IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission fluid replacement at 50,000 miles after heavy track use

Old 05-30-16, 10:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by empathy
what dealership is this?
Arrowhead Lexus They have been great. Decent pricing , my SA is an ex-mechanic of 23 years, and really nice loaners. Had the 450h recently and have had GS350 F sport several times.
Old 05-31-16, 10:01 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Can you post the service ID for the tranny service from your invoice?
Old 05-31-16, 10:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

dont see any id numbers. receipt says transmission flush. Turns out it wasnt even $290. With the gasket and the total flush it came to $259.34. Not bad considering Gearbangn was charged $700
Old 06-01-16, 08:15 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

They charged Gearbangin $700
Old 06-01-16, 02:22 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My service wasn't too far off, they charged me ~$550
Old 06-02-16, 03:28 AM
Jonasan112
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At what mileage are you guys checking/changing the tranny fluid?
Old 06-02-16, 04:25 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

So for peace of mind I had my transmission fluid changed at Lexus Canterbury here in the UK yesterday. Car was due in with them for the 8yr/80K service anyway, so seemed like a good idea to get this done at the same time.

I was charged £132 all inclusive, which equates to roughly $190.

When I asked about whether my car had ever had the gearbox fluid changed (they have electronic records for all servicing etc per car), they said no. Apparently they rarely check or suggest changing the fluid unless the owner specifically asks about it.

Like others before me, seems a no-brainer at that cost for preserving/protecting a very technically advanced/expensive gearbox. I will get it done again when the car is 16yrs old or hits 110K miles.

Do feel it was beneficial as others have said. Changes seem slicker and smoother than they were before. Also seems to find the gears quicker? Had a pretty boring drive back from the dealership due to heavy traffic, but will report further once I get a better drive under my belt.

Hope this helps some of you guys.

Cheers.

Peter
Old 06-02-16, 04:58 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonasan112
At what mileage are you guys checking/changing the tranny fluid?
If it's a level check, I think mileage is irrelevant. If it's exhibiting any unusual symptoms (like flaring or holding a gear too long in auto), it's probably low & should be checked. I bought my car with only 8K miles, and it feels better now (at over 40K) than it ever did since I've recently topped off the fluid.

-Mike
Old 06-02-16, 05:02 AM
Jonasan112
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mike.. I just purchased a 2010 with 50k on it.. Everything seems to be working fine.. I was just checking to see what you all had to say about it..
Old 06-02-16, 11:00 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I agree. I wouldnt have even messed with it unless it was showing the little flares and holding the gear after very left turns ( was almost no existent ), but I did have the flares even when the car was warm.
Old 06-02-16, 12:02 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Arrowhead Lexus They have been great. Decent pricing , my SA is an ex-mechanic of 23 years, and really nice loaners. Had the 450h recently and have had GS350 F sport several times.
Sweet, they're just 20 minutes from me! I'm at 77K so I should probably take it in and get that done. I need to get some other warranty work and recall work done too, so might as well get it all done in one shot. What's your SA's name?
Old 06-02-16, 07:12 PM
Rebel22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread. I actually just got an email back from the local Lexus dealership asking how much a spark plug change and transmission flush and fill would cost. I got a quick email back that the spark plugs would cost me $362.00 and then the same story that I only have 50,000 miles on the car and the transmission fluid isn't due to be changed until 120,000. This is after I explained that I know it isn't due to be changed, but that I am very big on maintenance and I got the car 5 months ago and was just looking for piece of mind, especially after it seems to hold shifts longer than it should sometimes.

I just got another email that the transmission service would be $152.00. Sounds like I'm going to have to ask some in depth questions about what they will do for this? I'll take it there now if they are draining and refilling the transmission!
Old 06-17-16, 01:22 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

REPORT/UPDATE :
After a couple of weeks of driving the car I am noticing less flares but I still have one big one when I take off in the morning and leaving the office. Took it back and they said the level was fine. I don't think they followed the procedure. Not sure how to get this solved. I told him that the refill procedure involved rowing through the gears and the SA insisted that tech did it. I don't trust them. I think I am going to call the manager tomorrow and fill him in and may drive down there after work and show them the refill instructions I found here. Pain in the ***. I know I should start taking it to another Lexus dealership but these guys are so much closer ,but they suck . They seemed really keen on perhaps replacing the tranny if I could get it to flare on a test drive and it didnt do it on the test drive but it does it leaving the office and house in morning . I kept insisting I dont need a new tranny I just need the procedure followed in the book, not the standard drain and fill
Old 06-17-16, 07:29 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
REPORT/UPDATE :
After a couple of weeks of driving the car I am noticing less flares but I still have one big one when I take off in the morning and leaving the office. Took it back and they said the level was fine. I don't think they followed the procedure. Not sure how to get this solved. I told him that the refill procedure involved rowing through the gears and the SA insisted that tech did it. I don't trust them. I think I am going to call the manager tomorrow and fill him in and may drive down there after work and show them the refill instructions I found here. Pain in the ***. I know I should start taking it to another Lexus dealership but these guys are so much closer ,but they suck . They seemed really keen on perhaps replacing the tranny if I could get it to flare on a test drive and it didnt do it on the test drive but it does it leaving the office and house in morning . I kept insisting I dont need a new tranny I just need the procedure followed in the book, not the standard drain and fill
This is the one reason I'm so afraid of letting the dealership even do this transmission fluid change. I don't think half of them really know the procedure of doing this. Unfortunately you'll never really know how they did it. It's quite possible the service was cheap because all they did was drain and refill without using the proper procedure.
Old 06-21-16, 11:47 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

yup.Its better but it still flares in the morning very slightly if I fish for it. But simply driving it it doesnt do it, but yes knowing this I probably would tell people to just leave it alone. In my case it was flaring hot and cold before so I was worried. It much better but still happens. The last two days in AZ have been record setting days (118 degrees) so I think the temp is getting the fluid to expand a little because I cant get it to flare the last 2 days . I am going to have them redo it in the dead of winter here when its like 65 lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission fluid replacement at 50,000 miles after heavy track use