IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Everone needs to read this!!! Exhaust smell/ML Sound/Remote Start tips!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 06:16 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
I disagree, since most of the OEM aux capabilities suck. In theory, it's better, but the hardware doesn't back it up. I noticed in my last several cars that the bluetooth was higher quality.
I have to COMPLETELY AGREE WITH this above ^^^^^^^!
I STOPPED using USB AUX BECAUSE BT SOUNDS BETTER IN THE CAR.
I do however use ANALOGUE INPUTwith DSD DAC and it sounds great.

USB AUX has a kind of shrill grating quality to the sound that I quite dislike.

BT for sound quality AND convenience
Old 05-23-16, 11:22 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdave86
So I tried positioning the fader to where you suggested, and it actually sounds somewhat "hollow" to me. It might be because I just upgraded the rear speakers and the fronts are weaker. Instead I placed it where the front of the headrest is in the pic and that improved the sound quite a bit. After I change the front speakers I might try moving it forward again
Would you provide what was done and results?

Rear speakers (which brand/model) were upgraded.. what about amp/LOC/sub?

I am considering upgrade front speakers.. don't know the results are worth the effort.. it seems most of the mid are coming out of the centre speaker which you can't really upgrade.

Currently upgraded with JL amp and JL Sub..
Old 05-23-16, 11:30 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Would you provide what was done and results?

Rear speakers (which brand/model) were upgraded.. what about amp/LOC/sub?

I am considering upgrade front speakers.. don't know the results are worth the effort.. it seems most of the mid are coming out of the centre speaker which you can't really upgrade.

Currently upgraded with JL amp and JL Sub..
The only thing I have changed is the speaker and tweeter in the rear doors. They were replaced with Infinity Kappa component system.

http://www.infinityspeakers.com/spea...=Black#start=1

Next will be the front doors. with the same brand, and MAYBE the amp. i'm not trying to go crazy with a setup nor do I need more bass than the system already provides
Old 05-23-16, 12:58 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pharnhyte
I had my car for about a year, and its had two issues that really bothered me. The first being the fact that if I had one window or the just the sunroof open, the smell of the exhaust would overwhelm the car. Yes my guts were catted, so I attributed it to that, and yes I purchased brand new Bosal exhaust gaskets, which got rid of a small exhaust leak but didn't do anything for the smell. The second problem was the fact that the Mark Levinson system sounded absolutely terrible.

I stumbled across this thread, that got completely derailed by name calling: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ot-solved.html

I decided to take a look at my vents, and to my amazement, on both sides my flaps were completely gone. Now, on most cars, this isn't a big deal, however on the IS-F, the exhaust tips DO NOT extend past the bumper, so all of this time I was smelling my exhaust fumes through the trunk, and giving me and my passengers Carbon Monoxide poising in the process, though I rarely drove with all of the windows up. So I taped mine up, and I'm going to order new ones. I drove the car to work last night, with just the sunroof open, and alternating it with just one window at a time being open, and I DID NOT smell the exhaust at all, for the first time since I've owned the car.

Now I know a lot of you might jump on the fact that the Roof Side Ventilators are very important, and yes I am sure they are, however I rather have mine taped off for a few days until the new ones arrive then run the risk of getting Carbon Monoxide poising which you can't smell, and well smelling my exhaust all the time. My car has less then 70K on it, and it was a Florida car, so it hasn't been exposed to the winter at all, and my flaps were completely going, so everyone, just do yourself a favor and just remove the covers in your trunk on each side, and look at them. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for the occupants in your car.

Here is the replacement part, so check, and order away: http://www.oemautopartsandaccessorie...fda5abfe3bccd/

Now, the Mark Levinson system IMO was an absolute disappointment. I had been looking into small powered subwoofers for awhile to fix the lack of bass, and my friend who has been doing car audio systems for years, commented on it as well while he was putting a REMOTE START IN MY IS-F. One day I was bored, and messing with the settings, and it turns out when I changed the output to a front bias, instead of in the middle, it made it sound 32x better. Perfect highs, great mids, the mirrors shake now at my favorite EDM/Rap tracks etc. I'm completely happy with it now, so go into your settings, and move the fade control about half way past center to the front!!!!

Yes you can do a remote start with the IS-F. I have a two way Code Alarm CA4554 which is designed to work with cars with push button starts. I use the factory fob to lock and unlock the door, the remote start is just there for starting the car, and it opens the drivers side door when I instruct it to, and after I close the door, I wait about 5 seconds, press the brake, and I'm able to drive off.

http://www.voxxelectronics.com/code-alarm/remote-start/

Happy Motoring
Steve
haha. lack of bass is so not accurate.
accurate bass is the reality.
what u are looking for is excessive bass to mud the nice warm mids and subtle highs of good music.
Old 05-17-21, 03:03 PM
ELexis
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by av8or
no need to take bumper off.. open my thread op has posted.. they are located underneath the left and side trays on your rear trunk.. drivers side is easy to remove and install.. passenger side takes a little bit of effort since it is underneath the amp..
I understand this to be an older post however, currently in the process of replacing the vents and would like to know av8or, how you were able to install the replacement vent (driver's side as shown in photo below), without at least removing one side of the bumper cover. I've tried installing vie trunk and unable to align it properly with the opening.

Old 05-17-21, 06:40 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ELexis
I understand this to be an older post however, currently in the process of replacing the vents and would like to know av8or, how you were able to install the replacement vent (driver's side as shown in photo below), without at least removing one side of the bumper cover. I've tried installing vie trunk and unable to align it properly with the opening.
I forgot which side has the amp, but if the driver side has the amp in the way, you have to get it out of the way as much as you can so you can fit your hands down there and finesse the new vent. I believe some one mentioned they used a piece of speaker wire to pull it so the clip/lip will fit in place. I remember trying to find the right angle reaching behind the bumper and then back in the trunk... eventually got it into place, but wish I wouldve used fishing line/speaker wire to help assist in the process.
Old 05-17-21, 08:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
I forgot which side has the amp, but if the driver side has the amp in the way, you have to get it out of the way as much as you can so you can fit your hands down there and finesse the new vent. I believe some one mentioned they used a piece of speaker wire to pull it so the clip/lip will fit in place. I remember trying to find the right angle reaching behind the bumper and then back in the trunk... eventually got it into place, but wish I wouldve used fishing line/speaker wire to help assist in the process.
I did it with stork pliers. Piece of cake.
Old 05-17-21, 11:27 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 251 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ELexis

@ELexis For me, the trick was to reach up from the fender area (outside) and balance the lower lip of the plastic housing on the "window" (cutout) in the body. I did this "blind", by touch. Then, from inside the trunk, pull the top of the plastic housing towards you until the top two clips/prongs "click" into place. More details in this thread.

New vents can be installed without removing the trunk liner, but the job sure is easier with liner removed, especially on the passenger side with the ML amp. Next time around, I will just remove the liner.
The following users liked this post:
WhyHateTho (05-18-21)
Old 05-18-21, 01:55 AM
ELexis
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts

Thank you all for following up, I appreciate your time and doing so!! I was able to install the vent located on driver's side, by doing exactly what ChpEng stated! I didn't remove the trunk liner however, agree doing so will allow more space. Will attempt the driver's side next. I've also posted inquiry here as well with additional photos;

Found out why our IS 250, IS350 and ISF audio amps fail.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...amps-fail.html