IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission fluid replacement at 50,000 miles after heavy track use

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 10:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Transmission fluid replacement at 50,000 miles after heavy track use

Hey guys I just wanted to do a quick write up on my experience recently with the complete transmission fluid replacement at 50k rather than the recommended 100k. I had a TON of work done on my car recently . She was in for ( ELF recall, rotors, pads, fluid, steal brake lines, new battery, 50k service). Since I have just come of the 15 track days in 2 years I have been noticing some shift flares in the morning and even when warm. While she was there I figured might as well have them do the service to the tranny. Another member said his was $550 with a $150 gasket ( I believe ). I figured since I had really pushed the car to its max I might as well do it. When the SA came back with the quote rather than $700 or $550, he said total flush and fluid replacement was only $293 !!!. I obviously went for it.

Since I have had the car back now for almost a week I can absolutely say my car must have been low on the ATF. The car shifts faster, it doesn't hold gears oddly like it had been , and when I drop gears the shifts feel a little crisper and more tactile. You feel the car shift harder.

If you can have it done for this price I would strongly recommend it. The SA said it needed to be at a certain temp and that the tranny took more than 12 quarts. I know the sample tests for Lobux and others have come back fine. My concern was the fluid being low after all the track work and for some reason my SA said they can top it off because it fills from the bottom. Because the price was so low to do the total flush and fill I didn't argue. In the end the car feels great !!! Super happy I went for it
Attached Thumbnails Transmission fluid replacement at 50,000 miles after heavy track use-lexus-f-badge-badging-lexus-of-naperville-chicago-il.jpg   Transmission fluid replacement at 50,000 miles after heavy track use-mar-19-2016-speed-ventures-orange-turn-12-920am-jcb_6842_mar1916_by_gg-caliphoto.jpg  
Old 05-28-16, 11:09 AM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

glad to hear brotha! i was kinda expecting you to come back and post your review.
Old 05-28-16, 11:12 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

That's great news! I actually called lexus of Sacramento last month for a full transmission flush and service. They kept telling "why?" And "is there anything wrong with it?" I kept telling them I just want my fluids replaced and nothing is wrong with my transmission. The SA still kept asking me the same question. I got super irritated and if i wasnt in a rush, i would had ask to speak with a technician. I decided to call them later. So far, I have not called them back not but now want to.

Last edited by idoke1; 05-28-16 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-28-16, 11:51 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Phew, nearly gave me a heart attack. Did a quick glance at the new posts and thought you posted "Transmission Replacement at 50k miles"

Lol, carry on.
Old 05-28-16, 12:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
glad to hear brotha! i was kinda expecting you to come back and post your review.
Thanks bud. I needed to spread the word. To protect such a vital part every 50k for only $293 with all the track work seemed like a no brainer. I just got back from the gym and was pushing her and the shifts feel fast , smooth, "flareless", and the rev matches seems crisp and I feel them more.

Originally Posted by idoke1
That's great news! I actually called lexus of Sacramento last month for a full transmission flush and service. They kept telling "why?" And "is there anything wrong with it?" I kept telling them I just want my fluids replaced and nothing is wrong with my transmission. The SA still kept asking me the same question. I got super irritated and if i wasnt in a rush, i would had ask to speak with a technician. I decided to call them later. So far, I have not called them back not but now want to.
Apparently they have to get it to 113 degrees ( dont quote me ) to do the service. 12 quarts !! I think you will like the results. We all subjectively adapt. things change so slowly that we adapt and only notice it when it gets bad. But like a patient with a new pair of glasses 2 or right after cataract surgery you notice a HUGE difference one you get the issue corrected.

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Phew, nearly gave me a heart attack. Did a quick glance at the new posts and thought you posted "Transmission Replacement at 50k miles"

Lol, carry on.
LMAO God forbid !!! Now that I have learned a bunch about the CCSR I think it really would be freakishly rare to blow a motor or tranny .
Old 05-28-16, 01:40 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

I wonder who the other member that had if flushed? lol
Old 05-28-16, 02:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
I wonder who the other member that had if flushed? lol
haha Yup you !!! And you have been a HUGE track junky recently as well. Honestly man I would have payed the $700 but was glad it was less than $300. I wrote your name in but then changed it in case you didnt want a bunch of PMs and me just volunteering your info. lol

Dude you have been killing it on the track. Your line was really good in that last video and the paddles are really helping your corner exit. Your speed on the track has gone beyond those PSS. They are squealing like a stuck pig Keep up the good work bud !!
Old 05-28-16, 05:34 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

For that price I would've jumped on it with a quickness!
Old 05-28-16, 06:59 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you get a sample to send in for testing/?
Old 05-28-16, 07:15 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for sharing, I8ABMR. $293 is a reasonable price for positive results you could feel. Not to mention peace of mind.

My SA (who has an F which he tracks) told me Lexus of Seattle can do a complete flush/change. Don't recall what he said they'd charge, but I'll definitely have it done, especially after reading of how labor intensive & specialized it is to even check the fluid level.
Old 05-29-16, 01:51 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Good stuff guys.

Perfectly timed by the way!

Mine is due in with Lexus this Wednesday for its 8yr/80k service. I added a gearbox flush and refill to my job card after noticing the odd clunk or hesitation when kicking down hard.

Think they are charging me £137 to do it, which seems on par with your quote.

Glad to hear you've noticed an improvement.

Keep up the great work!
Old 05-29-16, 06:33 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I did a fluid level check & two weeks ago & mine was low.. I added ~1/3 quart... The transmission definitely feels better now.

BTW, this is my second time doing the procedure.. I did it for the first time last September, but it turned out to be more of a learning process.. I made a big mess and probably didn't actually raise the level any higher than it was before I started.. The transmission felt pretty much the same since then..

This time I was more familiar with the procedure & definitely added more fluid than I spilled! I'm happy with the results & recommend checking it if yours is not shifting as well as you feel it should be. As lobuxracer mentioned in another thread, the level doesn't need to be off by much to produce symptoms.

I may be inclined to do a step-by-step DIY write-up on this one of these days. I'm sort of OCD when it comes to this stuff, so even though my transmission feels much better, I'm still not convinced the level is perfect.

-Mike
Old 05-29-16, 07:52 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I did a fluid level check & two weeks ago & mine was low.. I added ~1/3 quart... The transmission definitely feels better now.

BTW, this is my second time doing the procedure.. I did it for the first time last September, but it turned out to be more of a learning process.. I made a big mess and probably didn't actually raise the level any higher than it was before I started.. The transmission felt pretty much the same since then..

This time I was more familiar with the procedure & definitely added more fluid than I spilled! I'm happy with the results & recommend checking it if yours is not shifting as well as you feel it should be. As lobuxracer mentioned in another thread, the level doesn't need to be off by much to produce symptoms.

I may be inclined to do a step-by-step DIY write-up on this one of these days. I'm sort of OCD when it comes to this stuff, so even though my transmission feels much better, I'm still not convinced the level is perfect.

-Mike
Please, I would love a DIY guide. My transmission is acting the same way. I would love to know the proper procedure to do this.
Old 05-29-16, 08:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikersoft

-Mike

HeY mike I had a feeling they were BSing me when they said they cant top it off. But with the price being so low and knowing it would be more ideal with all the track use I jumped. I am 100% sure my symptoms are from just being a little low and not the fluid being jacked. We know from other who have sent sample in that the ATF will last. Its the level that needs to be addressed.
Old 05-30-16, 12:26 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

what dealership is this?

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid replacement at 50,000 miles after heavy track use