Brake noise at 18k?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 12:50 AM
HughB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake noise at 18k?

Hi guys,

I got my 2011 ISF with 17k miles. About a month ago it started to make noise under light braking. No noise under heavy braking. I know the ISF go through brake and tires like crazy but at 18k miles? I know the previous owner was a pretty conservative driver. What been your experiences with brake change intervals?

What pads and rotors do you guys recommend for a new set? Thanks!!
Old 05-18-16, 05:06 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Obviously, brake pad & rotor change intervals will vary based on your driving habits, but I'd be surprised if your rotors are ready for replacement.. I'm still on my OEM rotors at 43K, and that includes three track days.

If they're OEM pads, some low speed noise is not uncommon. Measure the pad thickness to see if there's still life in them. If so, a good cleaning, plus a re-lube with the OEM Brembo goop or a copper-based anti-seize should help with the noise.

Replacement parts will also depend on your driving habits.. If you're not looking for increased performance or weight savings, the OEM Brembo rotors are probably the best bang for your buck, especially if you shop around for deals (Amazon & eBay often have decent deals).

There are tons of pad options depending on how much you want to spend & what kind of performance & other attributes you're looking for (like noise/dust). If you only do street driving, & don't mind giving up a some initial bite, I recommend the Project Mu NS400.. They're somewhat pricey, but in my experience they've been completely silent and virtually dust free.

I'm currently running the Project Mu HC+800 since I need something more suited for track days. I like these pads too. They're quiet once properly bedded, and they can take some pretty good abuse. The only downside is they're pretty dusty with aggressive use, but that's something you're probably going to get with just about any track oriented pad.

-Mike
Old 05-18-16, 06:25 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Is it a high pitched sound? Try going 30-40 mph and braking hard. You may have "crystalized" brake dust that needs to be "broken".
Old 05-18-16, 08:09 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Talked with my lexus tech about this.

A few things.

1. high friction break pads will cause noise from time to time. Mine do them as well and im clocking 17,500 miles

2. They could be extremely dirty. In this case obviously clean, but go about 40 and hit the breaks hard, dont do it so you break traction but just enough to scrub all the dirt, grime and build up. This should do the trick.

3. break cleaner always works as well but doesnt last long.

Hope this helped.
Old 05-18-16, 10:32 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The high pitch squeal you are hearing is actually caused by metal to metal vibration, and in a lot of cases it is not from the pad on rotor contact. I believe it to be from the shim and piston contact, or a contact that holds the pad. Apply grease on the contact areas of the pad to where it is seated, and more importantly grease the area of the shim that contacts the piston. I had squealing at low speed braking when I bought my car and just couldn't stand it anymore, I took out the rear pads and the Lexus tech greased the area between the shim and pad which is incorrect; and he should of greased between the shim and piston. This area is where a lot of vibration takes place because the pad+shim itself is free moving and not necessarily stuck to the piston at all times, and if there is little to no grease between these two parts, you can get significant metal to metal vibration. A ton of people do not grease their pads correctly or don't know how.

Keep in mind also that these are Brembo brakes. Brembo outlines a specific grease for their brakes, but it is very expensive. I also believe Lexus dealerships are unaware and don't carry or use this type of grease. Lobux recommended a copper based variant. I used that and it works. My brakes no longer make a peep at low speed.

INCORRECT

CORRECT

Last edited by Fsport2UR; 05-18-16 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 11:28 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
The high pitch squeal you are hearing is actually caused by metal to metal vibration, and in a lot of cases it is not from the pad on rotor contact. I believe it to be from the shim and piston contact, or a contact that holds the pad. Apply grease on the contact areas of the pad to where it is seated, and more importantly grease the area of the shim that contacts the piston. I had squealing at low speed braking when I bought my car and just couldn't stand it anymore, I took out the rear pads and the Lexus tech greased the area between the shim and pad which is incorrect; and he should of greased between the shim and piston. This area is where a lot of vibration takes place because the pad+shim itself is free moving and not necessarily stuck to the piston at all times, and if there is little to no grease between these two parts, you can get significant metal to metal vibration. A ton of people do not grease their pads correctly or don't know how.

Keep in mind also that these are Brembo brakes. Brembo outlines a specific grease for their brakes, but it is very expensive. I also believe Lexus dealerships are unaware and don't carry or use this type of grease. Lobux recommended a copper based variant. I used that and it works. My brakes no longer make a peep at low speed.

INCORRECT

CORRECT
Holy crap.. Thanks for this. I've taken my car 3 times to the dealer and they kept telling me it was 'an aspect of performance brakes'. Do you happen to know what the part number or what the grease is called from brembo? Also, how often are you supposed to apply the grease?

Like many of you, I have a high pitched squeal at very low-speed braking (stop and go traffic and stop signs in neighborhoods). Mine is focused on the passenger-rear for some reason..
Old 05-18-16, 11:57 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
Holy crap.. Thanks for this. I've taken my car 3 times to the dealer and they kept telling me it was 'an aspect of performance brakes'. Do you happen to know what the part number or what the grease is called from brembo? Also, how often are you supposed to apply the grease?

Like many of you, I have a high pitched squeal at very low-speed braking (stop and go traffic and stop signs in neighborhoods). Mine is focused on the passenger-rear for some reason..
I'm experiencing what you are experiencing now. I only hear my passenger rear's as well.
Old 05-18-16, 12:51 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I asked this question of Forum Sponsor SpeedFreaks and received the following reply:

There are a couple surfaces that need to be lubricated by a dry lubricant after they are cleaned of rust and debris: One is the small contact area between the caliper housing and the brake pad edge guides, the other is the back of the shim where the piston contacts the shim. Both should have a thin layer applied. In the odd case where the shim is sliding on the backing plate of the pad, you can place something there as well.. But the shim should not be loose, it should be static and typically the backing plate of the pad is painted - which will burn off from track abuse, as will the dry lubricant. So this all applies only to street use.
The recommend the product pictured below.

This is not what I used when I did my brakes. I used regular Permatex brake caliper lube. I'll know better next time But I do not have noise. I have Ferodo DS2500 pads in front and ProjectMu TYPE HC+ 800 pads in back. I also have slotted rotors in front, stock rotors in back. I absolutely luv my brake system

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Brake noise at 18k?-unnamed.jpg  
Old 05-18-16, 02:46 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3

Lobuxracer recommended two. Both are copper based like the Brembo grease. You can find both on Amazon.
  • Copaslip Antiseize Assembly Compound 3471
  • 3M™ Copper Anti-Seize Brake Lube 08945

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post6542349
Old 05-18-16, 03:40 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
Lobuxracer recommended two. Both are copper based like the Brembo grease. You can find both on Amazon.
  • Copaslip Antiseize Assembly Compound 3471
  • 3M™ Copper Anti-Seize Brake Lube 08945

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post6542349
I've been using this one from Permatex..

Permatex 09128 Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant, 8 oz. Permatex 09128 Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant, 8 oz.

-Mike
Old 05-19-16, 01:07 AM
HughB
Driver School Candidate

Wow! Great information guys, thank you!
Old 05-19-16, 08:32 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using this Honda part number:
08798-9027

Which is "Brembo Grease" - It comes in a toothpaste sized container - It looks and feels as tacky / copper as the one supplied with OEM IS-F pads.
Anyone else tried this part number?

Cost me $40 bucks though but I figured they give you a lot and it will last me multiple changes + more
Old 05-19-16, 08:42 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weird, the instructions show the arrows as stated in the picture???
Old 05-19-16, 10:08 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Well, the proper way to lube the shims seems to be all over the place

The Grease mentioned in the post above seems to be unique to the ISF:

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...998-94072.html

Lou
Old 05-31-16, 10:47 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Response from Speed Freaks in another thread:

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Let me preface this by saying I never use shims on any of my vehicles but I have always been taught to apply the anti-squeel between the shim and the backplate if you're going to use it. I don't think there is any "problem" with also putting on the backside of the shim that comes in contact with the pistons other than it making a little bit of a mess.

-Matt M.
Lou

Quick Reply: Brake noise at 18k?