IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone seen this J&K Supercharger around?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 03:16 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Anyone seen this J&K Supercharger around?

So found this being sent around in a whatsapp group we have in the middle east, was surpsied as I've never seen this covered here.

Anyone heard of a company called J&K in Japan?

Link to the build with pics ---> http://minkara.carview.co.jp/summary/1281/

Does sound lovley
Old 05-26-16, 07:40 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

there was a thread about it awhile ago. Only thing I could find was in the RCF area

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-teaser-4.html
Old 05-26-16, 08:06 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I was going to say this looks to be for the RC-F as opposed to the IS-F, hence why we probably haven't seen anything about it in this section of the forum.

Does look and sound very nice though!
Old 05-26-16, 08:45 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by PDP180180
I was going to say this looks to be for the RC-F as opposed to the IS-F, hence why we probably haven't seen anything about it in this section of the forum.

Does look and sound very nice though!
pretty sure I saw it in the IS-F thread I just don't care enough to dig for it. They have an IS-F version as well as RC-F which are probably nearly identical.
Old 05-26-16, 12:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

we got RR racing right here in the US of A!!
Old 05-26-16, 02:19 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

The sound is intoxicating!
Old 05-26-16, 05:44 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
The sound is intoxicating!
Yes it does. But it sounds weird during deceleration. Is that normal?
Old 05-26-16, 06:35 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking it's just the bov, hks has a bit of a distinct sound. Although it's much less high pitched the the HKS SSQV bov.
Old 05-26-16, 06:38 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually thinking about further might not be a bov and it's just flutter. Basically the waste gate closes and the excess boost bounces back against the turbine wheel.
Old 05-26-16, 07:00 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
Yes it does. But it sounds weird during deceleration. Is that normal?
You mean the blow-off valve? Maybe weird, but it's very important part of the whole system.

It relieves boost pressure when you're not in throttle in order to prevent overboosting and engine damage.

It's usually more audible when you have an open element intake system, like the one used in this RCF.
Old 05-26-16, 08:17 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redcrxsi
Actually thinking about further might not be a bov and it's just flutter. Basically the waste gate closes and the excess boost bounces back against the turbine wheel.
It's a supercharger. That setup on the RCF doesn't have a wastegate, which are more for turbochargers to control boost. BUT, some folks are now using external wastegates on superchargers so they can control boost.
Old 05-26-16, 09:17 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Nice to see options. I emailed Greddy asking about theirs and whether it was coming back and didn't even get a response.
Old 05-26-16, 09:26 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That flutter sound is probably the longest on going debate in all turbocharged car forums. Some will tell you it is the dreaded 'compressor surge', which is very bad since it damages the compressor side of the turbo. But after years of reading through these debates, compressor surge flutter is only extremely bad when you come off high boost. But BOV flutter is actually normal coming off low boost(below 5psi)...and if you do not hear that flutter coming off of high boost, than you are ok. If he really mashed WOT at higher RPM on the RCF, the BOV would break with a clean whoosh...but with short half throttle revs at low rpm, you get the flutters.

The surge/flutter sound is caused when you let off the throttle, the TB is closed but the compressor is still spinning...the bov's job is to relieve that trapped pressure, but at low boost that pressure is not high enough for the BOV to open completely, so that low pressure bounces back and forth within the charged pipe and slowly gets relieved by the BOV in a skipping manner. Centrifugal superchargers are effected also because they have a compressor design like a turbo. Some think you have to tighten your BOV, but than you run the risk of boost pressure not being relieved properly...and some say to loosen your BOV, which actually can create and act like a leak. Ideally, the flutter is bad, but the consensus now is that it is ok at low boost pressure. How to get rid of the fluttering, recirculate the air back through the intake...but than you don't hear anything, not even the whoosh.

An external wastegate can also flutter as well, but it is completely different and doesn't necessarily occur when you let off the throttle completely.

Last edited by Fsport2UR; 05-26-16 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 06:08 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

That's because most diverter or atmospheric dump valves are designed to open via a strong vacuum reference since they have to pull against a pre-loaded spring. Like mentioned, require being tight enough to not leak, but also not overly tight in that they never open unless full vacuum is present.

That's where a valve like Synapse comes into play. You can blip the throttle and still get a full discharge.
Old 05-27-16, 06:53 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
You mean the blow-off valve? Maybe weird, but it's very important part of the whole system.

It relieves boost pressure when you're not in throttle in order to prevent overboosting and engine damage.

It's usually more audible when you have an open element intake system, like the one used in this RCF.
Yeah, I know how the wastegate functions. It just sounded a little like this-

Quick Reply: Anyone seen this J&K Supercharger around?