Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 08:34 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Max16
Did you put some miles on them?
I haven't gotten them yet. I just got the call they are in but probably won't get them installed until tomorrow morning. I'll give my impressions after the break in period. I was wanting the PS4S tires, but I can not get them in time. For $700 installed, I'm willing to give these a try.
Old 02-22-17, 07:00 AM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
I haven't gotten them yet. I just got the call they are in but probably won't get them installed until tomorrow morning. I'll give my impressions after the break in period. I was wanting the PS4S tires, but I can not get them in time. For $700 installed, I'm willing to give these a try.
Where are you getting these for $700 installed? The lowest price I can find is $661 on tirerack before shipping and tax.
Old 02-22-17, 07:22 AM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
These have been out in Japan for about a year now branded as a Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003. It is beyond me why they chose to brand this as a Firestone in the US but they did. They also chose to keep the same exact name as the tire old tire it replaces (firehawk indy 500) which will cause a lot of confusion considering they are *completely* different tires from a different lineage in Bridgestone's tire family. I plan to pick up a set to try out for giggles. So far the feedback in Japan looks really good, they should be a little more aggressive than most other tires in the max and UHP category and they should be able to handle some track use without chunking (unlike most other tires in the max and UHP category). They kind of remind me of a baby Potenza RE-11. If you follow tires closely these are actually in the same family as the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 sport, (aka Adrenalin RE001 in Japan) just two generations newer since they never brought the last generation tire (Adrenalin RE002) over to the US.

-Matt M.
Can you offer a long term update on how these tires have been?
Old 02-22-17, 12:56 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AndrewISF
Where are you getting these for $700 installed? The lowest price I can find is $661 on tirerack before shipping and tax.
Firestone was doing a $100 off for Presidents Day sale. I took advantage of it. Unfortunately, they scratched three of out the four wheels in the process of installing the tires. The guy obviously didn't know what he was doing so now they have to pay to get my wheels repaired. Just another headache.
Old 02-24-17, 09:49 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewISF
Can you offer a long term update on how these tires have been?
I never actually ended up picking up a set for myself since I came up on a deal for a few sets of Pirelli Corsas for silly cheap. I still plan on trying a set of the Firestones once I burn through these but it'll probably be another year or so at least. I did get a chance to try them on one of my student's cars at a track event back in December but I can't give a full impression because I was not driving the car very hard (not my car and I didn't want to break anything). They felt fairly sticky for a true street tire and subjectively better (more responsive and communicative) than most of the other top tires in the UHP and max performance summer categories (including everyone's favorite, the MPSS). On the street I don't doubt they will produce a little more NVH than most others in the category but that's usually the tradeoff when you make a stiffer casing.

-Matt M.
Old 03-08-17, 08:52 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Just wanted to post an update. I'm just past the 500 mile break in on the tires. I will tell you the experience of dealing with Firestone is enough to turn me off of these tires. I'll order them through Tire Rack next time and let someone else install them. Firestone demolished all four of my wheels while mounting these tires. They ended up paying to get all four wheels refinished so I guess it wasn't the end of the world for me. Just lost time.

As for the tires, so far they have plenty of grip but that could be the fact I went from OEM sizes to 245/35 front and 275/30 rear. I will say the Michelin's have more feedback through the steering wheel than these tires, but looking past that the tires have been good so far. They are far quieter than the PSS tires as far as road noise. I noticed I have turned my radio way down compared to when I had the PSS's. I plan to take them on a mountain run once the weather warms up a little bit. My only gripe with these tires, they flat spot easily. Overnight in the garage, it takes a few miles to get them smooth again. I know others have mentioned the same deal with these tires. The ride feels stiffer than than the PSS's but again, that could be attributed to the new sizes, lower profile tires.

For $600 bucks, I really can't complain. Would I buy them again? Only time will tell, still fresh on a new set.

Last edited by PatrickISF; 03-08-17 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-08-17, 08:54 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your short review.
I also went and bought a set. Still snowy here so will not have a chance to ride them till another month...
Old 03-08-17, 04:44 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went to Firestone a few time like over 15 years ago, nothing major, oil etc. but the one time I took my 91 Foxbody for an alignment, they said they had to drill some holes to align correctly: i ended up paying an additional $60 bucks. this is before i really knew(not that i'm an expert) before working on my cars, etc and suspension, alignments etc. I knew it was BS and i was waiting to buy caster/camber plates, but said, WTH, i don't want any issues with the steering. in other words, I wouldn't let Firestone touch my car(s) unless its an emergency or if i need air in my tires.
Old 03-09-17, 11:19 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Just wanted to post an update. I'm just past the 500 mile break in on the tires. I will tell you the experience of dealing with Firestone is enough to turn me off of these tires. I'll order them through Tire Rack next time and let someone else install them. Firestone demolished all four of my wheels while mounting these tires. They ended up paying to get all four wheels refinished so I guess it wasn't the end of the world for me. Just lost time.

As for the tires, so far they have plenty of grip but that could be the fact I went from OEM sizes to 245/35 front and 275/30 rear. I will say the Michelin's have more feedback through the steering wheel than these tires, but looking past that the tires have been good so far. They are far quieter than the PSS tires as far as road noise. I noticed I have turned my radio way down compared to when I had the PSS's. I plan to take them on a mountain run once the weather warms up a little bit. My only gripe with these tires, they flat spot easily. Overnight in the garage, it takes a few miles to get them smooth again. I know others have mentioned the same deal with these tires. The ride feels stiffer than than the PSS's but again, that could be attributed to the new sizes, lower profile tires.

For $600 bucks, I really can't complain. Would I buy them again? Only time will tell, still fresh on a new set.
Sorry you had to deal with Firestone. I learned that lesson a while back and now only take my nice wheels to shops with touch-less machines and techs who are used to dealing with stiff and short sidewalls and/or more expensive wheels. Most of the less expensive places hire people who aren't trained very well and will treat your wheels the same way they treat any cheap steel wheel with hubcaps. At least they paid for yours to get refinished... you are the minority.

As far as the tires go I want to point out a few things that validate what you're feeling- for any given wheel width, putting wider tires on will reduce feel and feedback since the wider tire is less supported. Also that new tires will always feel more numb and comfortable/quiet than worn tires. I tend to buy tires in bulk since I go through so many ( ) and after running several sets of the same tires in the same sizes back to back to back I've noticed a few things. To me the car always feels like garbage being driven aggressively when the tires are brand new. It's great ultimate grip and most tires are fastest new but everything just feels softer and mushier since at full tread depth there is so much tread squirm. It's not until 6-7/32" tread depth that a lot of the feel and feedback starts to come back but the car will always "feel" best and most response with only 1-2/32" tread depth. Of course as they wear they wear the NVH goes up on the street too but it's to be expected.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 03-09-17 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-10-17, 07:55 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Sorry you had to deal with Firestone. I learned that lesson a while back and now only take my nice wheels to shops with touch-less machines and techs who are used to dealing with stiff and short sidewalls and/or more expensive wheels. Most of the less expensive places hire people who aren't trained very well and will treat your wheels the same way they treat any cheap steel wheel with hubcaps. At least they paid for yours to get refinished... you are the minority.

As far as the tires go I want to point out a few things that validate what you're feeling- for any given wheel width, putting wider tires on will reduce feel and feedback since the wider tire is less supported. Also that new tires will always feel more numb and comfortable/quiet than worn tires. I tend to buy tires in bulk since I go through so many ( ) and after running several sets of the same tires in the same sizes back to back to back I've noticed a few things. To me the car always feels like garbage being driven aggressively when the tires are brand new. It's great ultimate grip and most tires are fastest new but everything just feels softer and mushier since at full tread depth there is so much tread squirm. It's not until 6-7/32" tread depth that a lot of the feel and feedback starts to come back but the car will always "feel" best and most response with only 1-2/32" tread depth. Of course as they wear they wear the NVH goes up on the street too but it's to be expected.

-Matt M.
Thanks Matt, that totally makes sense! Like I said, I'll reserve a more formal review once I've gotten some wear into these tires but so far so good!
Old 03-10-17, 11:35 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Glad to hear they took care of you. As far as the tires im afraid of Firestone because my brother handled many law suits for clients injured or killed in those accidents with firestone tires back in the day. I know it was a long time ago but it's been a turn off and I don't they ever rebounded fully from it.
Old 03-10-17, 01:24 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Glad to hear they took care of you. As far as the tires im afraid of Firestone because my brother handled many law suits for clients injured or killed in those accidents with firestone tires back in the day. I know it was a long time ago but it's been a turn off and I don't they ever rebounded fully from it.
Well... technically this tire is under the Bridgestone line at least in Japan. They just brought them here as a Firestone --- why in the world they did that doesn't make sense to me. If it wasn't a Bridgestone tire I wouldn't have even looked at this one.
Old 03-10-17, 02:12 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Well... technically this tire is under the Bridgestone line at least in Japan. They just brought them here as a Firestone --- why in the world they did that doesn't make sense to me. If it wasn't a Bridgestone tire I wouldn't have even looked at this one.
Same here.
Old 03-26-17, 07:32 AM
StiLLmatiK
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I went with the 245/275 combo. Went to get them installed yesterday and the rears 275 would not fit on 08-09 stock wheels. Smh.
Old 03-26-17, 01:48 PM
Fsport416
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firehawk 500

Got these tires as well. So far no regrets and I don't miss the PSS tires I had before. Great for DD and canyon runs. Grip is "as good as" the Michelin. However the PSS has a bit more feedback. Ride comfort is better than the PSS, still bumpy but not as bone jarring. I can corner with more confidence without upsetting the car. Especially on socal's broken roads. Plus, cant beat the price. It was nice not having to spend over grand for tires

Last edited by Fsport416; 03-26-17 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Tires