IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

who has had coolant leak around valley plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 06:02 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
this is 100% Lexus' fault and is 100% BS that people are being made to pay for it . I am taking mine in tomorrow. Excited to get it done at this point
Please report back with results. I'm sure my 2011 is leaking too. Reservoir is currently sitting at low when cold. When it gets warmed up it rises to full. The tech always tops it off for me, and it always drops to the low line. It's got to be going somewhere, no way it can evaporate that quickly. I'll have them check it out at the 60k service.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (12-17-20)
Old 05-22-16, 08:12 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope one day this will become a recall. Then all of us that paid to do this in the past would see reimbursement.

The manufacturing plant must have had a poor dispensing nozzle system + maybe too thin of an amount programmed.

Or unless the sealant properties fail over time.
CamelKool (12-17-20)
Old 05-23-16, 03:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey guys as some may know I took my monster in for the recall work yesterday . Got this today from the tech and SA . Also a pic of my 60k loaner . Totally worth the added cost of dealership service . Btw for those who say they are always too expensive they are doing my tranny flush and refill for only $300 ! Getting new pads , rotors , racing brake fluid , steal brake lines , service , transmission refill, and recall done for less than $800 . That's pretty damn good in my book considering my hands are clean and the amount if time and work going into the car
Attached Thumbnails who has had coolant leak around valley plate?-photo347.jpg   who has had coolant leak around valley plate?-photo4294966475.jpg  
Old 05-23-16, 04:36 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

So yours was leaking also..............did they say anything about a possible recall by Lexus for the Valley leak?!
Old 05-23-16, 04:40 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Please report back with results. I'm sure my 2011 is leaking too. Reservoir is currently sitting at low when cold. When it gets warmed up it rises to full. The tech always tops it off for me, and it always drops to the low line. It's got to be going somewhere, no way it can evaporate that quickly. I'll have them check it out at the 60k service.
This is exactly what mine does^^^^^^It sits at the low mark when cold, but immediately when I start the car within a couple minutes it rises up to the full mark??

Does anybody know why it does this? Is this normal for it to go from the low mark to full when the car is started?
CamelKool (12-17-20)
Old 05-23-16, 04:53 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
This is exactly what mine does^^^^^^It sits at the low mark when cold, but immediately when I start the car within a couple minutes it rises up to the full mark??

Does anybody know why it does this? Is this normal for it to go from the low mark to full when the car is started?
Yes, it's normal cause heat builds up, and as a result pressure builds. That's why you'll see the increase. Totally normal. (Just remember, DO NOT open the coolant reservoir cap when your car is still hot, or else you'll have coolant all over you + 2nd/3rd degree burns. Wait until your car is completely cold -takes a few hours, before opening the cap.)

What you should NOT be seeing is the fluid level go down after your car has been driven and the fluid fully warmed up. That's what was happening to my car that raised flags.

A good thing to do is take note of where your fluid level sits in the morning (prior to start). Your fluid should stay pretty consistent and be at the same level every time. Any drastic decrease (during cold) within a few weeks is an indicator that you may be leaking fluid. It's normal for fluid to slowly decrease over the months or years due to normal operation.
Old 05-23-16, 07:15 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the previous owner had the ELP recall done before i bought the car, so i looked up the service history and no mention of coolant leak. my level is fine, but i'll check again. should i call the dealer just to double check. i'm sure the guy WOULDN'T mention it to me before selling, but then again,.
Old 05-23-16, 08:13 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Yes, it's normal cause heat builds up, and as a result pressure builds. That's why you'll see the increase. Totally normal. (Just remember, DO NOT open the coolant reservoir cap when your car is still hot, or else you'll have coolant all over you + 2nd/3rd degree burns. Wait until your car is completely cold -takes a few hours, before opening the cap.)

What you should NOT be seeing is the fluid level go down after your car has been driven and the fluid fully warmed up. That's what was happening to my car that raised flags.

A good thing to do is take note of where your fluid level sits in the morning (prior to start). Your fluid should stay pretty consistent and be at the same level every time. Any drastic decrease (during cold) within a few weeks is an indicator that you may be leaking fluid. It's normal for fluid to slowly decrease over the months or years due to normal operation.
Well I just got home from dinner and checked the car before I left and it was at the low mark when cold, started it up couple minutes later fluid level was and the full mark, just checked now when I got home about 10 min ago went to the garage and checked the level and it's still at the full mark, will check tomorrow morning the level.

I guess what I don't get is if I have the valley plate leak and loosing fluid wouldn't the level be low when the car is warmed up and been driven around and not just when it sits over night?

Anyhow I'll keep an eye on it

I had the ELF recall done last July and there was no mention at the time that there was a leak around the valley plate, so if it indeed is the case now then its happened within the last 10 months.
Old 05-23-16, 08:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

All I know is I have added half a gallon of coolant since halloween
CamelKool (12-17-20)
Old 05-24-16, 07:47 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this problem with my F. They fixed it during the Fuel pressure seal recall or something. I think it was $900 bucks.
Old 05-24-16, 08:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

it was covered for me. I thought it was covered up to 100k. Might be wrong
Old 05-24-16, 08:25 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
it was covered for me. I thought it was covered up to 100k. Might be wrong
It's covered under powertrain warranty, which is 72 months or 70k miles, whichever comes first.
Old 05-25-16, 04:20 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It cost me about 800 to do it with the recall. The tech informed me that it occurred with the LS version of our v8 too. My car is a 2009 and it was done about 85k miles. Although to be frank, the car had the low coolant issue from when I bought it at 70k, they just told me it was fine and nothing to worry about with my PPI.
Old 05-25-16, 07:47 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kzlflash
It's covered under powertrain warranty, which is 72 months or 70k miles, whichever comes first.
I am coming up on both the six year and 70k here soon! Since this is covered under the powertrain warranty (didn't know that) and I take it to the dealership, is there an easy way for them (Tech(s)) to tell if it's leaking visibly? Or would they have to take things apart to see if it has the leak?

I just don't want to miss out if this is a warranty fix under the powertrain
Old 05-25-16, 07:10 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

If there's a noticeable decrease in your level when comparing (while cold), to the point where it's drastically noticeable, then there's likely a leak. Call up your dealer/SA and tell them the symptoms and see what they can do. If anything just clarify that you believe there may be a leak from either the waterpump or valleyplate, which is common with the F, and have them check it under warranty. If anything just have them confirm that if they find nothing wrong, you won't be charged.

I have no idea how hard it is to find the valleyplate leak, but within an hour or two of dropping off my car my SA called me back and confirmed there was a leak.

Quick Reply: who has had coolant leak around valley plate?