IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF vs. Audi

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16, 06:19 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

s6 with tune is stout. guy here at work as an apr tuned one. made 500/570 on dynojet
Old 05-04-16, 06:37 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a s4 for 4 days before I returned it and bought my ISF

What a piece of junk
Old 05-04-16, 07:26 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The TT RS is coming back too for 2017. Should be the price of a new RCF or so. 2.5 liter turbo at about 400 hp with awd.

I really like the some of the RS versions but they're plagued with problems. The most recent RS4 required an upper engine breakdown for cleaning because of the fuel injection system. I nearly got caught in that trap...
Old 05-04-16, 07:37 AM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This made me laugh -

"I think the IS-F has a different buyer than an S4. The kind of person (teenager) who worships the Nissan 350Z."
Old 05-04-16, 07:47 AM
clochner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
Haters gonna hate. Those Audi guys are mad because they're always at the dealership getting their car fixed
Actually, Audi sits atop the latest Consumer Reports survey, and Lexus is at number three. Audi has also ranked in the top five in that same survey for the last several years. So I think you're confusing what may have been Audi's reputation a decade ago for what is actually the case now.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ands/80808192/

Last edited by clochner; 05-04-16 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-04-16, 08:15 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Seeing how that thread is from 2010 is means little especially now with more sports cars coming with 8 speed transmissions.

That being said I owned an Audi once. 05/06 A3 2.0T hatch. Fast fun little car (fancy GTI) but the interior was garbage. Door panels eventually started falling apart. Headliner started falling and many other interior nit bits were just junk. All of this started happening right after it fell out of warranty. Engine wise it wasn't awful. Had some recalls but no big issues. Just oil changes.

I love their interiors on their newer cars but I cant chance going through that interior falling to pieces nightmare again.
Old 05-04-16, 08:30 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

I've always liked Audis. If they would make another S or RS wagon available in the US I'd consider one but I still appreciate the current S3 and S4 sedans.

It's true though, even though I'm 35, I'm still a minor at heart. I'll probably never reach the level of sophistication necessary to truly understand what Audi is about.
Old 05-04-16, 11:00 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by imp0rted1
s6 with tune is stout. guy here at work as an apr tuned one. made 500/570 on dynojet
Agreed, my buddies APR tuned S6 is ridiculous. Not many people can say they run 11's in a luxobarge with the seat massagers running.

I love german cars, they currently outnumber the ISF. Lexus owners clinging to the reliability card is getting kind of old FYI. Did it play a role in buying my DD, yes, but it doesn't trump the performance that the german car makers clearly have a good handle on. Just my opinion.
Old 05-04-16, 11:51 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FFM
Agreed, my buddies APR tuned S6 is ridiculous. Not many people can say they run 11's in a luxobarge with the seat massagers running.

I love german cars, they currently outnumber the ISF. Lexus owners clinging to the reliability card is getting kind of old FYI. Did it play a role in buying my DD, yes, but it doesn't trump the performance that the german car makers clearly have a good handle on. Just my opinion.

No the reliability card isn't getting old especially when dealership shop rates are rising year over year. Keeping me out of the dealership saves me money and I will hate to give that one up.

My dealership was once $70 per hr shop rate. Now it's $125 per hr and looking to jump again before the end of the year.
Old 05-04-16, 12:01 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM

If I'm going German I'm going Merc. Audi would be last on my list. I think their cars are too bland and bloated.
Old 05-04-16, 12:14 PM
FFM
Racer

Originally Posted by Justin727
No the reliability card isn't getting old especially when dealership shop rates are rising year over year. Keeping me out of the dealership saves me money and I will hate to give that one up.

My dealership was once $70 per hr shop rate. Now it's $125 per hr and looking to jump again before the end of the year.
That sucks for people that can't work on their own cars, or afford to go to the dealer

But seriously, it's the immediate defense mechanism as soon as german cars are brought up in comparison, pretty weak if you ask me. I own both, wifes Merc has a 100k mile warranty and the M3 has 140k of problem free miles, so we good
Old 05-04-16, 12:17 PM
ebbsnflows
Driver School Candidate

I've owned 2 Audi's (a 2004 S4 and a 2011 S5) and while I think they are some of the best looking, most aesthetically pleasing cars on the road, I will NEVER own another. The S4 was rock solid reliable. I drove it for 3 years (which is a personal record for me keeping a car) and other than scheduled maintenance items, it never gave me a ounce of trouble. I genuinely loved the car. A few years (and few toys) later, I decided to pick up another weekend toy: a 2011 Audi S5. It was a disaster from the start. It had problems almost immediately (numerous quality control issues on the interior), but the real problem didn't happen until it had a whopping 18K miles on it. That's when it broke down and stranded me 2 hrs from home. The break-down was caused by Audi's dreaded "carbon build-up issue" (just google it if you're not familiar...you'll get about eleventy-billion hits on that). During the 2 hour tow-truck ride to the dealership, I did some research on my phone and (as I had already suspected), based on my symptoms I knew it was the carbon issue. As I said earlier, Google is flooded with posts regarding the subject and how rampant it is. Based on the apparent ubiquitous nature of the problem, I fully expected to arrive at the dealership and be greeted with an apology and a story about how Audi was working diligently to resolve this well-known problem. Instead, the dealership feigned ignorance on the matter and ultimately tried to blame it on "poor gas" (I run only 93 octane Shell). And even when I provided a 50-page printout of a forum post clearly showing that it was a rampant issue with the D-I motors, they still played dumb. Furthermore I emailed the service manager and provided over 15 different internet forums and sites that discussed how widespread the problem was...with many owners having to have their motor cracked open and the build-up removed 2-3 times in a 45k mile period. And yet the dealership refused to budge from the "caused by bad gas" assessment. So my question him was..."where the hell can myself and the hundreds of thousands of other suffering Audi owners (spanning multiple Audi models) get a superior 93 Octane fuel on this planet?...because the complaints on the internet span the entire globe." Audi of America was even less help. They were just as dismissive as the worthless dealership. I simply could not believe that German engineers can't design a motor that can only run 18-20K miles without requiring it to be opened up and cleaned. Needless to say I sold the car a couple of months later. Fast forward to a 9 months ago. Our neighbors purchased a 2015 Audi A3 (with their wonderful Direct injection motor). I joked with them about the carbon-buildup and reliability issues. Over a 9 month period it was in the shop 4 times for various issues (sensors/lights) and with just 12K miles on it, it had to go into the shop for....that's right....carbon buildup! They just traded the car in last weekend for a Subaru. LOL.
Old 05-04-16, 12:38 PM
FFM
Racer

I was shopping for RS5 and decided against buying that boat with the inevitable carbon buildup. Audi is my least favorite of the german brands. Look good though. But I can look at plenty of them around me without owning one haha.
Old 05-04-16, 12:52 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

My friend has S5 making 679whp (not fair, he has some performance shop) he told me to forget the RS with NA engine. Yes, RS5 is more comparable to F cars on the paper.
S4 & S5 are supercharged, tuners do wonders with these.
Old 05-04-16, 12:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Also according to westwest888, "Nobody brings a Lexus to the track"
tell that clown I have 15 track days in 2 years in states and on 6 racetracks

I slaughter Audis on the track. They are slow and they roll like wallowing fat pigs. I look at them as I go through the corner thinking, Why is it that I can see all of his fender liner LMAO

Quick Reply: ISF vs. Audi