IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wanting opinions. Get 2011+ ISF or CTS-V.

Old 05-20-16, 10:15 AM
Rican3kgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting opinions. Get 2011+ ISF or CTS-V.

Hey guys was just wanting your input on these two cars. I owned a 2012 ISF for like 6 months and sold a few months ago cause i didn't really drive and got the wifey a new ES and I took her RX. So i need something i can enjoy more than this SUV. I really loved my ISF but aftermarket parts are pretty limited on that car including the new ECU upgrade. I'm really not that familiar with the CTS-V but i know i will start off with over a 100 more HP plus plenty of upgrades. I love that i know i can count on the reliability of Lexus and that is a big factor. Any input you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Rican3kgt; 05-20-16 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-20-16, 10:31 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

How much are you looking to spend? Have you thought about a C63? If reliability is of importance to you then the CTS-V probably isn't your car. Plus it's a major gas guzzler. I'm sure current CTS-V owners will chime in.
Old 05-20-16, 10:32 AM
Eedo123
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my IS-F just about as much as any other owner here, but if you are talking about the new 2016 CTS-V, then I wouldn't hesitate to get the V, it's simply better.
Old 05-20-16, 10:35 AM
Rican3kgt
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the 40-45k range which by what I have been seeing is what the 2012 cost for both ISF and CTS-V.
Old 05-20-16, 10:35 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Diesel350
How much are you looking to spend? Have you thought about a C63? If reliability is of importance to you then the CTS-V probably isn't your car. Plus it's a major gas guzzler. I'm sure current CTS-V owners will chime in.
If reliability is of importance, then the C63 probably isn't your car either.
Old 05-20-16, 10:39 AM
Rican3kgt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tgui
Lol that is what I was thinking but I'm not a Mercedes expert, it was just what i had heard.
Old 05-20-16, 10:39 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tgui
Reliability and quality are far above Cadillac.
Old 05-20-16, 10:40 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 172 Posts

Just curious, but have you asked this question in the Cadillac CTS-V forums?! 99% of thr members here are going to say get the F...that's why we're all here! I personally LOVE mine to death and don't think there's much better out there for an OVERALL packaged car for the money...4 doors, decent trunk and interior space, decent interior, excellent exterior design (my opinion), good power, good reliability, holds value well, decent aftermarket support, rare, good handling, etc etc etc. Sure there are cars that look better. Sure there are cars that are even more rare. Sure there are cars that have more power, etc. But again, as a whole package, for the money, hard to beat the F.
BUT, with all of that said, I think you should go with the Caddy. For one, you have already had the F and obviously didn't like it enough to keep it...the next one will be no different. Secondly, you're already a lil disappointed in the lack of aftermarket support for the F and arroused by the amount of aftermarket support for the V. In this rare instance, I will recommend the V to you😉!
Good luck!

V.
Old 05-20-16, 10:43 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Might want to keep a look out for this:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...aro-zl1-models

General Motors has discovered a problem with the supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V-8s fitted to certain versions of the Cadillac CTS-V and Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. The affected models are all 2009-2013 CTS-Vs and all 2012-2013 Camaro ZL1s.

According to the automaker, the engine's supercharger may not be functioning properly, causing the unit to develop a noticeable rattle noise at idle. The noise will normally go away when the engine revs start to rise, but the problem, if left unresolved, may lead to contamination of the internal shaft bearing grease and cause the bearing to squeal over time. This could lead to the bearing overheating, which in turn could cause the engine to seize or simply fail to start.
Old 05-20-16, 10:49 AM
Rican3kgt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Just curious, but have you asked this question in the Cadillac CTS-V forums?! 99% of thr members here are going to say get the F...that's why we're all here! I personally LOVE mine to death and don't think there's much better out there for an OVERALL packaged car for the money...4 doors, decent trunk and interior space, decent interior, excellent exterior design (my opinion), good power, good reliability, holds value well, decent aftermarket support, rare, good handling, etc etc etc. Sure there are cars that look better. Sure there are cars that are even more rare. Sure there are cars that have more power, etc. But again, as a whole package, for the money, hard to beat the F.
BUT, with all of that said, I think you should go with the Caddy. For one, you have already had the F and obviously didn't like it enough to keep it...the next one will be no different. Secondly, you're already a lil disappointed in the lack of aftermarket support for the F and arroused by the amount of aftermarket support for the V. In this rare instance, I will recommend the V to you😉!
Good luck!

V.
Actually I just registered on one of their forums to ask the same questions because yes I know it would be a biased opinion but I was hoping that maybe some of the members here may have owned one before that could give the own personal input and comparison. I'm actually leaning more towards the ISF because of reliability because honestly I don't have the money to keep paying for the car to be in the shop. Thanks for your opinion.
Old 05-20-16, 10:56 AM
Rican3kgt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Might want to keep a look out for this:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...aro-zl1-models

General Motors has discovered a problem with the supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V-8s fitted to certain versions of the Cadillac CTS-V and Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. The affected models are all 2009-2013 CTS-Vs and all 2012-2013 Camaro ZL1s.

According to the automaker, the engine's supercharger may not be functioning properly, causing the unit to develop a noticeable rattle noise at idle. The noise will normally go away when the engine revs start to rise, but the problem, if left unresolved, may lead to contamination of the internal shaft bearing grease and cause the bearing to squeal over time. This could lead to the bearing overheating, which in turn could cause the engine to seize or simply fail to start.
Good find man, thanks. This is the kind of stuff that I was wanting to help make my decision.
Old 05-20-16, 10:57 AM
Kojak77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove both before buying the ISF, and a close friend has a 2011 CTS-V coupe. He likes it, and it is faster than the ISF, but he always comments on how much nicer the ISF is overall, and how much crisper the transmission is in the ISF.

Like mentioned above, the CTS-V is a total pig on gas, so if you even care remotely about operating costs, that could be a significant deterrent.
Old 05-20-16, 11:33 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Regarding aftermarket,

How fast are you planning on making your car anyways?

For me, 1/4 mile in the 11s and trapping 120mph with bolt-ons and tune on street tire is plenty fast for me, seems to be where the ISF is currently sitting...well that is until until RR Racing releases their supercharger kit.
Old 05-20-16, 11:37 AM
Rican3kgt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kojak77
I drove both before buying the ISF, and a close friend has a 2011 CTS-V coupe. He likes it, and it is faster than the ISF, but he always comments on how much nicer the ISF is overall, and how much crisper the transmission is in the ISF.

Like mentioned above, the CTS-V is a total pig on gas, so if you even care remotely about operating costs, that could be a significant deterrent.
Thanks for input, yeah it wouldn't be my daily so gas is not a super big deal.
Old 05-20-16, 11:41 AM
Rican3kgt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Regarding aftermarket,

How fast are you planning on making your car anyways?

For me, 1/4 mile in the 11s and trapping 120mph with bolt-ons and tune on street tire is plenty fast for me, seems to be where the ISF is currently sitting...well that is until until RR Racing releases their supercharger kit.
Wasn't aware that a SC kit was going to be avail, that's good to know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanting opinions. Get 2011+ ISF or CTS-V.