IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

who has had coolant leak around valley plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 07:20 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Ok thanks for the feedback^^^I'll check with the dealership hopefully here sometime soon....
Old 07-28-16, 04:41 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm the latest victim, 2010 with 72k miles. I've reported loss of heat and missing coolant and they just refilled and said no leaks. This was before my power train warranty was up. Today my temp gauge kept fluctuating so I brought it in. They said the leak was at the valley plate. I told them how displeased I was they didn't catch this before the powertrain was up. They told me they would bring it up to the manager tomorrow to work with me on the price. Original quote is 10 hours of labor, $1500. Really could have done without that considering I just closed on a new house. Ugh!
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (12-17-20)
Old 07-28-16, 05:32 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
I'm the latest victim, 2010 with 72k miles. I've reported loss of heat and missing coolant and they just refilled and said no leaks. This was before my power train warranty was up. Today my temp gauge kept fluctuating so I brought it in. They said the leak was at the valley plate. I told them how displeased I was they didn't catch this before the powertrain was up. They told me they would bring it up to the manager tomorrow to work with me on the price. Original quote is 10 hours of labor, $1500. Really could have done without that considering I just closed on a new house. Ugh!
i got mine done for less than that, it was $1200 including transmission oil pan
Old 07-28-16, 05:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Call Lexus. Tell them you noted the problem before your warranty expired and the dealership failed to properly diagnose the problem. They owe you the fix at no cost to you.
CamelKool (12-17-20)
Old 07-28-16, 05:39 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Call Lexus. Tell them you noted the problem before your warranty expired and the dealership failed to properly diagnose the problem. They owe you the fix at no cost to you.
Good idea, I will have to do that. Lexus Corporate?
CamelKool (12-17-20)
Old 07-28-16, 05:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes, corporate. It is inexcusable to say "we can't find the problem," refill the fluid, then tell you after the warranty is up, they found the problem.
CamelKool (12-17-20)
Old 07-28-16, 06:30 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
All I know is I have added half a gallon of coolant since halloween
I have added exactly half a gallon of coolant since March 14th

Originally Posted by torxuvin
It cost me about 800 to do it with the recall. The tech informed me that it occurred with the LS version of our v8 too. My car is a 2009 and it was done about 85k miles. Although to be frank, the car had the low coolant issue from when I bought it at 70k, they just told me it was fine and nothing to worry about with my PPI.
Yep just spoke with the tech today and he said that he has seen it before with the LS V8 but hadn't done an ISF as of yet

Good idea, I will have to do that. Lexus Corporate?
Coincidentally I just got my car back from the dealership today to diagnose the valley plate leak through a pressure test for the coolant system. I spoke with Lexus corporate before even taking it to the dealership and told them what I think the problem was and that I was just outside of my powertrain warranty at 70,500.

They told me that they need an official diagnosis of the issue at hand in writing from the dealership then they would send it to a case manager to look it over and decide if they will pay for the repair in total or go half with me on the repair.

So when I got the car back today and had confirmation that it was indeed the valley plate leak the dealership is doing everything they can documentation wise to get Lexus to cover the repair for me. It's a win-win situation for both the dealer/tech and me if Lexus will cover this as a good will gesture (fingers crossed)!?

The tech was actually able to find the leak without doing the pressure test on the coolant system by utilizing some long reach mirrors he was able to look around where it might be leaking and he found 2 spots where he could see the coolant coming out the backside down the transmission and another place.

I showed him some of the pics of others here who have had the repair and he said that mine will probably look just like theirs. He said it's unfortunate that Lexus has this issue and he said would be solved with a gasket instead of the adhesive! He said it was probably a cost cutting measure by Lexus as he doesn't see why they would opt to use adhesive instead of a gasket??

He drives a 93 LS400 and it has over 300k miles with no issues and said that they don't make them like they use to and it's unfortunate

I should be receiving a call back from my case manager at Lexus corporate either Monday or Tuesday at the latest next week to see what they will do about this situation to rectify this problem hopefully!?
Old 07-28-16, 11:30 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been reading a lot of differing opinions from various threads as to what's causing this leak. Some are saying it's improper application at the factory, others are saying it's poor sealant quality or wrong type of sealant. I had mine done recently and the master tech was telling me that the factory used the wrong type of sealant. The one they used during the recall is specific to coolant and he believes it shouldn't leak again. Part #08826-00100 which is the same as what lobuxracer quoted in another thread. Joe-z posted in a thread that his repair used part #00295-00103 which supercedes what I got. I asked the tech and he says this job calls for 0100 so that's what he ordered..

Not sure which sealant is best but I hope none of us have this leak again!
Old 07-28-16, 11:39 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I had my 08 leaking water pump fixed not too long ago at 37K. Then I noticed my coolant was at the low mark. Brought it back to the dealer at 39.5k miles and was told they couldn't find any leak and topped it off. I checked today and it's back at the low mark at 40k miles. Does this sound like it's the valley plate leak, or something else?
Old 07-29-16, 10:32 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Durrby
I had my 08 leaking water pump fixed not too long ago at 37K. Then I noticed my coolant was at the low mark. Brought it back to the dealer at 39.5k miles and was told they couldn't find any leak and topped it off. I checked today and it's back at the low mark at 40k miles. Does this sound like it's the valley plate leak, or something else?
Was your car affected by the fuel pressure sensor gasket recall? If it was and you've had this work done, the manifold would have been off and it would be obvious. If NOT affected, then yes, it absolutely does sound like you may have a valley plate leak.

A note on the sealants - if you go to Threebond's website, they call out the sealant Toyota specifies as being designed for coolant. They make distinctions about which sealants are best for which applications. The coolant sealant is the only one that says anything about sealing for coolant. All the rest are petrochemicals of some kind.
Old 07-29-16, 10:42 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I went for ELP recall last summer, the dealer told me I had a coolant leak and needed to replace my radiator ($1100). I did not see much pink residue when I got the car back and I also not see my temps going above 3 bars. I rejected the radiator service because I was skeptical.

What I had done was purchased a jug of Toyota coolant and topped it up. A week after the ELP recall, I went to my mechanic to have the hoses tighten up. Maybe I got lucky, but I have been checking my coolant every month since last year and I have not seen it dropped. No abnormal increases in temperatures either.
CamelKool (12-17-20)
Old 07-29-16, 10:47 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Many of us in the US got new radiators for the cooling fan bolt recall. I understand being skeptical about the radiator replacement when it's on your dime, but my experience with Toyota's plastic end cap radiators is, they die between 100k and 120k pretty routinely. My Supra has a PWR radiator because the top tank cracked at 117k miles.
Old 07-29-16, 11:15 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks lobuxracer, I'm almost at 55k but given the car is 8 years old I'm expecting more maintenance down the road
Old 07-29-16, 01:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Is there anybody out there who doesnt have the leak over 50k miles ?
Old 07-29-16, 01:17 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Many of us in the US got new radiators for the cooling fan bolt recall. I understand being skeptical about the radiator replacement when it's on your dime, but my experience with Toyota's plastic end cap radiators is, they die between 100k and 120k pretty routinely. My Supra has a PWR radiator because the top tank cracked at 117k miles.
Not really a Toyota specific problem. Plastic crimped on end caps just end up failing, period.

Quick Reply: who has had coolant leak around valley plate?