances, but I imagine you'll likely be wishing the whole time driving it that you still had the ISF. Motorcycles do have some fun advantages like gas mileage, ease of parking, quicker to navigate around traffic, etc. but I'm overall very happy to have made the switch. I suppose it really boils down to what you are looking for in your transportation
Old 05-31-16, 10:39 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my ISF for 5 months now and the reason I purchased it was my second child was coming. I sold my 2010 cbr1000rr track queen and my 2007 Ducati 1098 tricolore and bought the ISF. Now let's get this out of the way the bikes are SO much faster in a straight line it's not even a race and after a few track day schools you can become a canyon carver but with that being said there and to have been 50 times over the last 12 years that someone else has almost hit me. Also I have seen many for my friends go down and road rash is horrendous. But there is no substitute for 2 wheels it's a lifestyle that has huge risks but can not be duplicated.
Old 06-01-16, 06:06 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I will agree with what others have posted above. I have ridden since Katanas and Hurricanes were cool and recently gave up the lifestyle because I felt I had "done it all" and had nothing left to prove. Make no mistake, it is a lifestyle and giving up a car for it may come as a hardship to some. Keep in mind that fast cars go fast without a lot of fuss. Fast bikes however require great skill and attention to go fast. You can easily write a check your hind parts can't cash on a bike. I look back at all of the times I could have wrecked, been hit, or killed and I am amazed that I dodged the bullet so many times. I won't overplay the safety part because that is largely up to you based on where you ride, how you ride, and your ability to stifle your propensity to do stupid things on two wheels. From 75 up to top speed, your ISF will match a 600cc sportbike speed wise and you will likely have a higher top speed. Bottom line, if you are going to make the trade, take several rider safety courses, have good health insurance, buy a bike that you can easily resell if you don't like it, and prepare yourself for many unforeseen occurrences on a bike that will never happen on a car.

Like I said, I have had several sportbikes (Katanas, GSXRs, RC46, RC51). I have done track days, ridden cross country, used it as a daily driver, used it to pick up women, gone on rides with groups, etc. and I absolutely loved it. I would never talk anyone out of it (unless they were over 50), just be aware that it is a whole different ball game with a steep learning curve. I love my "cage" now and giving up bikes without a fast car would have been difficult.
Old 06-01-16, 06:13 AM
xellos
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes I get the urge to buy a motorcycle. Then I remember I got nervous while riding a bicycle on the side of the road while cars were whizzing by. So I don't think a motorbike is for me lol.
Old 06-01-16, 07:45 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFLexy
I know most ppl owning ISF's have gone to the GTR, or Porsche, etc, but has anyone gone to a crotch rocket?

I'm thinking of selling the ISF, and in its place perhaps getting an SUV like a 4Runner and along side that a bike, nothing too crazy, maybe like a 2012 CBR600RR.

Any thoughts on this idea?
I have an IS-F and a 2002 Honda CBR F4i 600cc......they are totally different and I would not trade one for the other. The CBR is better on gas, and you can't ride it all the time due to weather, temp, etc.

If you can swing it, look at used early 2000's bikes, they might be in the 2-4000 dollar range, and you can get one and keep your IS-F. Also if you decide to give up riding, you would not lose any money.

Also, if this is your first time riding a motorcycle, I would stay away from a 600cc sportbike, and look into something like a Honda Shadow, something that is a "standard".
Old 06-01-16, 08:04 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Wierd coz I'm actually looking for a bike, maybe next year, a cbr600rr raptor..just to maneuver around la traffic...
Old 06-01-16, 08:59 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by chris07is
Wierd coz I'm actually looking for a bike, maybe next year, a cbr600rr raptor..just to maneuver around la traffic...
Having a CBR600RR to move around traffic in slow areas and stop and go traffic would suck to be honest, the power is all up top and the riding position is more forward.
Old 06-01-16, 09:43 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

yea, if u having this thought , 1st u go pick out a lot of which cemetery u want to buried, a casket and which flowers for the arrangement and prepaid in advantage. It will change how you going to do thing , especially sport bikes. I live here in Socal and witness a lot of accidents most were fatal involved in sport bikes. Last month , just right in front of my street on the way to work , there was a sport bike hitting a car about 45 mph his body less than 10 feet from that car. I seen worst then that . Be safe man, and keep the F

Last edited by ISF4life; 06-01-16 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-01-16, 09:52 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I wanted a bike before the ISF and after seeing so many accidents and seen a guy lost his left foot due to some idiot rear ending him at a red light. It goes to show, YOU can be the safe driver but people around you are careless idiots and in some cases it will cost you literally an arm or a leg.
Old 06-01-16, 10:10 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow
It goes to show, YOU can be the safe driver but people around you are careless idiots and in some cases it will cost you literally an arm or a leg.
Yep, with all the techno-gadgets available these days, distracted driving is an epidemic. On a motorcycle, you must be hyper-defensive and, as liquidtek mentioned, keep your head on a swivel. I stopped riding to work in the DC area because people are generally too aggressive, stupid, and/or nuts in traffic.

I loved riding my bike on twisty mountain roads, but I rarely get out these days.. Plus, I'm suffering from this "F The Track" bug that's been going around, so my MC days are pretty much behind me.

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 06-02-16 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 11:33 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by ISF4life
yea, if u having this thought , 1st u go pick out a lot of which cemetery u want to buried, a casket and which flowers for the arrangement and prepaid in advantage. It will change how you going to do thing , especially sport bikes.
I know people who have been riding their whole lives, rode cross country, in different countries, etc and are still alive today......
Old 06-01-16, 01:48 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I know people who have been riding their whole lives, rode cross country, in different countries, etc and are still alive today......

I have too. My father in law comes to mind here.

But also I have lost many of friends that I grew up with due to bike accidents which in turn made me sell mine many years ago.

OP it's up to you my friend whichever you want the most.
Old 06-01-16, 02:52 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Get the hayabusa!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone gone from an ISF to a motorcycle?