IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Looking for proper autocross/track wheel for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 06:41 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for proper autocross/track wheel for HPDE

I would like lightweight I guess 18s (only because tirerack is only show 18s http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...0&autoModClar=). Can you guys recommend the best setup. This is for track/autocross use only. I have PSS on the stock and when they go out will go to all seasons and used other rims for track day. Not sure about offset, size, etc. Oh maybe looking to add coilovers in the future.
Old 05-24-16, 06:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Search for 'track wheels' in thread titles in the IS-F forum for instant answers! For example

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t=track+wheels

Will also need this
Old 05-24-16, 06:58 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

ok thanks. I need to go to forum school.
Old 05-24-16, 06:58 PM
gtrevels
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the same situation and need help selecting the right equipment. The tires and wheels are the weak link on my F right now (other than trying to get a remote tune). Previous trips to the track, my brakes would go soft. But since I upgraded to Project Mu HC +800 (thanks Matt - Speedfreaks) I feel the tires (Pilot SS) losing grip. The new brake pads are amazing.
I have a lot to learn about wheels/tires and started reading up at TireRack. But first, I hate how difficult it is to clean the stock 2011 wheels. So, I would like to use those as track wheels with track tires and buy a different set for daily driving. But it looks like wheel size may dictate which I use for track and daily driving.

Please advise!! But keep it simple. lol

gtr
Old 05-24-16, 07:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Are you set on buying 2 sets of wheels or do you want to use the stocks for the street and then do a set of separate wheels for the track. I am too lazy to keep switching ( example I recently did 3 track days in 4 weeks ) at the frequency my car sees track time. I know , for the most part, that is way out of the norm but that is what I do so I have a street/track set up. I run aggressive tires with the widest wheels I can fit and not have rubbing that couldnt be massaged away . I burn up tires every 5-7k in the rear and 10-11k for the fronts.

So to simplify I guess I would ask is how much track time are we talking about? lol
Old 05-24-16, 07:13 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Are you set on buying 2 sets of wheels or do you want to use the stocks for the street and then do a set of separate wheels for the track. I am too lazy to keep switching ( example I recently did 3 track days in 4 weeks ) at the frequency my car sees track time. I know , for the most part, that is way out of the norm but that is what I do so I have a street/track set up. I run aggressive tires with the widest wheels I can fit and not have rubbing that couldnt be massaged away . I burn up tires every 5-7k in the rear and 10-11k for the fronts.

So to simplify I guess I would ask is how much track time are we talking about? lol

tomorrow will make it my 3rd session. I guess it would be a hassle to change out wheels, but I plan to loose the pss on stock and go down to hp all seasons for daily driving. You daily drive your car? How many miles?
Old 05-24-16, 07:15 PM
AshyAnklez
Driver

Originally Posted by gtrevels
I am in the same situation and need help selecting the right equipment. The tires and wheels are the weak link on my F right now (other than trying to get a remote tune). Previous trips to the track, my brakes would go soft. But since I upgraded to Project Mu HC +800 (thanks Matt - Speedfreaks) I feel the tires (Pilot SS) losing grip. The new brake pads are amazing.
I have a lot to learn about wheels/tires and started reading up at TireRack. But first, I hate how difficult it is to clean the stock 2011 wheels. So, I would like to use those as track wheels with track tires and buy a different set for daily driving. But it looks like wheel size may dictate which I use for track and daily driving.

Please advise!! But keep it simple. lol

gtr
How well does the DVD/nav override works?
Old 05-24-16, 07:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I daily mine and track it . Car currently has 52k . Just picked her up today and Im so happy. She had the ELF recall, valley plate fix, new battery, new pads , rotors, brake fluid, oil change, and service ! She is ready for some track work after I get a fresh set of AD08Rs.
Old 05-24-16, 09:45 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The problem with having a singular wheel/tire combo for street and track is that there will be significant wear and tear. After a few track days with my now street set up, I came to the conclusion that it might be more cost effective to have a dedicated set just for the track. This might not seem like it at first, but during one of my track days, I saw a guy who spun out in his E36 M3 with Volk Racing TE37. A couple of us were in the adjacent garage, so we checked in on him. Nothing about rubbing it in or making him feel like crap. It's a great environment on the track, and people really do look out for one another, but we knew his setup was done. He had said that he used the wheels for both street and track, but he's glad that the wheel cracked on the track rather than on the street. I can concur with him regarding this. So many owners think it's ok to have a good track/street set up. Something will give- longevity of wheels through prolonged use stress on the track, wear of tires, etc.

Some, including myself, have a separate track set up and a street set up for this very reason. Honestly, the stock wheels are not bad. They function well, are forged, and built very sturdy. Some choose to use it on the track, which is not a bad idea. We're out there to learn about the car's characteristics and behavior. I would highly suggest anyone who is just starting out with tracking their vehicle to stick with the stockies and learn and progress. Getting super lightweight wheels and R-comp tires right out of the bat can lead to bad practice and a false sense of improvement- or worse, spin outs and crashes from improper technique. Learn the car, grow with the car, and above all else, only gain the parts that you feel you need for the car. Others can only offer a suggestion, but their opinions are never finite in the decision making of your car.

Forged wheels are great. They're lightweight, comes in various designs and sizes, and will help decrease rotational mass, which should equate to increased acceleration. But you as the owner need to ask yourself are you going into competition mode, wanting a wheel for a specific look/finish, and your intent in using the wheels (show or go). There have been a few videos with various fully forged wheels (not the fake forged- be wary of the cast process) showing hairline cracks on the inside of wheel spokes. It's not because the wheel is bad, but it should not be used in competition or high speed events any longer because it is now compromised.

There are many great performing tires out there for both street and track. The Michelin PSS is a great all around tire, but I go back to the concept of compromise. It is not a track tire for prolonged use. I've discussed it with many who are into specific tires and different compounds for different events, and they all say that they'd rather use the PSS for the street. After six full track days, my PSS tires were toast. And many of you know it's not easy to replace tires often, especially the seemingly always backordered PSS. Don't get me wrong, I love the PSS on the street. It behaves quite well with great all around wear. This would not be the case if you were to use the PSS as a street and track tire. What I wouldn't do is use two separate tires on the same wheel. That's a lot of swapping, and I'm not a fan of constantly interchanging tires. Something about the process of removing a tire only to need to stretch it and install it again irks me.
Old 05-25-16, 10:25 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87

Forged wheels are great. They're lightweight, comes in various designs and sizes, and will help decrease rotational mass, which should equate to increased acceleration. But you as the owner need to ask yourself are you going into competition mode, wanting a wheel for a specific look/finish, and your intent in using the wheels (show or go). There have been a few videos with various fully forged wheels (not the fake forged- be wary of the cast process) showing hairline cracks on the inside of wheel spokes. It's not because the wheel is bad, but it should not be used in competition or high speed events any longer because it is now compromised.

There are many great performing tires out there for both street and track. The Michelin PSS is a great all around tire, but I go back to the concept of compromise. It is not a track tire for prolonged use. I've discussed it with many who are into specific tires and different compounds for different events, and they all say that they'd rather use the PSS for the street. After six full track days, my PSS tires were toast. And many of you know it's not easy to replace tires often, especially the seemingly always backordered PSS. Don't get me wrong, I love the PSS on the street. It behaves quite well with great all around wear. This would not be the case if you were to use the PSS as a street and track tire. What I wouldn't do is use two separate tires on the same wheel. That's a lot of swapping, and I'm not a fan of constantly interchanging tires. Something about the process of removing a tire only to need to stretch it and install it again irks me.
Some solid advice in here. To summarize:
On your 3rd time at the track, the biggest thing that's slowing your lap times is the driver.

Don't necessarily go chasing the lightest aftermarket wheel you can find. Tracking your car subjects it to a tremendous amount of stress. Wheel failure on track is terrifying, and brake dust can make inspecting wheels difficult.

The PSS is a really good street tire. But it's still a street tire.
The biggest advantage of a dedicated set of track wheels\tires is the ability to go to a square setup and eliminate a lot of the understeer that Lexus dialed in. In addition to making the car more neutral, it'll allow you to rotate your wheels and extend tire life.

If it were me, I'd buy a second set of OEM wheels from someone and run the same width at all four corners. Likely cheaper than an aftermarket set, likely stronger than an aftermarket set.
Old 05-26-16, 09:49 AM
gtrevels
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Works just like advertised. I haven't had any problems with it. But I don't use is much. Only when my wife is with me. She like watching movies a lot.

It was a pretty simple install and the very first mod for my ISF.

gtr

Originally Posted by AshyAnklez
How well does the DVD/nav override works?
Old 05-26-16, 12:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

HRE is doing 25% off on the Flow form wheels just in case !
Old 05-27-16, 02:27 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calteg
If it were me, I'd buy a second set of OEM wheels from someone and run the same width at all four corners. Likely cheaper than an aftermarket set, likely stronger than an aftermarket set.
That means you'd have to buy two sets of rear wheels? Or fronts?
Old 05-27-16, 02:49 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I used my oem as my track wheels, I have 2 more sets of wheels, one for rainy season...(whenever it rains here in LA...lol) and one for summer set up...oem wheels works for me for me except the tires...I still have one more track life on the tires, before I switch it to another size and brand....