IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Comparison opinions on Mild Steel vs Stainless Steel Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 04:38 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Comparison opinions on Mild Steel vs Stainless Steel Headers...

I'm getting to the point that I'm looking to get some Headers for the car but I'm contemplating between Sikky & PPE. I talked to PPE and they confirmed that they are no longer producing mild steel versions of their Headers and only the stainless steel versions, hence why the price increase they said to over $1500.

I also talked to Sikky today and they said that they too are not producing mild steel Headers anymore and are transitioning to stainless steel by the end of June early July. Their mild Headers were priced at $1300 and that included a ceramic coating that they put on them. Unfortunately they said that they sold out of their last batch of mild steel Headers just recently

They said that I could try one of their vendors to see if they have any in stock because that would be the last of them. The savings over the PPE stainless steel Headers was about $250.

PPE said that a ceramic coating on the current stainless steel Headers is $300 ($150 per bank) which would bring the price to about $1850 for stainless+ceramic coating.

That being said if I find a new or used pair of mild steel Headers (Sikky or PPE) is the difference between mild and stainless that pronounced that I should be worried about corrosion or longevity on the mild Headers??

Thx
Old 05-24-16, 05:47 PM
St4nc3
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I'm getting to the point that I'm looking to get some Headers for the car but I'm contemplating between Sikky & PPE. I talked to PPE and they confirmed that they are no longer producing mild steel versions of their Headers and only the stainless steel versions, hence why the price increase they said to over $1500.

I also talked to Sikky today and they said that they too are not producing mild steel Headers anymore and are transitioning to stainless steel by the end of June early July. Their mild Headers were priced at $1300 and that included a ceramic coating that they put on them. Unfortunately they said that they sold out of their last batch of mild steel Headers just recently

They said that I could try one of their vendors to see if they have any in stock because that would be the last of them. The savings over the PPE stainless steel Headers was about $250.

PPE said that a ceramic coating on the current stainless steel Headers is $300 ($150 per bank) which would bring the price to about $1850 for stainless+ceramic coating.

That being said if I find a new or used pair of mild steel Headers (Sikky or PPE) is the difference between mild and stainless that pronounced that I should be worried about corrosion or longevity on the mild Headers??

Thx
That's strange because I spoke to Paul from PPE and he quoted me on a mild steel header ceramic coated. Which then means they still are producing them maybe at a special request
Old 05-24-16, 06:00 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

With equal length designs about to reach the market, the original short tube unequal length headers will likely be posted for sale on the used market in a few months as people upgrade.
Old 05-24-16, 06:39 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

I'll keep my eye out for a used set from here on out, but I wonder how many people will sell their shorties for the equal length headers considering the price increase?
Old 05-24-16, 08:43 PM
minator
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had my mild steel coated PPEs on for about 9 months.. no indications of corrosion. Our dry climate and the robust coating swayed me toward mild steel... Don't see it being an issue for the life of the car.
Old 05-24-16, 09:05 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

That's true at our altitude and low humidity I doubt there will be any issues with corrosion which is the only reason to go with stainless steel correct?
Old 05-24-16, 09:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I had my PPE headers (the original one where the dipstick had to be moved) for 5 years with no issues. Sold them to a forum member. After removal they still looked great except for the scratches caused by the install and removal. They were mild steel with the silver JetHot ceramic coating.

Lou
Old 05-24-16, 09:33 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I just got the full stainless from PPE. The concern wasn't so much as the price of the headers, but for the install. From talking to PPE a couple months ago, they said they only offer full stainless at this time and not mild steel like they did previously. In the end, you will have no regrets and a couple hundred bucks wont be a big impact on your wallet. Hopefully your O2 sensors will come out easily, because that can be an additional $300-500 to replace.
Old 05-24-16, 09:51 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
I just got the full stainless from PPE. The concern wasn't so much as the price of the headers, but for the install. From talking to PPE a couple months ago, they said they only offer full stainless at this time and not mild steel like they did previously. In the end, you will have no regrets and a couple hundred bucks wont be a big impact on your wallet. Hopefully your O2 sensors will come out easily, because that can be an additional $300-500 to replace.
If it gets installed right it won't be a problem. O2 sensors need to be taken out when the headers are cooled. It will stripped when hot because heat expansion. Here in SoCal install is $500-600. O2 sensors only $125 each on Amazon.
Old 05-24-16, 09:54 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
If it gets installed right it won't be a problem. O2 sensors need to be taken out when the headers are cooled. It will stripped when hot because heat expansion. Here in SoCal install is $500-600. O2 sensors only $125 each on Amazon.
Understood, just sharing what other members have posted. Yes, you can get them off Amazon for $125 each, but not sure most people can wait that long if the sensors are stripped and their cars are out of commission without them so they may be forced to buy them at a dealer or a local parts house.
Old 05-25-16, 07:33 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flowrider
I had my PPE headers (the original one where the dipstick had to be moved) for 5 years with no issues. Sold them to a forum member. After removal they still looked great except for the scratches caused by the install and removal. They were mild steel with the silver JetHot ceramic coating.

Lou
Thanks Lou, that's reassuring to hear about the mild steel headers

Originally Posted by St4nc3
That's strange because I spoke to Paul from PPE and he quoted me on a mild steel header ceramic coated. Which then means they still are producing them maybe at a special request
I'll have to call them again, see below?

See above, contradictory and also what Chris in the warehouse told me..... so I'll have to call again and get a straight answer from them

Originally Posted by jspecvtec
Thanks I'll definitely think about getting the sensors just in case, would hate to have the car on the lift and not be able to get the old ones off and then have to wait until new O2 sensors come in
Old 05-25-16, 06:19 PM
St4nc3
Lead Lap

Hey guys just thought I'd share this with you guys. I just placed my order with Paul from PPE and this was his response about not carrying mild steel headers,

Old 05-25-16, 07:06 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Ok they're just made to order then? I'll have to call them and get a quote......

Thx
Old 05-26-16, 06:25 AM
St4nc3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Ok they're just made to order then? I'll have to call them and get a quote......

Thx
No problem man, glad I can help. I know few guys would still like to get the Mild steel headers.
Old 05-26-16, 08:20 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Understood, just sharing what other members have posted. Yes, you can get them off Amazon for $125 each, but not sure most people can wait that long if the sensors are stripped and their cars are out of commission without them so they may be forced to buy them at a dealer or a local parts house.
Buy before, prime shipping. Bring with u to shop. If u need it use it, if u don't, bring it home and return it to Amazon. Easy peasy. Exactly how I did it....

Quick Reply: Comparison opinions on Mild Steel vs Stainless Steel Headers...