IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Freakin' smell when wot.. Solved..

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 10:27 PM
sy02
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by av8or
no need to remove your bumper.. access is thru your trunk on each corner, underneath the plastic trays
thanks both
Old 04-30-16, 02:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

i sealed them and no more smell.. what does that say? i think that was the problem.. other solution suggest change gas, replace cabin air filter, get new exhaust...wonder how those turned out.. some say the problems lies in the catalytic converter, inherent problem in all toyotas ( i dunno).. bottom line, like it or not, it's up to you.. if anyone finds another possible cheap solution, i'm all ears.. and willing to try.. but for now, i'm enjoying my sulfur smell free cabin, until someone pulls my finger that is...

btw i did change my cabin air filter but smell was still there..
My point was if they are falling apart, then replace them with new ones.. Don't seal them..

With new property working / flapping ones, you shouldn't have exhaust fumes entering the car from the rear side cabin ventilators..

As our cars continue to age... Things like this will begin to need to be replaced..

Example for me was my cracked manifold flanges.. I had a smell on start up and ticking as well.

Luckily extended warranty can cover things like this..

Joe Z
Old 05-01-16, 01:31 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
My point was if they are falling apart, then replace them with new ones.. Don't seal them..

With new property working / flapping ones, you shouldn't have exhaust fumes entering the car from the rear side cabin ventilators..

As our cars continue to age... Things like this will begin to need to be replaced..

Example for me was my cracked manifold flanges.. I had a smell on start up and ticking as well.

Luckily extended warranty can cover things like this..

Joe Z
Way ahead of you joe.. Already ordered a pair 4 days ago, that's why i got the part number.. If it works with the new vents then good, if not, it's back to being sealed.. Seriously, did some canyon runs yesterday and up palomar, pushing the car hard and never did once get any smell inside the cabin.. I am now 100% sure that is where the smell is coming from.. i am also considering just leaving one taped off (underneath the amp) and putting the new vent on the drivers side when i get them.. I figured as long as there is air coming out, doesn't need to have 2 holes.. Also lessens the chance of bigger volume of that sulfur smell being sucked in again if it doesn't work ( these flaps will open away from turns since they are not spring loaded, centrifugal force will open them).. We'll see how it goes..

Last edited by av8or; 05-01-16 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 07:22 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Ok.. So i replaced one vent with a brand new one but kept the vent underneath the amp closed.. Driving to work this morning at 4am on the freeway, 100mph no smell but as soon as i hit 120mph-140mph, the sulfur smell is back with a vengeance.
Old 05-13-16, 08:09 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.. So i replaced one vent with a brand new one but kept the vent underneath the amp closed.. Driving to work this morning at 4am on the freeway, 100mph no smell but as soon as i hit 120mph-140mph, the sulfur smell is back with a vengeance.
Why the F are you going 120-140mph? Here's how you solve the smell problem, stop driving like that! Jesus you're gonna kill someone or yourself, save it for the track.
Old 05-13-16, 08:11 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Seal the other up and then report back with your new findings.
Old 05-13-16, 11:00 AM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
Why the F are you going 120-140mph? Here's how you solve the smell problem, stop driving like that! Jesus you're gonna kill someone or yourself, save it for the track.
if you read my entire post (which obviously you did not), it was 4 am in
the am, no car around but me. And it wasn't as if i did it all the way. Just
wanted to see if the problem went away. Sorry, but i have no time to go to a track primarily there is none near me. and don't act like your not guilty of speeding.. At least i did it when the freeway was empty. Next time understand the intent before you make useless comments
Old 05-13-16, 01:18 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdave86
I thought the smell was because of the cats........meow
This is what I thought after reading some posts here. I get this smell at WOT all the time. I had a dealer check exhausts and replaced gaskets. I am about to order high flow cats just to get rid of that smell. Can anyone confirm?
Old 05-13-16, 01:26 PM
tgui
Pole Position

wanted to see if the problem went away. Sorry, but i have no time to go to a track primarily there is none near me. and don't act like your not guilty of speeding.. At least i did it when the freeway was empty. Next time understand the intent before you make useless comments
No he's right. 140 on public roads is stupid. Even more stupid when its dark out. Plus, do you spend an appreciable amount of time at 100+mph? Probably not, so your testing reason are just as idiotic as your driving antics.
Old 05-13-16, 03:06 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stvincent
This is what I thought after reading some posts here. I get this smell at WOT all the time. I had a dealer check exhausts and replaced gaskets. I am about to order high flow cats just to get rid of that smell. Can anyone confirm?
Yes, the sulfur smell is from a highly efficient 3 way catalytic emissions system. In 2017 the rest of the country will have to be subjected to sulfur limits in gasoline like CA has been. It goes from 80 ppm allowable to 10 ppm. Gas prices will increase but emissions system should last longer since sulfur is on of the main components that degrades the materials inside the cats.
Old 05-13-16, 05:40 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

No I did read it, which is why I called you out for being a moron. Everyone speeds, but doing double the speed limit, on a public road, in the dark, is idiotic.

Originally Posted by tgui
No he's right. 140 on public roads is stupid. Even more stupid when its dark out. Plus, do you spend an appreciable amount of time at 100+mph? Probably not, so your testing reason are just as idiotic as your driving antics.
Agreed, he probably regularly does it.
Old 05-13-16, 06:59 PM
av8or
Intermediate

No I did read it, which is why I called you out for being a moron. Everyone speeds, but doing double the speed limit, on a public road, in the dark, is idiotic.

Agreed, he probably regularly does it.
First of all, no need for name calling here..Such a big man behind the keyboard.. Are you going to the meet here in escondido? Look for me.. Second, i do not speed since my job requires i go way faster than that. Finally, it was done very quickly and then backed off and maintained normal speed.. Not even 2 miles covered
That was the only time and way i can test my theory.. 4am, on the freeway, one quick wot and it was done.. Go ahead and pm me please..I would be so much interested on what you have to say.. And stop hiding behind ypur keyboard.. I will be in sfo also next week so we can discuss this further if you are not able to make it here in escondido.. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this..

Last edited by av8or; 05-13-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-13-16, 07:12 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

"I went 120 to 140"

"I do not speed"

Old 05-13-16, 07:40 PM
av8or
Intermediate

"I went 120 to 140"

"I do not speed"

I see you signed up.. See you at the meet.. Name calling here on the forum is childish..
Old 05-13-16, 08:38 PM
tgui
Pole Position

I see you signed up.. See you at the meet.. Name calling here on the forum is childish..
Awww, implied threats. Youre a piece of **** off the road too?

Quick Reply: Freakin' smell when wot.. Solved..