IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Flowmaster mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 12:42 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Flowmaster mufflers

I will probably be the first to have them on an IS F. I will be having welding in Friday. I'll see how if sounds, then go from there.
Old 04-28-16, 01:06 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm sure they'll sound beasty.
Old 04-28-16, 01:32 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joker4096
I'm sure they'll sound beasty.
who knows. I don't really think they'll sound great with a DOHC modular engine. but hey they were cheap
Old 04-28-16, 01:48 PM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which model? Curious how this will sound, as I was eyeing some Flowmasters too.
Old 04-28-16, 02:01 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sameer89
Which model? Curious how this will sound, as I was eyeing some Flowmasters too.
40 Series Mufflers . I've had them on my foxbody mustangs with off road h-pipe and they sound great. but then I went to Magnaflow on the mustang and my lightning.
they aren't the prettiest, but no ones going to be looking under the car except me and those interested in what I have. i'll have the shop if they can delete the secondary cats, if not I'll remove the resonator.
Old 04-29-16, 07:10 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a set of flow masters on my car when I bought it, Sounded great but the drone was un bearable.
Old 04-29-16, 07:25 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Biggu
I had a set of flow masters on my car when I bought it, Sounded great but the drone was un bearable.
were the cats and resonator on or off. change of plans. seller was firm on price so I'm going to buy two summit race mufflers that are equivalent to blow master and keep the cats and resonator on. but still debating if I should change to an aftermarket resonator; not sure if it'll make a difference.
Old 04-29-16, 08:03 AM
Sameer89
Pole Position

I was considering to use some bullet race mufflers for my car.. (4 of them). Might sound ridiculous. lol..

http://stainlessheaders.eclipticcms....omracemufflers
Old 04-29-16, 09:11 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

I was considering to use some bullet race mufflers for my car.. (4 of them). Might sound ridiculous. lol..

http://stainlessheaders.eclipticcms....omracemufflers
had them on my 5.0 mustang with two high flow cats and shorty headers. they do sound good. I was thinking of the summit bullet muffler. still undecided, but placing order today.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-630163
Old 04-29-16, 11:35 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about them, but didn't want to deal with drone. I ended up doing dual Magnaflows custom piped from the Y back so it's 2.5 all the way. The resonator is still there and there's no drone this way. I just liked that the magnaflow is only loud when you get on it.
Old 04-29-16, 11:54 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mindcrime
were the cats and resonator on or off. change of plans. seller was firm on price so I'm going to buy two summit race mufflers that are equivalent to blow master and keep the cats and resonator on. but still debating if I should change to an aftermarket resonator; not sure if it'll make a difference.

It was cats and resonators both in tact still. person cut off factory muffler and welded the flow master on.

In cutting off the muffler and welding straight pipe was much less drone than the flow master. this was until I removed the cats.
Old 04-29-16, 12:42 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rmillsISF
I thought about them, but didn't want to deal with drone. I ended up doing dual Magnaflows custom piped from the Y back so it's 2.5 all the way. The resonator is still there and there's no drone this way. I just liked that the magnaflow is only loud when you get on it.
I'm on a budget lol. but yeah I was looking for a decent pair of used magna flows. I have a complete magna flow setup on my lightning with stock manifolds and its loud
Old 04-29-16, 01:54 PM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Since we're talking exhaust here... I wanted to bring up the remarks from Lexus when the ISF was debuted.. So it seems that the exhaust goes from 2.4 in. > 2.7 in. > 2.1 in. Most/all exhausts offered for the ISF today are only in 2.5 in. piping diameter. I wonder if anyone has tried stepping up to a 3 in. setup with additional gains reported?

Originally Posted by Lexus USA
The stainless steel exhaust system starts with tubular exhaust manifolds and integrated catalysts. Next come dual 2.4-inch diameter front pipes that are joined before a pre-muffler and 2.7-inch single center pipe, after which the system splits into two 2.1-inch pipes and enters dual 16.8-liter mufflers.
Old 04-29-16, 06:47 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Since we're talking exhaust here... I wanted to bring up the remarks from Lexus when the ISF was debuted.. So it seems that the exhaust goes from 2.4 in. > 2.7 in. > 2.1 in. Most/all exhausts offered for the ISF today are only in 2.5 in. piping diameter. I wonder if anyone has tried stepping up to a 3 in. setup with additional gains reported?
3 inch piping or 3 inch inlet/outlet mufflers? i don't even have 3 inch exhaust on my lightning.
Old 04-29-16, 07:14 PM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mindcrime
3 inch piping or 3 inch inlet/outlet mufflers? i don't even have 3 inch exhaust on my lightning.
I am referring to 3 inch piping from headers back.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster mufflers